• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pub Quiz League

Only a few correct answers despite my little 'literally' clue. Well done to those who correctly identified the Lord Byron on Farm Street. A bit of a gap for the top 3 in the league. Don't give up folks!

League Table
Guyarab 8 Points
Curly 7 Points
Elmo 5 Points
Astoness 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
knobbydave 2 Points
Morturn 1 Point
Williamstreeter 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
A slightly offbeat selection today - I took this photograph in 2011. The building is fully restored now.

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Thursday 22.00hrs 16th April. Good luck!

16.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't know if the pic with scaffolding would catch anybody out but you all seem to be on the case. Well done to those who correctly identified the George and Dragon on the corner of Albion Street and Carver Street. The restored building now trades as the Pig & Tail.

League Table
Guyarab 9 Points
Curly 8 Points
Elmo 6 Points
Astoness 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
knobbydave 2 Points
Williamstreeter 2 Points
Mikejee 1 Point
Morturn 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
An inter-war photograph today of a pub on a prominent corner position.

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Friday 22.00hrs 17th April. Good luck!

17.jpg

Curly reckoned this was a "toughy" and, whilst he got it right, only a few people cracked the quiz. So a big well done to those who correctly identified the Spotted Dog on the corner of Bordesley Street and Meriden Street. The building is still licensed but is a club these days. knobbydave moves up a place in the league ....

League Table
Guyarab 10 Points
Curly 9 Points
Elmo 7 Points
Astoness 4 Points
knobbydave 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Williamstreeter 2 Points
Mikejee 1 Point
Morturn 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
After that hard one I should give you an easy one for today. However, it is raining and folks cannot go out into the garden so I have posted a "Saturday Stinker" for you to crack.

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Saturday 22.00hrs 18th April. Good luck!

18.jpg

Elmo said "Well.... that was certainly a Saturday Stinker." It was a truly 'orrible test of identification. And Elmo was indeed the ONLY one to correctly identify the Wellington on the corner of Mary Street and Balsall Heath Road. At the time of the photograph the pub was temporarily known as The Criterion. It was Branch No.3 of the pub chain operated by the Jones family. So, the league table positions remain the same except for Elmo applying some pressure on the Top 2 ...

League Table
Guyarab 10 Points
Curly 9 Points
Elmo 8 Points
Astoness 4 Points
knobbydave 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Williamstreeter 2 Points
Mikejee 1 Point
Morturn 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
After that really hard one I have made it a little easier for Sunday as you may be back in the garden with the sun out or preparing a slap-up dinner. Mind you, it is not ridiculously easy.

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Sunday 22.00hrs 19th April. Good luck!

19.jpg

Sorry for the delay this morning, I got involved in the epic "Location wanted for this bus if possible" thread of which I am declaring myself the league winner! So, better late than never .... surprisingly, given that this was a city centre establishment, just two correct answers were submitted. So well done to Curly and Elmo who correctly identified The Beehive on Bull Street, another of Birmingham's grand public-houses to have been lost. So, it is very tight now at the top of the league table with only one point separating the Top 3. Curly goes top simply by alphabetical order ...

League Table
Curly 10 Points
Guyarab 10 Points
Elmo 9 Points
Astoness 4 Points
knobbydave 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Williamstreeter 2 Points
Mikejee 1 Point
Morturn 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Here's a very nice photograph taken around 1930 ...

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Monday 22.00hrs 20th April. Good luck!

20.jpg

I think I may have underestimated the difficulty of yesterday's photograph. I think all previously published photographs of this pub show a factory next door but here we can see the little shop that formerly adjoined the building. Elmo said it was "a toughie" but he pulled it out of the bag [again]! Clearly on hot form! Guyarab also identified the Prince of Wales on Long Acre/Thimble Mill Lane. So, a change at the top and Elmo moving into joint second place ...

League Table
Guyarab 11 Points
Curly 10 Points
Elmo 10 Points
Astoness 4 Points
knobbydave 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Williamstreeter 2 Points
Mikejee 1 Point
Morturn 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Back to more recent times with today's photograph. I took this image in 2006 ...

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Tuesday 22.00hrs 21st April. Good luck!

21.jpg

The lack of buildings around the pic of yesterday's pub did not fool everyone. I still find it odd that almost everything was demolished in what was once a very congested part of the city. The pub, of course, is the Fountain Inn on the corner of Wrentham Street and Kent Street. As you can see from this Google pic, there are new buildings emerging in both Kent Street and Wrentham Street .....

21-Today.jpg

So, a big well done to those who spotted the place and earned a point. Still tight at the top of the league and Morturn moves up a couple of places ....

League Table
Guyarab 12 Points
Curly 11 Points
Elmo 11 Points
Astoness 4 Points
knobbydave 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
Williamstreeter 2 Points
Mikejee 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
I don't know if everyone has noticed but this series of photographs is featuring some rare and previously unpublished images - a bonus! Today's is a very unusual one in that it shows a pub being built. How many pics do you see like this?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Wednesday 22.00hrs 22nd April. Good luck!

22.jpg

I am very impressed with the way some of you are solving these picture puzzles. I have no idea what methods are being used. I am sure I wouldn't cope as well with some of the harder pics I have posted. The Top3 all cracked this photograph of The Highbury on the junction of Dad's Lane and Moor Green Lane. I have a date of 27-01-1926 for the image but this seems a bit early given that the pub did not open until the summer of 1929. Well done to Guyarab, Curly and Elmo for solving this. Guyarab continues to lead but only by a point!

