• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pub Nicknames.

chocks2

master brummie
Can anyone tell me why the Erdington Arms became known as "The Muckman" and was the Monkey House a real pub name or just a nickname.

Col we have this thread before,regarding the Knob there are several explanations to where it got its name.

The one i like is that the tram terminated across the road of the pub and the driver had to turn the Knob on the steering wheel all the way round to get it facing in the other direction

Mossy

The now Safe Harbour had a previous name that I cannot remember, but I always remember it as the Diggers or the Widows. But why was the pub in Trinity Road called the Rat Pan?

Regards Pedro

Pedro the rat pan got its name from early day when the gaffer went down the cellar with a rat pan to catch the rats,thats only one explanation you will find there are more

And the Diggers was my local till i moved down here 5 years ago and have only remember it as the Safe Harbour it gets that name when the barges used to pull up there years ago,i have know it by that name for about 34 years

Mossy

Chocks sorry to go off on a tangent but i dont know the answer to your Question

Also the thread title is ''Pub Nicknames''

Mossy:)

Thanks Mossy for the explanation of the Rat Pan. I lived within spitting distance of the Safe Harbour for 60 years and the first name “nickname” was the Widows and secondly the Gravediggers. I was told by an old mucker, long gone now, that the Pub was originally called something else besides the Safe Harbour. I would be interesting to see if he was right. Perhaps a look in Kelly’s Directory may help.

Sorry that I posted in the wrong place but Pub Nicknames came first to my attention.

Regards Pedro

Yes Pedro i have heard it used to be called the Widows

Alf our local resident diplomat on here came from the Ridgeway

Mossy

Searching for info for Witton Cemetery, wikipedia gives a map from 1903 and shows the Safe Harbour as the Witton Hotel.

I will try to find more

Regards Peter

Further to the information above I have looked in Kelly’s Directory from 1903 to 1967 and 23 Moor Lane was known as the Witton Hotel.

In 1969, 23 Moor Lane appears as the Safe Harbour. (I will look to see if there is a more appropriate place for this, as maybe it is a surprise to others)

Best wishes, Peter

Chocks, we have had this thread some time ago, as far as The Muckman is concerned, it is actually the Gravelley Arms, but years ago when people had dirt toilets, the waste was collected and taken to the sewage works, the carters would call in the pub on the way back and that was how it got it's nickname, or so I was told many years ago.

I have asked this question on the Gosta Green Thread about the Monkey House but to my knowledge no answer was returned . Dek

Hi Dek

I thought we had covered this question on the Gosta Green thread. The Monkey House was on the corner of Cato St & Somerset St at 49 Cato St. The correct name of the public house was The Duddeston Hall Inn.

Phil

Hii Phil i,m sorry i must have missed that. I,m a little confused now what was the name of the pub on the corner of Cato st and Duddeston Mill Rd. Dek

Hi again Dek

That would have been the Manor Arms on the corner of Cato St & Duddeston Mill Rd.

Phil

DuddestonMillCatoStManorArms-2.jpg

Both Mikejee and myself have been asked recently why the Brewery Tavern on the corner of Bloomsbury St and Cranbury St Nechells was called the Pretty Ladies. Mike and I didn't have a clue, anybody got any ideas?

Phil

My Dad and Uncle remembered a pub that was opposite 99 Wainwright street was called the Monkey which became the nick name due to the landlord having a Monkey as a pet.My dad and Uncle were just youngesters back then.I found a few pubs on the early censuses but which one got that nickname is still a mystery to us.Denise

Back