• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember Cadbury's BAR SIX? I used to buy one every evening at the newsagents by the Bagot Arms (perhaps called Jones Newsagents) on Chester Road on my way home from school. That was in the 1960's. they had six pieces and cost 6d. Similar to a Kit Kat but better.

Growing up i never heard of it being called chesnut fencing it was working as a carpenter for the Housing Dept that i encounted it did all the gardens in Kingstanding for years i loved doing it there was a art to it like using straining wire to stentghen it all the stakes were hammered into the ground in all weathers a one man job as well at the end of a run you had to put a brace stake in at 45 degree angle against the last stake

i thought a paling was a vertical fence with pales and gaps. but I have heard your fence called a picket fence. Will ask my uncle he still makes fences. I see the laid hedge has made a return. had a go myself.

Definitely Chestnut Paling Fencing according to these folk. And as it is even on sale on eBay hardly a product that has faded away. Seems to be used a lot by sand dunes.

All the very old council houses here had them at the back and they had horizontal thick planks at the front as in Onslow and Daisy's house in Keeping up appearances I am told filmed here. Hyacinth and Richard's house was shot in Binley Woods. What's a picket fence then?

Sorry you have just answered my question Bernard, they had them for chickens I recall and old railway stations painted white. Do you think door knockers are a thing of the past? We found an old knocker on the garage door with a pixie on, under the creeper. It hid the door too. What really bugs me is a lot of new houes don't have house numbers on I have to rely on the dustbins with big number painted on them.
Another thing which is dwindling are the front gardens with a square of lawn with a square of earth in the middle. All paved over with cars on. We have the remains of a criss cross wire grill fence too with metal posts. I think washing line posts maybe a thing of the past too with four prong on the top and a wooden prop. And coal bunkers though I still see them used for other things.

Well many newer houses may not generally be fitted with Door Knockers but I see many new ones around (including on UPVC doors) this is what we inherited when we bought our house though I see it needs a polish.

Door Knocker Web Page.jpg

As for Washing lines and props - these are alive and well both our neighbours use them as we will once I get around to erecting the posts.

Bar Six was meant to be a competitor to Kit Kat, but Cadburys put it into their Food division, rather isolated from the mainstream chocolate sector. This division then was hived off as Premier Brands, to whom it was just another biscuit product, not as well known as other Cadbury Biscuits, and so it presumably just faded away with further takeovers and rationalisations

Last edited:
Bendy foam rubber toys were popular when my son was a baby. He had a "Rupert Bear" but it perished very quickly and bits came off exposing the wire! He had a stretchy toy of that man who turned green, (can't remember the name of the programme) it had strange liquid inside. I'm glad toys are safer now!
rosie.

It was called a "Stretch Monster",with the green goo inside that leaked eventually.They are worth quite a lot now in good condition.

Remember Marvel and Coffemate? The early Marvel (milk substitute) never really mixed that well in tea or coffee. Always seemed a bit floury. Coffemate was quite creamy tasting and I thought was great in coffee. Viv.

Remember Marvel and Coffemate? The early Marvel (milk substitute) never really mixed that well in tea or coffee. Always seemed a bit floury. Coffemate was quite creamy tasting and I thought was great in coffee. Viv.
"Nothing tastes nicer than Coffeemate, "as went the jingle. Remember Kay Skips shoes? And Tressy the doll. Gale's Honey? "Honey have some honey with me." We've just arrived from Cadbury Land, Monsters Laughs and Furry Friends. I can't remember what the product was for "Everyone's a fluffy one" Or Nice One Cyril. Blue Riband. Kraft Superfine makes the taste buds blossom, the special Kraft wat, can't remeber what that was for either. Toffetts mke a shilling go a looooong loooong way. Maybe we could play Guess the Product? or maybe not

I remember with pleasure the 'Stop me and buy one' ice cream man on his tricycle and he sold a kind of icy thing shaped like a modern toberlone long and triangular in different flavours, don't know what it was called but I loved it, Eric

As kids we would go to a loo in a petrol garage, there was a condom machine and somebody had scratched on it, Buy Me and stop one, and under the manafucatured to British standard mark was scratched ' and so was the Titanic. Thank you for reminding me of this it made me smile. I remember Mr Softy Ice Cream. Our local Ice Cream Man was Mr D Di Mascio as written on his vans but everyone knew him as Dee Die. With his bing bong tune. I om;y remember the rocket ice lollies. When I visited Dublin I had a cider bar ice lolly. My Dublin mate calls ice lollies ice pops.

Thanks Carolina. fancy Salmon Rushdie writing the words, I know Fay Weldon wrote the jingle for "go to work on an egg" suppose writing jingles was a nice little earner before they were famous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back