• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pte Martin Nolan Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Frantic it was a long time ago. A lot of people were treated as third world citezens in this country, and the powers in charge at that time could do almost any thing they wanted.ie send 3 million people to thier deaths. Working class young men with wifes and children at home came back {if they were lucky } to remain working class and then destained to become underclass while the people they sacreficed every thing for well thats another story.

Subject Close to my heart Robert, and I have seen and lived with the monuments in the churchyard to the Irish Potato famine in Nechells, I have found out that the Government are going to apologize for the past. But in my eyes you are not responsible for your fathers sins. I did not know what my grandfather did so why should I apologize ? You can learn from the past. but no way should you be held accountable for it. ............... They will be saying next we are sorry for not supporting Robin Hood. (I bet it would have changed things for the better if we did have)

Cromwell. my time is now, but i will never forget sacrefices that were made to enable me to have my time now. Generations before me paid the ultimate price. but a lot of people of my generation have paid in different ways, mass unemploment, homes reposesed,Cities dieing, drugs i could go on. but this generation would rather steal a poppy collecting tin than pay for one.

Yes Crommie.....Sir Robert Peel had more to remember him by than founding the Police Force.

Robert, I applaud yor sentiments for the gratitude you hold to those that have gone before and shaped 'Your time'. I wonder if future generations will feel as grateful to THIS generation for THEIR legacy.

what a interesting story about martin Nolan its unbelievable that a soldier could be put in an institution for swearing but like somebody else mentioned the gutter press have a lot to answer for. Those men were so brave Martins ancestors should be well proud of him no matter what he had said. Reading the story lets you sort of know what they went through and not much thanks for it afterwards very sad but good to know we had heroes from Birmingham even though they were let down by idiot officers who thought they were always right.

I HAVE JUST BEEN READING SOME OF THE THREADS  ABOUT BEING LOCKED AWAY FOR LIFE ,
I FOUND THEM VERY INTRESTING  ,
I ALSO TOOK NOTE WHAT ROBERT  WAS SAYING AND HE HAD A GOOD VALUED COMMENT .
THEY SAY HISTORY REPEATS IT SELF ,  -WELL I TRULY BELIEVE IT DOES ,
THE WORLD THE WAY ITS GOING , AND THIS COUNTRY , PEOPLE CAN NOT SEE WHERE WE ARE GOING ,
WORLD CLIMATEIZING , RACIAL INCITMENT TO EACH OTHER ABUSING EACH OTHER ,
PEOPLE  NOT SHOWING RESPECT TO EACH OTHER , I COULD GO ON ,
BUT WE CAN NOT STOP NOW ITS TO LATE ,
AND TALKING OF THE DAYS OF THE THIRD WORLD , PEOPLE CANNOT SEE WHATS GOING ON IN THIS COUNTRY
WE ARE SLOWLY BECOMING THE THIRD WORLD
AND THE BIG BROTHER MOMENT IS COMING HERE ,
WITH CAMERA,S EVERY WHERE  EVERY THINK WE DO IS PENAALIZED, AND CHARGED AGAIST US
NEXT WE WILL BE CHARGED FOR BREATHING
OTHER COUNTRIES ARE OR HAVE GOT RID OF THE COMMISON , THIS COUNTRY IS BECOMING COMIE ,
MY OLD MOTHER TOLD ME YEARS AGO THAT A COUSIN TOLD HER  THAT IN THE THIRTY,S
THIS COUNTRY WOULD BECOME COMIE ,
AND NOW MANY YEARS DOWN THE LINE ,WE ARE SLOWLY AND SURELY BECOMING THAT ,
WHEN THIS COUNTRY HAS NOTHINK , WHOM WILL HELP US ,
LOOK AT HOW MANY BIG BUSSINESS ARE GOING EAST ,  BECAUSE OF CHEAP LABOUR '
THE MONEY PEOPLE ARE DESERTING THIS COUNTRY

A tragic waste

How sad, what a tragic waste of life, but he must have had great stamina and thought of mind to last as long as he did.
No doubt he was not the only one.

Back