• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pryse the gunmakers

Martin29614

Continental Brit
The family of John Gwynne Pryse b1789 and his wife Sarah née Lawrence in 1792 of Aston were gunsmiths:
Charles 1814-1887 (senior partner of Pryse & Redman), Thomas 1822-1857, Lewis 1830-1867 and John 1828-1867 (who worked as a traveller for Pryse & Redman) . There were also four sisters: Mary 1816-?, Jane 1819-?, Sarah 1825-1829 and Ann 1837-1872
I am interested in Jane who married my great grandfather James Barber on 11.04.1850 at St Bartholomew's. She must have died before 1858 as my great grandfather remarried one Emma Jane Pryse, "daughter of Thomas Pryse gun maker" in 1859 in Cork Ireland. He was a widower, and she a minor (born in 1841 in Birmingham according to her death certificate and census data). I have found no birth data for Emma Jane.

Can anyone shead any light on the Pryse family. Incidently on the baptism register of St Philip's the surname was "Price".

I note the information you have is listed in a number of family trees on Ancestry, however I cannot find a birth registration or baptism for that name. There are two Emma Price births in 1841 one Birmingham the other Aston.

The only Thomas I could find in 1851 was Thomas Pryse 29, wife Sarah 26, Anne age 6 & Eliza 4 - Birmingham but no Emma. Abode - Turners Court, Bishop Ryder (Gun Stocker employ 5 Apprentices).

Clarkie

Yes, you're right. I've put what I could find on "Pryse Branch" in Ancestry.
In 1851 the rest of the Pryse family were living at 127 Bloomsbury Place Aston (incorrectly transcribed as "Pryser") except for Charles who was staying at the Angel Hotel Sheffield (transcribed as "Pryer"), but no Emma Jane in sight!
I must check the Emma Price's again. Thanks for the tip.
Martin
PS Emma Jane was my great grandmother!

Good luck with Emma Jane.
I note there is quite a bit on the name Pryse on the web & on this site.

Search the name and you might have a bit of a surprise.

Regards

Clarkie

Here is the inscription from the grave at Key Hill cemetery.

Pryse grave at Key Hill Cemetery section K grave number 321-322.

Sacred to the memory of John Gwynne Pryse who died October Ist 1865 in his 78th year. “the lord is my refuge.” Also John James the beloved son of John & Emma Pryse and grandson of the above who died November 1st 1865 in his 6th year.”suffer little children to come unto me.” John son of John Gwynne Pryse who fell by the hands of a cowardly assassin April 16th 1867? age?30? deeply and affectionately mourned by all who knew him. Lewis Pryse who died June 18 1867 aged 36. Also Ann wife of Joseph Hardy & youngest child of the above named John Gwynne Pryse who died July 6th 1872 in her 35th year. Also Charlie the eldest and dearly loved son of Charles & Emma Pryse who died July 12th 1873 aged 10 years and 6 months. “thy will be done.” Also Sarah relict of John Gwynne Pryse who died September 6th 1874 aged 83 years. A;so William Thomas second son of the above John & Emma Pryse who died January 12th 1818 aged 21 years. Also Sarah Ann wife of the above Lewis Pryse who departed this life May 9th ? 1886 aged 54? years.”rest not ?” (Footstone) In memory of Charles Pryse who passed away March 12 1887 aged 73 years. Also Charlie his son. Also of Emma Amelia his wife who passed away August 16th 1900. Notes:- In 1861 John Pryse 72 an office clerk, is living with his wife Sarah 69 and their daughter Ann at 121 Ashted Row, Aston. He had been born in Cardiganshire but his family were Brummies. Ann must have married John Hardy at a relatively old age (C61) The lower part of the headstone is covered by the footstone and is quite weathered.

According to a number of sources (such as SS 15 From the Gunroom.pdf) Pryse and Redman was dissolved in 1873 and the name reverted to Charles Pryse & Co. I am now confused as to which Charles Pryse took over the firm. It wasnt Charles H R Pryse who died age 10 or 11 (see Key Hill Cemetery engraving and other data). Charles Pryse Snr had a nephew, son of Thomas Pryse and Sarah Ward, born 1851, lived with grandmother 1871 census as parents died 1857 and 1860. Married Clara Wilson in 1881 and died 1884 age 33. His marriage certificate says he is a Office Clerk. NOT manager of Charles Pryse & Co. So who was? Attached is the photo of the wedding between Charles Pryse and Clara Wilson - Charles Pryse Snr, his uncle, can be seen standing next to him.

Attachments

• Wedding 1881 Charles Pryse and Clara Wilson small.jpg
    Wedding 1881 Charles Pryse and Clara Wilson small.jpg
    911.8 KB · Views: 17
Here is the inscription from the grave at Key Hill cemetery.

Pryse grave at Key Hill Cemetery section K grave number 321-322.
Sacred to the memory of John Gwynne Pryse who died October Ist 1865 in his 78th year. “the lord is my refuge.” Also John James the beloved son of John & Emma Pryse and grandson of the above who died November 1st 1865 in his 6th year.”suffer little children to come unto me.” John son of John Gwynne Pryse who fell by the hands of a cowardly assassin April 16th 1867? age?30? deeply and affectionately mourned by all who knew him. Lewis Pryse who died June 18 1867 aged 36. Also Ann wife of Joseph Hardy & youngest child of the above named John Gwynne Pryse who died July 6th 1872 in her 35th year. Also Charlie the eldest and dearly loved son of Charles & Emma Pryse who died July 12th 1873 aged 10 years and 6 months. “thy will be done.” Also Sarah relict of John Gwynne Pryse who died September 6th 1874 aged 83 years. A;so William Thomas second son of the above John & Emma Pryse who died January 12th 1818 aged 21 years. Also Sarah Ann wife of the above Lewis Pryse who departed this life May 9th ? 1886 aged 54? years.”rest not ?” (Footstone) In memory of Charles Pryse who passed away March 12 1887 aged 73 years. Also Charlie his son. Also of Emma Amelia his wife who passed away August 16th 1900. Notes:- In 1861 John Pryse 72 an office clerk, is living with his wife Sarah 69 and their daughter Ann at 121 Ashted Row, Aston. He had been born in Cardiganshire but his family were Brummies. Ann must have married John Hardy at a relatively old age (C61) The lower part of the headstone is covered by the footstone and is quite weathered.
Dear Wendy,
I am trying to find any article written about the Pryse & Redman business do you know of any?

David

Hi I have been researching the Cashmore gunmakers and in particular Paul Cashmore who it would appear had some connection with your Charles Pryse - they produced a revolver which was patented by one George Daw and is known as a Daw gun, even though he did not make it.

I have an article produced by college hill arsenal.com who state that following closure of business in 1883, it was reorganised in 1886 under Thomas & Lewis Pryse (his sons) .

I hope this helps

Back