• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pte William Davis. Sth Staffs Regt.

barrie

master brummie
If possible I would like to know which action this young man (29) was killed in. His Regt Number was 10049, and he was in the 8th Bn S.Staffs.

He died on 1 Nov 1916 (it does not say he was killed on that date, it says he died on that date) I am wondering whether he was wounded in action, and then died of his wounds, or if he died of some illness.

He is buried in the Guards Cemetery at Lesboeufs in France. I have his Honour Certificate from the CWGC.

Thank you.

barrie

barrie,
10049 Pte William Davis was killed-in-action on 1/11/16. Husband of Nelly Elizabeth Davis of 1 House 36 Court, Brearley Street, Hockley.
I'll try to find out about the action in which he was killed and let you know.
Alan

Hi Alan.

Thats really what I want to know, as I said in my posting, on his certificate from the CWGC it doesn't say he was killed on that date (1/11/1916) it says he died on that date. I am really puzzled by this.

barrie

barrie,
he CWGC says died for every casualty, there is a CD that you can buy called "Soldiers Died in The Great War". This CD does not give addresses only that he came from B'Ham but it gives speciffically the cause of death, such as Killed in Action, Died of Wounds, Died ( this would be of illness), drowned etc. For William Davis it has got Killed-in-Action.
There is a Great War Forum with a lot of very knowledgeable people on it, you can ask on there and soeone might be able to tell you the action in which he lost his life.
Alan

barrie,
Further to my previous post I have now made an enquiry on the Great War forum as to where the 8th Btn S Staffs were on 1st Nov 1916.
I know that Pte Williams was one of only two men killed on that day, there were no men killed for 5 days previously and no men killed for 3 days after this date. This often means that they weren't in a big battle but were killed by sniper fire or from a shell landing. ( My own dad was hit by shrapnel from a shell and eventually lost his right leg due to these wounds, he was in the Somerset Light Infantry)
When/If I find out any more I will let you know.
Alan

Thank you very much for the information so far Alan, it is great to have information about him, he was my Gt Uncle, and out of all the men in the family who went off to the Great War, his was the only fatality. My Grandad, James Oldfield, was shell-shocked, but at least he came home alive.

barrie

Pictures of the Guards Cemetery, Lesboeufs, taken on 1 July 2006.

Regards The 1/8th South Staffs. On 1 Nov 1916, the battalion had moved up from Citadel Camp to the village of Montauban. By now this was well behind the front line. He was probably killed by shell-fire.

Regards

Terry

Thank you Terry, those photo's are great. The info on his unit is much appreciated.

barrie.

Terry you have done it again, brilliant photo's and info. I think you have made Barrie's Christmas!

Back