• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bird in Hand pub Norton street/Devonshire street, 1911

mapa61

Hi
I am looking for details regarding my great grandfather William Henry Brown, he managed that pub in 1911, according to the 1911 census,
Any one with further details or a odd pic, I would really appreciate it. Mark

hi mark as the title of your thread suggests i take it it was on the corner of devonshire and norton st?

lyn

William first appears at that address as landlord in the 1904 Kellys. It is a different landlord in the 1903 edition. He is still there in the 1915 edition, but has left by the 1921 edition. AS these dates are publication dates and therefore refer to year before, it can be said that William was landlord there from 1903 till at least 1914, but had gone by 1921. there are no surviving building around there, but possibly a member has a photo. Below is a map showing the position of the pub in red

map showing position of bird in hand pub.22 norton st.jpg

Thanks for the reply, I believe it was 23 Norton street and owned by the holt Brewery, He went to manage the Queen Adelaide inn, hospital street in 1915.

It is labelled 22 Norton st in the Kellys I looked at,. Double frontages (ie say 22-23) could be labelled as either or as both, but both Kellys and this c1950 map show that no 23 was on the opposite side of the junction
map c1950 showing 22 & 23 Norton St.jpg

I looked at the Birmingham rates list and it is addressed as 23 Norton street, but many thanks for looking

Interesting. I have not looked into this tavern. In Post #4 it is said to be a Holt pub but the photograph shows Atkinson's etched glass. Also it does not appear to be a corner pub [as indicated by Mike] with its central entrance. I cannot read the licensee plate but I would doubt if this is the Bird in Hand to which this thread refers?

Hi
I am looking for details regarding my great grandfather William Henry Brown, he managed that pub in 1911, according to the 1911 census,
Any one with further details or a odd pic, I would really appreciate it. Mark
He was my great grandfather too. His son Frederick was my Grandfather. Came here from a search for that pub.

The photo in post #7 has appeared on ebay. It says one licensee was a George Benyon but no date given of when. Viv.

Back