• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
The glass cobbles mentioned are still used: my church has some over a small chapel. With regard to dog licences, I am sure we staill have one or two somewhere but, I hasten to add, not with our marriage certificate. :friendly_wink:

Many years ago, in the less touristic part of Torquay, there was a model shop. His very long counter was supported by empty wooden lemonade crates. I never found out what happened to them; bonfire night perhaps. The new owner modernized the place.

The glass cobbles mentioned are still used: my church has some over a small chapel. With regard to dog licences, I am sure we staill have one or two somewhere but, I hasten to add, not with our marriage certificate. :friendly_wink:

Many years ago, in the less touristic part of Torquay, there was a model shop. His very long counter was supported by empty wooden lemonade crates. I never found out what happened to them; bonfire night perhaps. The new owner modernized the place.
On my grandparents wedding night they had to construct their bed, it comprised a frame, 2 legs, some bricks and a beercrate substituted for the missing legs, leather laths which they had to string across and a straw mattress, Nan said she was done in. Grandad was given an hour off to get married he couldn't go to his own wedding reception.

As a matter of interest when did they abolish dog licences? We still have them in Ireland, yet another way they rip us off.... I last had one 14 years ago even though I have had a dog all of that time, if the money went for animal welfare I would buy it but as it goes into government coffers I will not unless i'm forced to!!

Simon

As a matter of interest when did they abolish dog licences? We still have them in Ireland, yet another way they rip us off.... I last had one 14 years ago even though I have had a dog all of that time, if the money went for animal welfare I would buy it but as it goes into government coffers I will not unless i'm forced to!!

Simon
Haha!... It's to payback the billions borrowed from the UK for the bail-out and Enda Kelly's new suit. :crushed:

Anyway, the British Dog Licence was abolished in 1987.

There has been talk of bringing them back as a curb on dangerous dogs - but marriage licences do not seem to have helped with dangerous wives, so nothing further came of it

My mom used to do the washing in a galvanised tub with a gas ring underneath. In the winter, she used to put it in the back yard, with the gas pipe through the kitchen window. She didn't want the house steamed up, I suppose.

Another galvanised tub - the bosh I think my mom called it - was used with a dolly to work the washing. The dolly looked like a 3 legged stool, with a handle.

My Mum called the "dolly" a "posser" - I recently visited the Black Country Museum and the chap in the hardware shop told me that a "posser" (like an upturned colander on a stick - like Mum's) was for washing delicate items, whilst the dolly was for the heavyweight things.

On the subject of washing, can you still get "Tide" washing powder? In the 1950s, growing up in Brum, with a Brummy mother, but Welsh father, I was constantly tormented by my peers for calling my Welsh grandfather the same name as the washing powder -you see, in Welsh, "Grandfather" is "Taid" (pronounced "Tide")!!

And on the subject of Welsh grand-parents, my "Nain" (pronounced "nine", and Welsh for "Grandma" - more ribbing from my peers!) was strictly teetotal (great Chapel goer, taken the pledge, etc.) was prescribed "Sanatogen" by her doctor, as a tonic, and drank bottles of the stuff!! It is still available, or was, a couple of years ago, in the little Spar shop in Dolwyddelan (Conwy Valley, North Wales).

Bendy foam rubber toys were popular when my son was a baby. He had a "Rupert Bear" but it perished very quickly and bits came off exposing the wire! He had a stretchy toy of that man who turned green, (can't remember the name of the programme) it had strange liquid inside. I'm glad toys are safer now!
rosie.

Rosie, I also remember these toys. My daughter had Pluto and Disney Dog, and she loved it, always putting it into the bath with her. Like your Rupert Bear though, he did perish leaving the wire exposed.

There was a Topo Gigio bendy toy too. The foam/rubber had a lovely sweet smell to it. (There's another name lost in the past; Topo Gigio). He had a really cute voice and was on a programme but can't remember the name of it. Think he was very shy too. Viv.

Bendy foam rubber toys were popular when my son was a baby. He had a "Rupert Bear" but it perished very quickly and bits came off exposing the wire! He had a stretchy toy of that man who turned green, (can't remember the name of the programme) it had strange liquid inside. I'm glad toys are safer now!
rosie.

The Incredible Hulk.

Back on the subject of P thfa does anyone remember Brawn and Chicklins? Some sort of cooked meat/offal I think

I remember brawn and chickelins but not together. Chckelins or chitterlings are pigs intestines. Nan ate them with vinegar and pepper. I have had pig's snout in France, very nice it is. Nan used to eat chawl which she said was pig's cheek. Didn't like hazlet and I don't know what it is made of.

I used to also like Theodore the rabbit, a white glove puppet rabbit with dark ears I think he was with Rolf Harris but I can't remember the show. There was also a little man done with trick photography, I thought he was real and my mum kept up the magic. Séamùs O'Sean the leprechaum. He sang what a loveable lad I am I am. There was anotheer shop like an American Crackerjack wuth a Rod McLEnnan which Nan said was daft. She also daid Playschool was full of damn silly fools but I liked it. I liked the arched window. And the original clock.

Whats happened to Palings? You never hear that word now in relation to fencing etc.
Reminds me of when I was little, sitting in front of some palings with my sister feeding dad's pigeons. Many years later the houses were sold to the sitting tenants and we forgot about palings as they were replaced by brick walls and fences.

Last edited by a moderator:
We still have palings. They are a bit skewif (as Nan would have said) so we patch them up with branches. There is also a road here call The Park Paling. As far as I know they don't make toy farm animals, realistic ones like I used to have I think the brand was Britains. When a horse costs five pounds and is 5 times the size. They used to use them of cake decorations I started my farm with a collie and 2 sheep from my birthday cake. I wish I had kept them and the zoo animals. Someone gave me a little metal dog once and I can't find him either or the 3 glass pigs my great grandad made. All on the same scale.

I think palings are a more substantial fence . I recall them as about 5 - 6ft high lengths of wood about 3in wide and with a gap between each one. Pype Hayes Park used to be surrounded by them (in the days of Park Keepers and locking the gates at sunset).
Incidentally the term "Beyond the Pale" comes from when the English invaded Ireland. The English placed a paling fence around their head quarters. Anything outside the fence was Beyond the Pale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back