• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pub Quiz League

Yesterday's photograph was once a main feature of the Digital Handsworth site which disappeared a while back. I think Lyn is very familiar with the place having rummaged around the shell or ruins! It is, of course, the Beehive on Soho Hill. The image is still online on the Birmingham Library Images site at : https://www.search.birminghamimages...e=2&ExhibitionID=55&PageIndex=49&SearchType=3

Well done to those who solved the picture quiz. Elmo and Curly close the gap on the leader with Astoness further consolidating 4th place ...

League Table
Guyarab 19 Points
Elmo 17 Points
Curly 16 Points
Astoness 8 Points
knobbydave 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Mikejee 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
Williamstreeter 2 Points
sospiri 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Time for another interior photograph with a sea of tiling .... in which pub did I take this photograph?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Monday 22.00hrs 4th May. Good luck!

34.jpg

All those tiles in yesterday's photograph tricked a few people but well done to those who recognised the interior of the Red Lion on Soho Road at Handsworth. This building is in a terrible mess these days so I am glad that I took some photographs before it went rapidly downhill. I fear the worst for this place.

League Table
Guyarab 20 Points
Elmo 18 Points
Curly 17 Points
Astoness 9 Points
knobbydave 3 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Mikejee 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
Williamstreeter 2 Points
sospiri 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
A bit of street art for today's photograph. The building has not been a tavern for some time but, of course, you have to name the pub? Oh, nearly forgot, my pic dates from 2002.

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Tuesday 22.00hrs 5th May. Good luck!

35.jpg

All those tiles in yesterday's photograph tricked a few people but well done to those who recognised the interior of the Red Lion on Soho Road at Handsworth. This building is in a terrible mess these days so I am glad that I took some photographs before it went rapidly downhill. I fear the worst for this place.

League Table
Guyarab 20 Points
Elmo 18 Points
Curly 17 Points
Astoness 9 Points
knobbydave 3 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Mikejee 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
Williamstreeter 2 Points
sospiri 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
A bit of street art for today's photograph. The building has not been a tavern for some time but, of course, you have to name the pub? Oh, nearly forgot, my pic dates from 2002.

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Tuesday 22.00hrs 5th May. Good luck!

View attachment 144769

Kieron after your pm last informing me my guess was incorrect . Within 2 minutes I had nominated The Red Lion and checked the inside decor but as you know I could not resubmit because it was too late .

Well done to all those who weren't fooled by the paint job on the former Royal Oak on the corner of Fazeley Street and Andover Street. The building has a different colour scheme these days :

35a.jpg

League Table
Guyarab 21 Points
Elmo 19 Points
Curly 18 Points
Astoness 9 Points
knobbydave 4 Points
Williamstreeter 3 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Mikejee 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
A Sparks 1 Point
sospiri 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
A bit of a twist for the midweek mystery - an inter-war aerial photograph with an enlargement of a pub undergoing structural alterations. Name the pub?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Wednesday 22.00hrs 6th May. Good luck!

36.jpg

Yesterday's aerial photograph seems to have stumped a lot of folks. I deliberately left in a few clues to help, particularly the old tram sheds on the Moseley Road. This appears to have been the key factor with people realising that the street in which the pub was located was Brighton Road. The pub was, of course, the Malt Shovel - now an eatery of some sort. I knew Mikejee would crack this one so he moves up a couple of places in the league table ....

League Table
Guyarab 22 Points
Elmo 20 Points
Curly 19 Points
Astoness 9 Points
knobbydave 4 Points
Mikejee 3 Points
Williamstreeter 3 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
A Sparks 1 Point
sospiri 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
An old colour pic for today, the pub being in the left foreground. I see an old Ford Cortina .... I knew somebody who bought a second-hand model in 1971 so not that old really. However, when it came to the next MOT the garage said it would be a wonder if the car made it off the forecourt - a total knacker. Anyway, name the pub?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Thursday 22.00hrs 7th May. Good luck!

37.jpg

I wondered how many people would remember this photograph uploaded by Lyn a few years ago. I did some history of the Bell Inn on Lozells Road at : https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/lozells-road/bell-inn.htm
Williamstreeter moves back ahead of Mikejee, Astoness chalks up double figures and the top 3 remain unchanged ....