League Table
Guyarab 13 Points
Curly 12 Points
Elmo 12 Points
Astoness 4 Points
knobbydave 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
Williamstreeter 2 Points
Mikejee 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph EXCLUSIVE EDITION
I have a unique task for you all today. As I said above, I do not know how you identify all the Birmingham pubs. I imagine there is a lot of local knowledge, flicking through books on Brum etc. However, today is a complete test of your online research skills.

Yesterday, I was sent a photo-scan from STEAM, the museum of the Great Western Railway. Here is the e-mail message I received from the museum .....
"We have a monochrome slide which we believe shows a scene in late 19th/early 20th century London , perhaps near Paddington Station . An impressive 4-storey building carries 2 advertising hoardings on a side wall. One refers to the Station Hotel, and that name also appears on the front. The other is for Flower & Sons Pale & Strong Ales . We would like to positively identify the location if possible. Your website indicates that Flower & Sons had pubs outside the Midlands . Are you aware of any named the Station Hotel in central London?"
Now, that is all I had to go on. I liked the image, especially as there was an unusual trike in the foreground. I set myself a limit of one hour to try to identify the location. It actually took me eight minutes. I did not use any books or personal archive material. I only used online resources that are available to every member of the public - so you have the same tools as myself to solve this puzzle. I realise this is outside of Birmingham but I thought it would make an excellent challenge within our Pub Quiz League.

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Thursday 22.00hrs 23rd April. Good luck!

Station-Hotel.jpg

Well, yesterday's photograph saw a new entrant to the Pub Quiz League as Maurice was straight on the case. He says it took him about five minutes. I was probably around this mark but, because I was submitting an answer to a museum I had to do a few double-checks to make sure I was 100 per cent accurate.

The day went on and no answers were forthcoming so I thought that Maurice was going to be the only one to crack it. Then, with one hour to go Guyarab submitted a correct answer. So well done to both of you for identifying the location.

The first thing I did was check whether or not it was a Flower's pub. This is easy enough - there is a list of their public-houses on the excellent Brewery History site : http://breweryhistory.com/wiki/index.php?title=List_of_Flower_&_Sons_Ltd_pubs

The company sent beers down to London via the canal network and then the railways so it would seem that the Station Hotel simply stocked their beer rather than being owned by them.

There is a good resource at https://pubwiki.co.uk/ which, although it started off as a London database, now has contributions from all over the UK. A search on that site turns up the Station Hotel at 1 Kew Road at Richmond. Here is a view of the building today trading as One Kew Road ....

Station-Hotel-Google.jpg

At first glance, it does not look like the same building and it is not at the end of a row. However, the windows on the upper floors are in the same position and the same shape. Also, note the chimney stack - matches the old photo! Note also the smaller building adjoining - similar size and shape as in the old pic. Plus the building is across the road from a railway station. All looking good so far.

Station-Hotel-1928.jpg

I then had a quick look on Britain From Above to see what this street looked like in the past. They have a view from 1928 with the Station Hotel facing Richmond Railway Station. Note the distinctive twin chimney stacks either side of the two rows of windows - matching the old pic sent by the museum. The road bridge can be seen here but this is lost in the current development.

Station-Hotel-Map.jpg

Next, I just wanted to check that the post box as seen in the old pic on the left was marked on an old map. And here is the letters L. B. on a century-old map.

After I had done all this, I noticed that somebody has a "now and then" version of the hotel at :

Station-Hotel-Plaque.jpg

Just for added interest, especially for music fans, the Station Hotel has a very unique place in modern music history. There are a number of sites that talk about the Crawdaddy Club and the Station Hotel. They had to move due to the popularity of the Stones but were followed by The Yardbirds.

And finally for train buffs, a pic of the station itself. Note the hotel in the background ....

Station.jpg

So, Guyarab extends his lead by a point .....

League Table
Guyarab 14 Points
Curly 12 Points
Elmo 12 Points
Astoness 4 Points
knobbydave 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
Williamstreeter 2 Points
Mikejee 1 Point
sospiri 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Well, we have had old photographs, recent photographs, a pub being built photo, so today I thought we could have an interior photograph. This is a pic I took in 2002 - as you can see the customers are having a good laugh, largely due to the bloke at the top end of the room. But where was I?

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Friday 22.00hrs 24th April. Good luck!

24.jpg

I didn't twig the Station Hotel until I did a couple of minutes searching with Google, but I have parked in that station car park dozens of times on my way from Bournemouth to Central London - a lot cheaper than parking in Central London. Nowadays Central London is a no-go for cars unless you're loaded.

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
A bit late as the forum was on the blink this morning. No correct answers for the interior shot of yesterday. The photograph was taken inside the New Moseley Arms [also known as The Clock] on the corner of Tindal Street and Edward Road. As you can see, the interior has changed somewhat ....

24a.jpg

So, the league stays the same ....

League Table
Guyarab 14 Points
Curly 12 Points
Elmo 12 Points
Astoness 4 Points
knobbydave 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
Williamstreeter 2 Points
Mikejee 1 Point
sospiri 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Well, I was going to give you another Saturday Stinker but I think you have all had a difficult time of it this last couple of days so I have amended my plan and offering something a little less taxing - or have I?

25.jpg

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Saturday 22.00hrs 25th April. Good luck!

Back