• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pub on Broad Street

evergreen

Cradley Heathen
Can anyone help with the name of a pub on Broad Street.

I used to go with my Grandad when I was little, to his R.A.M.C first world war reunions.

The pub was on the corner of a road, on the left hand side, coming from Bearwood, just before the Hall of Memory. Opposite was N.C.R cash registers and a posh furnature shop. Also I think Ronnie Scotts Jazz club was by there.

Any help would be great as I am scratching my head trying to think, so far I have only got splinters in my fingers.

Heather (Evergreen)

Can anyone help with the name of a pub on Broad Street.

I used to go with my Grandad when I was little, to his R.A.M.C first world war reunions.

The pub was on the corner of a road, on the left hand side, coming from Bearwood, just before the Hall of Memory. Opposite was N.C.R cash registers and a posh furnature shop. Also I think Ronnie Scotts Jazz club was by there.

Any help would be great as I am scratching my head trying to think, so far I have only got splinters in my fingers.

Heather (Evergreen)

Would it be The Crown Inn

Thank you so much Frothy & Ray, 2 answers to 1 question is fantastic. It was the Crown and Lee Longlands which I had also forgotten.

Any idea of the name of the Greek coffee bar that was on the same side of the road but further up. I used to go in in 1966.

Heather

Thanks Big Gee, Spent many happy lunch times in there, just a pity my memory isnt as good now. Heather

The Acropolis was the first place I ever heard anyone play guitar live and sing folk music, and I was instantly hooked. That was in the days when I was at George Dixon Grammar School at Five Ways, and a few of us would walk down Broad Street for a coffee at The Acropolis after school, and listen to the music. The gaffer was a really nice guy, about 5 foot 2 and 24 stone, as I recall...those really were happy days, for me at least.

Big Gee

Back