• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pub on corner of Hylton Street/Vyse Street that is now the Hylton Cafe

brianthelion

master brummie
Can anyone help with the name/details/pics of a former pub which was in the premises that are now the Hylton Cafe in the Jewellery Quarter? I belive the pub closed in the late 50s/early 60s but could be wrong. Many thanks

Are you certain that there was a pub there? as I cannot find and pub there

Can anyone help with the name/details/pics of a former pub which was in the premises that are now the Hylton Cafe in the Jewellery Quarter? I belive the pub closed in the late 50s/early 60s but could be wrong. Many thanks

May just have been a beer house but definately appeared in a photo I saw in one of the Birmingham books, I think one of the Hockley ones however my copy is elsewhere at the moment. Gary the current cafe owner also recalls the photo.

In 1930 the electoral roll lists no 2 Hylton st as the Nelson Inn.. The census does not name it in 1881,1891 or 1900, though does state that it was a beerhouse. Up till 1882 the address was 26 Richard St

A query that came in to me this afternoon from New Zealand.....

Does anyone, by any chance, know the origin of the name Hylton as applied to this particular street? Name of a councillor, businessman or whatever? Many thanks that someone can save me from an awful lot of digging!

Maurice

Ha ha, Brumgum, that's not my usual first port of call for geneaological research! The street first appears on the 1861 census when it was almost entirely occupied by people in the jewellery trade. The Nelson Inn doesn't appear until much later, 1891 I think. Can't spot anyone there named Hylton, so could be the original landowner or one of his/her relations. More digging required!

Maurice

Ha ha, Brumgum, that's not my usual first port of call for geneaological research! The street first appears on the 1861 census when it was almost entirely occupied by people in the jewellery trade. The Nelson Inn doesn't appear until much later, 1891 I think. Can't spot anyone there named Hylton, so could be the original landowner or one of his/her relations. More digging required!

Maurice
I just googled" Hylton Birmingham" and the Cafe was very prominent:emmersed: i will try the breakfast one day and give a report:loyal:.

Yes, just had a look at the Trip Advisor pic - quite a yuppy establishment these days!
I love the whole area to be honest, so much history. I'm often to be found traipsing about on me bike looking for something new..
bike ride 088.jpg bike ride 071.jpg bike ride 087.jpg bike ride 019.jpg bike ride 018.jpg

Maurice
The name Hylton does appear in the Vyse family name for some reason..
https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/...ton-Howard-Vyse?LinkID=mp80651&role=sit&rNo=0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Vyse

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smallbrook-Birmingham-Buckingham-elsewhere-Howard-Vyse/dp/B000WGQZ7E

As Mike says the pub on the corner of Hylton St and Vyse St was the Nelson Inn. The pub only occupied the ground floor of the building and just about managed to last until the end of WW1 by the 1920's the building was occupied by Thomas Shaw Art Enameller.

Attachments

• img283.jpg
    img283.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 39
Brumgum - I think you have hit it on the head there!! So often these landowning families named the streets after various family members. Thank you for that.

Maurice - oh and that fry-up looks good too! :)

Just to complete the origin.......

The 4 x great grandfather of Sir Richard Granville Hylton Howard-Vyse was Sir Richard HYLTON, way back in the 18th century. I suspect he originated way back with the other HYLTONs up in Northumberland. Many thanks to Brumgum especially - BHF triumphs again!

Maurice

Just to complete the origin.......

The 4 x great grandfather of Sir Richard Granville Hylton Howard-Vyse was Sir Richard HYLTON, way back in the 18th century. I suspect he originated way back with the other HYLTONs up in Northumberland. Many thanks to Brumgum especially - BHF triumphs again!

Maurice
:triumphant::triumphant::triumphant:

Accirding to Carl in "Streets of Brum vol 5 " Colonel Howard-Vyse's second son, Richard Henry, married Juliet Agnes , daughter of Lord Hylton . Richard's sister augusta, is remember ed in augusta St, and his brother Frederick, in Frederick St

Back