• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

pub in Cuckoo Road Aston

kim64

proper brummie kid
hi its me again does anyone know the name of the pub on cuckoo rd according to 1901 census address listed 62,3,4. cuckcoo rd pub manager was elizabeth lloyd
many thanks kim

Can't be very helpful I'm afraid, Kim64, the property you were asking about was only as a beerhouse, not licensed to sell wines and spirits, and for some reason, the directories normally didn't mention the names of beerhouses. In later years some of them did, but your property continued to be listed as a beerhouse until 1963, (but numbered 57 in later years), but in 1972 it was taken over by a painting contractor. The Elizabeth Lloyd you mention was listed as a beer retailer in the 1900 directory.
Sorry, can't help you more.
Peter

Cuckoo Road Pub

hi its me again does anyone know the name of the pub on cuckoo rd according to 1901 census address listed 62,3,4. cuckcoo rd pub manager was elizabeth lloyd
many thanks kim

Hi, kim64. There was a pub on Cuckoo Road, just over the bridge called The Nechells Park Tavern (Nechells Park Tavern 208 Nechells Park Rd BirminghamB7 5SP Tel: 0121 328 3964) It was actually on Nechells Park Road, on the junction with Cuckoo Road. We used to cross 'Cuckoo Bridge' to get to it, so we always said it was on Cuckoo Road. On the corner of Cuckoo Road and Lichfield Road was a pub called The Reservoir (469, Lichfield Rd, Aston, Birmingham, West Midlands, B6 7SS Tel 0121 327 3336). I can't be sure these are the pubs you are referring to, nor give any historical information (apart from I frequented them in the 1970's) but I am sure they were there in 1901. I hope this helps.

I think, though cannot be certain that The Resevoir may have been only licensed to sell beer.

Last edited:
The Pub You Mentioned On Nechells Park Road
And Cuckoo Bridge , Namely The Nechells Park Tavern
Was Run By A Welsh Man For About 6 Months ,prior To
Being Sold Off To The Painting Contractors Company
In The Eighties ,and It Was Owned By The Guy Whom
Actualy Owns ,with Along Many More Pubs
At This Precise Moment Today In Acocks Green
The Westly Arms Pub, [hotel ]
Hughie The Welshman Came Down From The Valley Looking
For Work ,he Came To Me For A Job When I Was In The City Pub
He Latched On To The Guy At The Westfield ,
And Talked His Way Into The Job
Whom Then Gave Him The Job As Manager At The Tavern ,
Hughie Used To Do The After Hours Drinking Behind Closed Doors To Certain People And Scant Him,
Eventualy Hughie Run Off With The Taking Back To The Valleys
Hence Then The Owners Got Rid Of The Pub,
Incidently In The Cellar There Was A Wide Channel
And You Could Say It Was A Brook Running Through The Cellar
We Believe It Was Running Through From The Resser ,
And Possible Under Ground Up Towards Ansells And The Rat Pan The King Edward Towards The Aston Cross
When You Looked At It In The Cellar It Was Clearly
A Fast Flowing Brook So Times The Kegs Would Be Floating
On The Water It Was Well Below The Ground Level
Have A Nice Day Everyybody .
Best Wishes , Astonian ,;;;;;;

sorry to drag up a really old thread but my father owned this pub in the late 80's early 90's, if i remember correctly the previous owner went by the name of "bud" and was there from the mid 70's, the cellar was dry in 87 and only started to fill up around 89, we had seven trent out to test the water to see if there was a leak, there wasn't, the conclusion was that it was the water table rising since ansells left aston and HP sauce(who used the same well) were not using as much as production of some sauces had been moved elsewhere, we had a pipe coming out of the wall into a channel dug into the floor, as the water was spring water it was clear and very drinkable,the sump in the cellar failed one night and we had to get the fire brigade in to pump the cellar out, the last landlord was paddy wall(the walls were/are a very well know family in nechells) i think who had it untill around 95 when it closed finally,

Hello and welcome nechells park old boy. Please don't apologise for resurrecting an old thread we love it! Your recollections are what this forum is about and hopefully someone will add to your memories. Keep posting!

I remember walking past the Nechells Park over 20 years ago, when I heard someone shout High Rise. (My CB handle years ago) I looked up and leaning out of the window of the pub was my old CB mate Ray. ( Mutley) He was there as a caretaker manager. He showed me around the place but what really interested me most, was the cellar with a little stream running out of a hole in one wall and running through the cellar in a channel in the floor and flowing through a hole in the other wall as nechells park old boy discribed. I remember having a drink of that water, it was much better then any tap water.

[FONT=&quot]I concur with Wendy. Any scrap of information, however mundane it may appear to you; however insignificant it might seem now; however many times it may be reported elsewhere, these snippets and full-fledged articles of information keep the site going. They contribute to the sum of knowledge the site is committed to preserving. It may be the bit of information nobody cares about today, but some soul in the future is separately seeking. And who knows, even historians may begin to find our down to earth, matter of fact lives interesting! (No misunderstandings, please! Many of you have very interesting and dramatic tales to tell. I know- I’ve read many of them!)[/FONT]

hi nechells park old boy and welcome to the forum...if you go to the nechells thread there are some pics of this pub...

lyn

thanks all :), lyn i have looked at those posts that is where i "borrowed" my avatar from, years before my time that photo is, i drove past there the other day and it is being used as a learning centre, wonder what the cellar is like now?? have asked my mom if she has any photos from when we lived there she is gonna have a look, will post if there are any, will be later than most but will show what it was like not too long before it finaly closed.

thank nechells boy...any old photos would be great to see...ps i wonder if we could get a look down that cellar lol..

lyn

Came across this thread from Salford Bridge.

From at least 1851 until 1915 the pub in Cuckoo Road was the Cuckoo Tavern. Sometimes mentioned in Cuckoo Road and also at Cuckoo Bridge.

many thanks kim
The Cuckoo Tavern according to Kelly's Directory
Researching it at the moment.
Cheers
JP

Back