• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pub in Wychall Lane

ladylinda

master brummie
Please can someone help!!
I seem to remember a pub in the 60's and 70's in Wychall Lane on the right hand side just past Staplelodge Road junction.
It got burned down,I think, and I believe there's housing built on the land now.
Can someone refresh my memory as to the name of it,please.
Thanks.

Hi margret
you beat me to it and lady linda,i remember it being
burnt down and i also remember a character came in one night when there was a darts match on and very quickley removed a guys sheep skin coat from the coat stand and scarpered with it
and the cheeky blighter came back next night to the wilowsand waljed around the pub trying to sell it for afew bob ,
but luckily for the owner and sadly for the theive the owner collard him and gave him a hiding of his life and he never came back
afew years ago inmy younger days when the willows was standing i ran the other pub up the other end of the estate [the kings head
it was a rough estate pub both was and i was sent there by the brewery to sort it out and clean the cliental up like i use to do with a couple of he other city pubs best wishes astonian ;;;

Hi lady linda
yes i sure did know him and i think i may have a photograph of him tuck awy some where as i have gots lotsof photos of variuos gaffers of pubs because of my postion in the brewery and our general meeting and us gaffers would travel pub to pub after hours for a drink and socialize we would always use our personal side doors to our
qaurters never walked in the public front door of any othergaffers pub for secrutity reasonsfor the fear of reprizals and attacks to our familys especialy if its a ticket holder they bear grudges if they cannot get to you they wil try for your family no matter how lng it takes
i also have volumes of old ledgers on certain pubs going back to the late 1800;s up until the 1900,s on old pubs thati have been involved with alot of pubs we are well known in the trade and the brewerys
but i keep a low profile if you get my meaning i still keep in touch with certain managers with in the brewery even today
best wishes astonian ;;;

Hello Astonian, did you know Noel Moffet, I think he started at The Cartland Arms in the late sixties, then he ran The Selly Park Tavern.

Hi margret
i most certainly remember noel from the cartlands and most certainly from the selly park tavern i have used the tavern for more years than i can remember i remember there was a couple of incidents up at the cartlands in the sixtys and noel moved to the selly;
i am trying to think where the gaffer from the selly went to for noellie
to take over at the tavern a freind of mine whom lived in selly park
whom was born in fact behind the pub in forth avenue helped nollie
out because he worked for the previos gaffer, pat my freind took on the fox hollis on fox holly rd acocks green, pat is still working
he has gonedown the posh part of london
best wishes astonian ;;

Please can someone help!!
I seem to remember a pub in the 60's and 70's in Wychall Lane on the right hand side just past Staplelodge Road junction.
It got burned down,I think, and I believe there's housing built on the land now.
Can someone refresh my memory as to the name of it,please.
Thanks.
It was called the Willows. My kids went to Wychall Farm School 70s

Hi margret
you beat me to it and lady linda,i remember it being
burnt down and i also remember a character came in one night when there was a darts match on and very quickley removed a guys sheep skin coat from the coat stand and scarpered with it
and the cheeky blighter came back next night to the wilowsand waljed around the pub trying to sell it for afew bob ,
but luckily for the owner and sadly for the theive the owner collard him and gave him a hiding of his life and he never came back
afew years ago inmy younger days when the willows was standing i ran the other pub up the other end of the estate [the kings head
it was a rough estate pub both was and i was sent there by the brewery to sort it out and clean the cliental up like i use to do with a couple of he other city pubs best wishes astonian ;;;
Hi there, I'm new to the forum, I joined because I have some links to the Willows pub and I was hoping you could help me if at all possible? I'm trying to trace someone who used to work there back in the late 60's? I believe John O'Reilly would've been landlord at the time

Last edited:
Hi there, I'm new to the forum, I joined because I have some links to the Willows pub and I was hoping you could help me if at all possible? I'm trying to trace someone who used to work there back in the late 60's? I believe John O'Reilly would've been landlord at the time
Sorry I only went in there once to watch a darts match. In the 70s

Back