• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maria the bun looked like a doughnut which you put on top of your head and pulled your hair through the middle and pinned it around and underneath with hairgrips . It could be pulled so tight it was probably a fore-runner for a face lift!

I remember those "doughnuts" we used to put our hair through and then pin them up for a chignon. Thought we were so sophisticated.

Saw a mention about baskets earlier. I don't think we see many Bread baskets around these days, and 'breadmen' have probably faded away.
Bread_Basket_1950.jpg

Happy_Breadman_1950.jpg

The only trouble with the baker delivering, he would bring your loaf of bread as ordered, but you just knew he had trays full of cakes, pasties pies, my mom had to let him go in the finish, the bill was getting out of control.

haha bolster pillows, that brings back memories! You can still find them fairly easily mind, they just don't seem to be "en vogue" so much these days.

Wierldy though, they appear to still be quite popular over on the continent. Have had the good fortune to
visit France and Italy a few times in the last 5 years and they seem to be almost everpresent!

I'm quite partial to a good bolster!

bolster_pillow_covers.jpg

Here in the Texas they have what they call body pillows, when l first set eyes on them a few years ago l mentioned to my children thats no more a body pillow its a bolster pillow, then of course l had to explain ..my children and g/children must get awfully confussed as l'm always correcting them ....Brenda

Did anyone ever have an autograph book when leaving shcool, so all your friends and teachers could sign the book. My dad signed the back cover ' By nook or by crook I'll be the last in this book' and my mom signed 'A many silent tear is caused by this' and she turned the corner of the page over and underneath she had drawn an onion.

I had an autograph book when leaving school. When I brought the book home on the last day my mother looked through it and when she saw all the 'rude' verses she confiscated it. The so-called rude verses would not warrent a second glance these days.

Shirley

I remember Delrosa, I thought it tasted lovely.

One thing I am regretting the passing of, although it's not long ago, and that's the terry towelling dressing gowns. The new 'softer' fluffy ones make me very uncomfortable. I presume these, like fleeces, are made from recycled plastic bottles, so that is good in itself, but I still want a new dressing gown that is cotton terry. I have an old one, in very good condition for its age, with no snags, but I really could do with a newer one.

What about Happy Families Playing Cards - what a great coup when you could swap a card that you really wanted.

Dont forget the Davenport Man and the secure homes man who use to ring the door bell early on a Saturday Morning and most all my favourite the RAG AND BONE MAN any any any old iron

Remember Dynamo lights on pushbikes. The one type looked like a little metal bottle and was held against a tyre by a spring, the other was built into one of the hubs. I think there was even one with a battery so that your lights stayed on when you were not moving.

Made it bit harder to pedal though.

do you remeber the wooden boxes the davenport would come in 6 in a box and you use to put the bottles back in the box for the man to take the following week, not forgetting the unigate milk trucks, and the parafin man all coming in Saturday Morning and collected the money at the door

do you remember how long the Tv use to take to come on and go off and the little girl with the dog

does anyone remember the small bottles of school milk on a hot day disgusting i have never drank milk in 30 years since

does anyone remember tree top orange squash in a narrow neck bottle and white lid do they still sell farleys rusk in the single packs and double packs

Tree top squash and proper Jubblies!! Also those sachets of red or green stuff in the freezer (Ice pops?)
Farley's have less sugar.
My son had Bickiepegs to help teething, and gripe water or Delrosa in a dinkyfeeder, I think they banned dinkyfeeders because they cause tooth decay. (He's 39 and has all his own teeth still !!)
rosie.

Farleys rusks are about half the size and even the "original" ones are not the same, they don't melt in your mouth lol! And even the gripe water has had to go alcohol free so the babies don't get alcohol dependant!!!
Sue

Not exactly a product you could buy but i recall my mom putting a poker in the fire and using it to curl her hair.... Also putting butter (marge in our case) on our patent shoes to stop them cracking

Does anyone remember Indian Brandy? Does it still exist? I was given a teaspoonful of this mixture when I had stomach ache as a child. I loved the taste of it and sometimes said I had a stomach ache just to get a spoonful.

Does anyone remember Indian Brandy? Does it still exist? I was given a teaspoonful of this mixture when I had stomach ache as a child. I loved the taste of it and sometimes said I had a stomach ache just to get a spoonful.

Saw it recently in Bracknell! I think it contains various herbs.

Any one remember chillblain tablets sold by Boots, containing nicotinic acid? You can't get them now; were they dangerous?

Yes Maria, I do remember Indian brandy. We were all young girls learning our trade in office work, and the older lady in the office (all of 23, but seemed ancient to us) always kept a bottle of this in her desk, so if any of us complained of stomach pains, out came the Indian brandy, and it worked too.

My Mom also gave us some indian brandy in a drop of warm water for stomach pain and also used to heat some salt up in a saucepan and put it in a sock to lay across your stomach. I am not sure now but i think we also had EP tablets.

If you had a cold it was always a beechams powder followed by a cup of hot fresh lemon that had been boiled and put in the basin , sometimes it may have been hot lemonade.

Can you still get YoYo's ?

Not the ones with string, the chocolate biscuits a bit like round Penguins - No not the black and white birds, the chocolate biscuits a bit like rectangular YoYo's. If you get my drift. :loyal:

Not very old, but do you remember dancing to 'Stars on 45' record. It had all different tunes in it and it did go on for quite some time.

I remember we used to have "Gee's Linctus" for coughs and also if we had no cough mixture, my Dad used to slice a couple of onions and cover them in sugar. This brought the natural juice of the onion out and we used to use that as a cough medicine (It wasn't as bad as it sounds, it was very sweet really).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back