• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Vivienne, I do remember risking it for a Swisskit. They were just a snack thing as far as I can remember, it would have been about 1971 time they were around.

I remember those chewing gum machines Paul. There was one outside our local sweet shop for years. I remember the chewing gum as Beechnut.

Hi all
in the 40s-50s you got a free one if you were the 4th person to use the machine.who says b.o.g.o.fs are a new thing

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but who remembers traditional animal glue, the stuff that came in thick sheets that had to be melted over a gas-ring? My dad was trained as a cabinet-maker, and as late as the 1980's he could still get this glue, the only one he'd ever use. I think he got it from H Corbett Ltd in Newtown. It stank to high heaven, but it was good stuff!

Big Gee

I found something I cant remember seeing before in a first aid box that was my dad's, Tiger Balm in an hexagonal jar about an inch high, no directions on the jar but it looks like blackjack, anyone have any ideas?

Sorry Mike I missed the "any ideas" part of your post...on my jar it says "For the symptomatic relief of muscular aches and pains, sprains, insect bites, itch and lumbago...rub gently on the affected areas"
It comes in two versions, White, which is scented with mint oil (a bit like Vick) and Red, scented with cinnamon oil..if yours looks like blackjack, then maybe its the latter..:)

On an office theme, can you still get carbon paper and blotting paper? Not seen those in a long time. I know you can still get Tippex (correcting fluid) but I think Snopake is no longer available. Funny how a brand name sticks, as I still call Tippex 'Snopake' Viv

Viv do you remember the old gestetner machines where if you made a typing error you blocked out with a pink substance. You put the typed version onto the machine and turned the handle for the copies to come off. Oh how we have progressed.

We certainly have progressed Carolina! I also remember adding machines with little paper rolls that printed out all your calculations. It was always easy to find any errors. And PO franking machines which you used to have to take to the PO. Think that was to put more credit into them. Oh those were the days .........:grin2: Viv.

Viv I remember the adding machines as well, plus the comp' machines. My first job as an office junior, we had a machine that folder the statements ready to go in the envelopes.

Carolina I used to work for Sumlock Comptometer in a small office surrounded by loads of men in the service dept. I was the only female there. What an awful job eh?!!!!!!!!. I never learned to use a comp though. Jean.

Big Gee my uncle was a cabinet maker and he used some awful glue. I remember on glue being called Cow Gum and I think they stuck the old fashioned book covers on with it. My old dog many years ago used to salivate when she smelled the books and I still have one she chewed to get at the gum. Jean.

Jean
your dog probably thought it was a funny shaped bone. the old glues were made by boiling up old hides , and sometimes bones, to get the collagen out and hydrolyse it . I don't expect they were too bothered about any traces of meat left on them, so really what you have is exactly what pet shops sell dried as for treats for dogs

Do you remember those plastic rain hoods, we used to sell them in the hairdressers, they had a peak at the front, or there was a cheaper one that was a thinner plastic and was all folded in pleats with ribbon on each end. They ruined all my hard work doing their hair when they put those darn things on.

Do you remember those plastic rain hoods, we used to sell them in the hairdressers, they had a peak at the front, or there was a cheaper one that was a thinner plastic and was all folded in pleats with ribbon on each end. They ruined all my hard work doing their hair when they put those darn things on.

hi patty i remember our mom buying those...is my mind playing tricks but could you also get them with little patterns on them as well...

lyn

Yes Lyn I'm sure you could, if they didn't pull the back part out side of their collar they were in for a shock all the rain used to run off the hat down their necks

Remember Lepages Gum ? and brown paper parcel tape that you had to lick ? tasted like you had licked about a hundred stamps afterwards.

As for Lewis' Zoo, Before my time, but I believe it closed because one of the managers was badly bitten.

It was awful stuff Jean, both Ajax and Vim, as you say it left a film on the bath however much rinsing you did. It also played havoc with skin, my hand's were always dry and sore after using it.

In the days when there was a soap powder named "Omo" there was an urban myth in the army, that the wives in the married quarters, who were "playing away" would put the soap powder in the kitchen window to alert their lover.

It was supposed to mean "Old Man Out"

Naughty or what.

Barrie

Does anyone recall a tube of ointment specifically for burns - It was called "Burnol" It was a bright yellow tube with blue writing and bright yellow ointment inside. It was always in our house in the 50's & 60's

Nan bought me a Rosebud doll which was dressed a bride, I have collected a few since, but not like that special one!

Do you remember the Ewbank Floor sweeper. Two roller brushes rotated by the centre wheels. It picked up dirt & dust in both directions. I went to a Jumble Sale at Bartley Green Scout Hut in the 60's and bought one for a 1d. (One old penny). It was a very old one then as it was made of Wood. The modern ones of the time were made of pressed metal and painted My mom used it for over twenty years. We always called it "The Penny sweeper"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back