League Table
Guyarab 23 Points
Elmo 21 Points
Curly 20 Points
Astoness 10 Points
knobbydave 4 Points
Williamstreeter 4 Points
Mikejee 3 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
A Sparks 1 Point
sospiri 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Another oddity to throw into the mix - a drawing! I do not know if a photograph of this pub exists? So, let's see how or if this shakes things up a bit - name the pub?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Friday 22.00hrs 8th May. Good luck!

38.jpg

yes well done to those who got the bell inn correct...here is the old bottle i have with landlords name adam powell on it...landlord of the bell from 1881 to 1890 i believe so it has to be at least 130 years old...takes pride of place in my kitchen

bell inn bottle adam powell.jpg

Well, yesterday's illustration truly sent many folks back to the drawing board. Perhaps it should have been the "Saturday Stinker?" I believed that the drawing was quite well-known as it is featured on the Birmingham Library pages at :
Some info on that page is included beneath the illustration but I believe Curly is going to post some material after this update. A very well done to him and also to Elmo who were the only forum members to correctly identify this long-lost tavern. They have both closed the gap on the league leader ....

League Table
Guyarab 23 Points
Elmo 22 Points
Curly 21 Points
Astoness 10 Points
knobbydave 4 Points
Williamstreeter 4 Points
Mikejee 3 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
A Sparks 1 Point
sospiri 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Another hard pic for this week's Saturday Stinker. I feel a bit guilty posting another "toughie" after such a hard task yesterday. However, it is Saturday so it is time to suffer!!

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Saturday 22.00hrs 9th May. Good luck!

39.jpg

Discovered during my search for the Orange Tree Tavern (probably the flattened building in the 'old Bank' photos).
Location today? Somewhere hereabouts:- https://goo.gl/maps/Tg1N3rh7yGABwvZ77

Attachments

• 2822180_43e3ad80.jpg
    2822180_43e3ad80.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Balsall Heath Belgrave Rd Moseley Rd Junction Midland Bank_opt.jpg
    Balsall Heath Belgrave Rd Moseley Rd Junction Midland Bank_opt.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 5385700_94147aa2.jpg
    5385700_94147aa2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Balsall-Heath-6.jpg
    Balsall-Heath-6.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 11
  • OT Tav Map 1889.jpg
    OT Tav Map 1889.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 11
  • OT Tavern.jpg
    OT Tavern.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 11
Yesterday's "Saturday Stinker" [Prince of Wales at Angelina Street] saw only two correct answers - well done you pair - and, continuing a hot run of form, Elmo moves to the top of the league. OK, it is only an alphabetical lead but Guyarab has been leading the way for ages so it makes for an exciting development. After supplying images on the Orange Tree [ta very much], Curly is now only one point behind two others ....

League Table
Elmo 23 Points
Guyarab 23 Points
Curly 22 Points
Astoness 10 Points
knobbydave 4 Points
Williamstreeter 4 Points
Mikejee 3 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
A Sparks 1 Point
sospiri 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
A slightly easier photograph for your Sunday poser. The government's new phrase today is "Stay Alert" so do your best as the BHF needs Lerts!

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Sunday 22.00hrs 10th May. Good luck!

40.jpg

Last edited:
I am surprised at the low number of entries for yesterday's photograph as the image appears on BHF in a couple of threads and is a much-discussed boozer. It is, of course, the Small Heath Tavern aka The Wrexham on Coventry Road. The league remains unchanged ....

League Table
Elmo 24 Points
Guyarab 24 Points
Curly 23 Points
Astoness 10 Points
knobbydave 4 Points
Williamstreeter 4 Points
Mikejee 3 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
A Sparks 1 Point
sospiri 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Despite Boris's mixed message, the lockdown continues so the Pub Quiz League goes on. A nice inter-war image for today's poser - but which pub is it?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Monday 22.00hrs 11th May. Good luck!

41.jpg

Yesterday's photograph featured the Temple Bar on Lower Temple Street and, as Guyarab points out, some of the tiling between this pub and the Shakespeare next door - and seen in this image - is still there today. Williamstreeter was the big winner as he moves up to 5th place in the league table. Well done to him and the other three who identified the pub.

League Table
Elmo 25 Points
Guyarab 25 Points
Curly 24 Points
Astoness 10 Points
Williamstreeter 5 Points
knobbydave 4 Points
Mikejee 3 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
A Sparks 1 Point
sospiri 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Another old teaser for today's photograph where you could play B L IARDS - but which pub is it?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Tuesday 22.00hrs 12th May. Good luck!

