• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pub on Stephenson St/Pallasades

nexus-t

Gilded Cage on Stephenson St/Pallasades

Wondered if anyone can enlighten me or if I am just imagining things?

I moved to Brum around 1993 and I'm sure there was a bar/pub on Stephenson Street, in the Pallasades building, that had an all-black frontage and was a bit intimidating to look at. I think it was roughly where the William Hill bookies is now, along the covered over footpath where the bus stops are (across the road from Subway, Waterstones back door etc.).

I'm sure I went in there once, but can't remember anything more about it, and would love to know what it was called, when it closed etc. Repeated Googling is coming up with nothing, I guess because I don't have a name to go on, and as it was part of the Pallasades building it may not always have registered as Stephenson Street.

Hopefully someone can help!
Thanks.

It was originally called the Gilded Cage and was an M & B pub. Don't recall when it closed, but it was a very rough establishment

My Kelly's for 1973 gives "Gilded Cage" P H, by the Christian Literature Shop which was no.51. At least that gives a number to use perhaps?
rosie.

Sorry our posts crossed, I take so long to type!!

Thanks very much rosie & geoffopo - at least now I have a name! If anyone has a photo it would clear things up nicely for me - though why anyone would take a photo of a dark looking pub under a concrete canopy would be a mystery to me!

Oops just tried to rename this thread to Gilded Cage in the hope it might jog a few people's memories or at least photo albums, but I'm not sure how to (sorry, newbie!) - can anyone oblige or is this a change only mods can make? Cheers.

I remember it as not exactly a quiet pub, but don't remember it as as rough as some were.

I think it changed it's name from The Guilded Cage to The Exchange in the late 70's I used to drink there after the Tavern was bombed. They had one of the first Space Invader machines in the town centre, it was just inside the door on the right hand side. I spent hours playing on it when I had time off the barrow, it must have cost me a small fortune.

Back