• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Proof on Marriage Certificate.

This is definitely a difficult one..Ive been searching for most of the day ( I love a challenge) but it has me stumped !! Thought I'd struck lucky with a John Guest b Birmingham 1855, in Rochdale with wife Sarah Ellen (was Duxbury) and son John, but they are to be found in the other census' after ...I havent come across John in 1891 on his own with son John yet though ?..I'll keep looking :)

Thanks Lindyloo, He's a pain, Skylark found one on his own in Muntz Street, but Ive tried to find son John without his father and nothing comes up for him either. I dont really know where else I can look for him. Any ideas will be most welcome. Thanks again.
Lynne

Just found John "GUST" in 1891, with son John. (possible enumerator error)
40 ct 11 Hospital Street.
John Gust, 33/5 ?, Lodger, Widower, Gun Maker, b. Birmingham
John Gust, 6, Lodger, b. Birmingham

This could be John junior in 1911...He is listed on fmp as John Francis GWERT, with wife Florence Elizabeth and son John Francis, but I checked marriages for Gwert and Gwent and none are showing..there is however a marriage between John Francis Guest and Florence Elizabeth Deer in the Dec quarter of 1908, Birmingham.
In the census, John is 26, a Gun Action Filer !! The family are boarding at the house of John Henry Ridley (?)..at 126 Bridge Street. :)

hi lindyloo..well done i couldnt find john sen with john junior on th 1891....like you i found them under the name of gwert on the 1911...never thought to look under gust lol....lynne will be pleased...

lyn

Thanks Lyn :) it took some doing.... but I wasn't going to bed till I'd found it :sleepy:
Presumably Lynne can now get John Francis' birth cert which should hopefully reveal his Mothers maiden name...
Lynne

hi lindy....yes with johns birth ref a copy of the cert should reveal his moms name.....i was up till 1 oclock last night still searching..:cry:

lyn.

Hi Lyn..thats great :) ..well worth the bleary eyes this morning !! Think it was about 2.15, when my head hit the pillow .. I am looking forward to seeing his Moms name if Lynne gets the cert !!
Lynne.

lindy we all want to know who john juniors mom was:D:D hopefully lynne will be on later to see these posts....

Hi all

I found this one yesterday on the IGI but I thought perhaps Lynne had got it?

Joannes Franciscus Guest born 22 Feb 1885 christened 22 Mar 1885 Bham
Father - Joannis Guest
Mother - Elizae Burns Guest

All in latin so perhaps a catholic christening/baptism?

Suzanne

Also the Florence Guest that was mentioned previously living with the Wheelwrights although the mother's surname doesn't quite fit it could be a transcription error.

Florentia Maria Guest Born 23 Jul 1881 christened 14 Aug 1881 Bham
Father - Joannis Guest
Mother - Elizabethae Bevins Guest

Suzanne

Re: Proof on Marriage Certificate.

Hi Suzanne, His name is John Guest b 1855. The ''first'' wifes name was
either Elizabeth or Eliza Burns, I think. They had a son in 1885, John Francis I
believe but I think there could have been a daughter as well in 1891 or 1892 but
that was the year he married my G grandmother.. This is all too complicated for
my brain.
Thanks
Lynne.

Florence could well be John's daughter as it looks as if Margaret Wheelwright was a Burns before marriage?
Marriages Sep 1876
John Wheelwright married Margaret BURNS Aston 6d 399

John Henry Ridley married John Francis's sister Florence
Marriages Mar 1901
Florence Mary GUEST Birmingham 6d 137
John Henry Ridley Birmingham 6d 137

At 85 Cornwall Road
1920 John Francis and Florence Elizabeth Guest
1922 John Francis and Florence Elizabeth Guest and Frederick Fraser
1925-1927 John Francis and Florence Elizabeth Guest,Frederick Fraser and Gertrude Fraser
1925-1927 John Francis and Florence Elizabeth Guest also listed at 10/11 St Mary's Row
1930 John Francis and Florence Elizabeth Guest,Harry Bruton and Mary Evelyn Bruton
1935 John Francis and Florence Elizabeth Guest,Baden Turvey,Florence Turvey and Dennis Lloyd
1939 John Francis and Florence Elizabeth Guest,and Florence Margaret Guest
1945 John E Guest,Iris M Guest and Florence M Elsmore (John C Elsmore on Services Register)
(Marriages Dec 1939
John C Elsmore married Florence M Guest Birmingham 6d 547)
(Marriages Jun 1939
John E Guest married Irene G B Scott Birmingham 6d 632)
1950 John F.Guest,Iris M.Guest,Frank A.Westwick,Irene G.Westwick,
1955 John F.Guest,Iris M.Guest,George Curry

At 126 Bridge Street West
1912-1922 Florence Mary Ridley and John Henry Ridley
1925-1927 Florence Mary Ridley and John Thomas Ridley
1930 Florence Mary Ridley,Florence Lucy Ridley and Frederick Long
1935 Florence Mary Ridley,Florence Lucy Hanson,Charles Henry Hanson and Frederick Henry Ridley
1939 Florence Mary Ridley,Florence Lucy Hanson,Charles Henry Hanson
hope this is some help?

Lynne

I know you found a death for an Elizabeth Guest in 1889 aged 27 but this may be nearer:

EliSabeth Guest aged 34 JFN Bham 1890 ref 6d 87

Suzanne

Lyn, Lindyloo, Suzanne and Lynne and not forgetting Maurice.

Oh Ladies and gent, this is brilliant, I knew you were good on here but this is amazing..Thank you all so so much. I cant believe going from next to nothing info to all this, I cant put into words how thrilled I am..I will get young Johns birth cert, I hope you can still collect them because I can't wait for the post..
Thanks again for all the trouble you have taken, you really are lovely, special people...Lynne xx

Hi Lynne

Well so glad that you are getting a little bit closer - now if only we could find THAT marriage:)

By the way, if you go to the Register office and want the certificate the same day, the cost is about £13!!!!

Suzanne

hi lynne...im also pleased that you are now getting somewhere...what a great bunch of people we have on the forum...ive had a headache for days over this one...:D

I'd heard that Suzanne, but I guess if you've gone all that way, a few quid is not really here or there! :)

If a marriage took place at all, then B'ham Register Office will have it, that would cut out the middle man of the GRO !

Just sidetracking for one second, does anyone know whether entries are made anywhere for the deaths of unknown persons? For instance, "Unknown man found drowned in canal" - there are quite a few of these in the 19th Century newspapers. There would almost certainly be an inquest, but what happens then - are these deaths filed for the public record and, if so, how and where?

Maurice :cool:

[QUOTE=sospiri;398049]I'd heard that Suzanne, but I guess if you've gone all that way, a few quid is not really here or there! :)

Hi Sospiri

Yes I agree it's worth paying the extra, I know I did, as I was that eager for a particular certificate:)

Just sidetracking for one second, does anyone know whether entries are made anywhere for the deaths of unknown persons? For instance, "Unknown man found drowned in canal" - there are quite a few of these in the 19th Century newspapers. There would almost certainly be an inquest, but what happens then - are these deaths filed for the public record and, if so, how and where?

Interesting question. Hope someone has the answer.

Suzanne

Back