42.jpg

Only four correct answers for yesterday's image - come on folks, did you not all follow Lyn's quest for photographs of Villa Street. This was the Villa Tavern, an Atkinson's house that closed in February 1960. Well done to those who dug it out - Elmo did say it was a tough pic! More points in the table but the positions remain the same ....

League Table
Elmo 26 Points
Guyarab 26 Points
Curly 25 Points
Astoness 11 Points
Williamstreeter 5 Points
knobbydave 4 Points
Mikejee 3 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
A Sparks 1 Point
sospiri 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Well, you know how I like to shake it up a bit - today we have the Midweek Map Muddle. - there are plenty of clues to the location but which pub stood on the site indicated by the arrow?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Wednesday 22.00hrs 13th May. Good luck!

43.jpg

Being as this one involved mapping Mike was my odds-on favourite for this one! And he came up trumps in no time at all. I have offered to DOUBLE his points if he can provide the earlier name of this tavern - this offer is available to everyone.

Cor, double points!!

My impression is that the Midweek Map Muddle was an enjoyable challenge and I received some positive feedback. As members had much of the information on the map, I had to make it a slightly harder tavern to find than simply a well-known corner house. Six people correctly identified that the mystery pub was the Skinners' Arms in New Canal Street. However, DOUBLE points were on offer for those who provided the earlier name for this beer house. Mike was on the case almost immediately but it was not until late in the day that Elmo managed to dig it out. So, a big well done to those two who identified the Engineers' Arms. It may, perhaps, be interesting or of use to other members if they report how they found this as it may help those with research in other areas during family or ancestral digging.

Here is an extract of a plan dated 1875 that shows this part of Birmingham. Note that this shows both Cotton Street and Cotton Row, the housing in which were lost when the Fazeley Street Rolling Mills was enlarged, along with the expansion of other buildings such as the Provincial Hide, Skin & Fat Market and the Birmingham & Midland Counties Hide, Skin, Fat & Wool Market. In some mid-19th century directories the thoroughfare connecting to New Canal Street was labelled Engine Street. Considering that these streets were only developed in the early 19th century, their lifespan was very short - the Gooch Estate no doubt realised more land rents could be achieved from the growing businesses. Who cares about displacing people?

new-canal-street-engineers-arms-map-1875.jpg

Quite a few changes in the league after this puzzle ...

League Table
Elmo 28 Points
Guyarab 27 Points
Curly 26 Points
Astoness 11 Points
Mikejee 5 Points
knobbydave 5 Points
Williamstreeter 5 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
A Sparks 1 Point
Pedrocut 1 Point
sospiri 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Well, I am continuing to shake it up a bit - today we have a tavern check, a new element to the Pub Quiz League. You have to name the pub in which this check was valid.

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Thursday 22.00hrs 14th May. Good luck!

44.jpg

In answer to Kieron's suggestion, I admit I probably have more available resources than many members, so had an advantage here. The characteristic 3-pronged canal junction was relatively easy to find on early maps., which identified new canal st. I then looked into my directories at that side of new canal st. and found (in 1890 one I think) only the Skinners arms on that side of the street at no 16. Looking for earlier years, where the name of the pub is not given , I then searched in the newpaper archives for those names till I found one at a pub in New Canal St. alternatively i could hav elooked at earlier censuses to find no 16 and hope it gave a name.

Identifying the location was quite straightforward by comparing maps. I found reference to the Skinners Arms on here, located next door to the Dogs home and confirmed the address as no 16 on pub wiki. It made sense with its locality to the Skin and Hide market. There was no further ref to the Skinners Arms prior to 1892 on pub wiki. Looking at an earlier map than this showed Engine St as the cut through. Referring to Keiron's list of pubs for New Canal Street on his website, I logically dismissed all, by address/location, with the exception of the Malt Shovel and the Engineers Arms. I confess to an educated guess at the Engineers due to the proximity to Engine Street and the factory mills nearby.
As an aside I did not come across the Jolly Boatman pub either in my searches which are only carried out with the use of Google. Edit - I have just seen it listed on Fazeley Street on Keiron's site
Many thanks to Keiron for these challenges. Having not lived in inner city Birmingham since 2000, and now in Swansea, I am enjoying trawling through this and other sites for the answers and memories, whilst I am furloughed from work.

Back