• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

prottey

Re: Surname - prottey

There were some kids in my school with the surname Prottey, I went to Waverley School they would have been there late 70s to mid 80s, they would have lived around Hobmoor Rd, Monica Rd (Heybarnes Estate area)

I used to go to school with a carol prottey little green lane junior school she lived opposite the school she would be my age 65.
Keith

There were some kids in my school with the surname Prottey, I went to Waverley School they would have been there late 70s to mid 80s, they would have lived around Hobmoor Rd, Monica Rd (Heybarnes Estate area)

The family I was referring to I think is the family of the original poster GazzP67 because his sister Susan was in my class at school

hi ryann
keith replying not much to tell you only remember carol from
school 1955-1959 she probably then went to tilton rd girls school.
and that she lived right facing the school.
sorry didnt no mom dad or brother.
keith

Thanks for everyone who provided information reference my request, the spelling of the name prottey is missing an e (protty), would this be a common spelling error or has the Registrar's mispelt it?

If anyone has any information with the correct spelling of my surname it would be much appreciated - correct spelling is PROTTEY.

Regards

Gazza P

Hello Gazza i am a Prottey by birth if you would like to get in touch i have been tracing the Prottey family tree ,can i ask your area of interest Thank you Sandy:handshake:

Hi Sandy
Gazza is my son and i am Wal Prottey, i had a family tree made by Mick Prottey but it is lost i dont think we are related even though my father came from a family of 15 mostly lived in Yardley.
walt00

Hello Sandy, I would indeed be interested in what information you have, I'm sure you have seen my fathers post, however more than interested with your info.

Regards

Gazza P

Hello Dr Colin Prottey,

Would Gary Prottey be one of your relatives ?
He lived in a road off Garetts Green Lane , Yardley in the early 1970's.
He would now be in his early 50's and I understand is a Comedy Entertainer with the Mad Hatters. ( see Friends Reunited )

Bo
:excitement:Hi my brother is Gary Prottey who lived in Gleneagles Road off Garretts Green Lane. He is still with the Mad hatters and lives in Shipston on Stour.

Births Mar 1901 Protty Ellen Elsie Aston 6d258

Pretty sure that this was my Grandmother, and I believe that the surname is an anglicised version of the Italian surname Perrotti.

my name is susan prottey my father was walter henry prottey who sadly is no longer with us as he died in january of this year ..his mothers name was violet and his sisters were ivy and june who have also passed away ..i am one of 6 siblings i am the youngest..someone mentioned gaz prottey mad hatters who is a distant cousin of whom i am in touch with.

Hi Sandy
Gazza is my son and i am Wal Prottey, i had a family tree made by Mick Prottey but it is lost i dont think we are related even though my father came from a family of 15 mostly lived in Yardley.
walt00
this is my father who died in january of this year.

my name is susan prottey my father was walter henry prottey who sadly is no longer with us as he died in january of this year ..his mothers name was violet and his sisters were ivy and june who have also passed away ..i am one of 6 siblings i am the youngest..someone mentioned gaz prottey mad hatters who is a distant cousin of whom i am in touch with.
and the orginal poster of this thread is my brother to save any confusion

Hi all, years ago I did a lot of research into my family tree and have recently lost my gedcom file to my huge disappointment! However, I am descended from Prottey. Alice Prottey was the mother of my father Albert Mould. He was born in 1921. She married quite late my grandfather Alfred Selwyn Mould around 1919/20. Her father was Prottey and my dad told me he played a violin. Another step backwards to great grandfather and the name was Perotti. They all lived between Digbeth and Bordersley Green around the turn of the century. I believe they arrived in Brum around the 1860's.

hello again paul....sorry to hear about the lost family file most frustrating... :rolleyes: it sounds like you may have to start all over again..i have been researching my ancestry for over 10 years now its never ending but what i have done is to write down any census years of interest and print off things like marriage and baptism certs then keep them in box folders...i have nothing saved on the pc... i know this way may be a tad time consuming but at least i know i wont lose the info....

lyn

But you are so right Lyn! I entrusted everything to my PC and transferred saved files to each successive new laptop. But then 3 years ago my laptop suffered a catastrophic failure. I hadn't even saved to the cloud. I was so foolish! I do have a small file where I had printed some small detail but very little. Yes indeed, there is really no substitute for paper records and they're so much friendlier too. My discovery of this forum might be just the boost I need to get started again! Thank you for your kind thoughts and comment.

I am Colin Prottey, the son of William George Prottey and was raised at 65 Steyning Road, South Yardley. I am 67 years old, married with 2 children and 4 grandchildren. My father died in 1996 at the age of 84, and my mother (Annie Harriet Prottey) died in 2006, aged 92.
My father was one of, I think, 10 who survived into adult life. The siblings (in decending age order, as far as I can recall) were: Walter, Amy, William, Frank, Fred, Ernest, Violet, Ron, Leonard and Ivy (twins). Only Ivy is still alive. Most of them lived in the Yardley area.

They were a very colourful lot, none had more than basic education and I think all had either manual or 'blue collar' jobs. They were brought up under extreme hardship in the Small Heath area of Birmingham, and I recall my father telling me how poor they all were. I believe that more than one child died either shortly after birth, or when young, but I have no details. They were avid fans of dog- and horse racing, Ansell's Ale, allotment gardening and were very close to each other during their lives, dwespite contual bickering. There are now countless cousins most of whom had children and grandchildren. I am only in contact with a cousin Fred Prottey (son of Fred Prottey), though the granddaughetr of Walter did contact me via Friends Reunited some years ago. I would love to see any family history that has been compiled, as I cannot remember my father's father, but do remember Emily, his wife, my paternal grandmother. I think she died in the 1960's.

My father told me that the name Prottey (with the 'e') had derived from the Italian name 'Perotti'. He said that this originated with an Italian engineer that had come to Birmingham in the 19th century, which was booming due to the Industrial Revolution, but he sadly went bankrupt, so he changed his name - and the family were thereafter somewhat underpriviledged, and sadly seemed to have remained so. I don't know how reliable this information is.

I was always aware that there was also a number of 'Prottys' (no 'e') who were scattered around south Birmingam, but I never met any of them.

Should anyone have further information, I would love to hear of it. Equally, I am happy to try to dig deeper, should anyone feel the need. I am somewhat out of touch, as I left Birmingham when I was 25 and then lived and worked in many parts of the world until 2001.

Feb 17 2009, Cheltenham
My mom worked with someone named Ivy Prottey in the early 50's. My mom's name was Ivy Lowe and her twin was Joan, they lived in Fosbrook Rd then Churchill Road Bordesley Green.

Back