• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Problem

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks dont know how this is happening..never seen this before but i am trying to copy and paste some text onto a thread but its copying my private messages instead of the text .how can this be ??..i have made several attempts and had to delete the post each time...some advise needed from warren please...

just found another problem..i cant save images off the forum:rolleyes:

would be useful to know if any other members are having either of these problems

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn
Have just saved (at random) a photo from the Blakeley hall thread , and it worked OK. Where were you copying the text from?

copy and pasting part of an email mike....still cant save any images...this is using my desk top so i will try again using my lappy to see what happens as it could be a problem with desk top..

lyn

looks to me as though i have a gremlin on desk top as everything is working fine on the lappy....will reboot desk top in the morning and see if that does any good..

Last edited:
all ok with desk top now mike..i gave it a good kicking...:)

Last edited:
I got physical with my new (just out of guarantee) slimline desktop computer last week. It had been randomly stopping and re-booting making it useless for internet banking etc. Windows log reported a hardware problem. Using 'Speccy' I saw that the cpu temperature was 20 degrees higher than normal. I opened the case and looked at the fan sitting on the cpu, had a poke at the blades, they were free. I then pulled the fan cable plug off the motherboard, plugged it back, waggled it a bit and put the case back on. Since then the cpu temp is now normal and the computer has run with no problems.

This modern stuff does play up a bit, just to keep us on our toes.
One little tip given to me a few years ago is in respect of "Smart phones". If switching it off and on again don't fix a problem take the sim card out and rub it over with a soft pencil eraser. It's worked a couple of times for us and it may even work for the not often used digital camera. Iv'e found it to work just taking the battery out of the phone and putting back in, worth a try as it's simple to do and may be a cheap fix.
Cheers Tim

Phil,

Re: your post #10, I get that problem on my Win7 desktop, but only if I leave it doing nothing for half an hour or so. It re-boots and then displays a message "Windows unexpectedly shut down, do you want to look for a solution to this problem?". Of course, in true Microsoft fashion, it never finds a solution. Temperature seem normal and the CPU would be doing next to nothing when the machine is idle. It's not a major problem because nothing is running at the time other than the usual Windows processes and anti-virus. Shutdown & hibernate, etc., are all set to never. Odd.

Maurice

Hi Maurice, with my desktop problem the 'Event Log' was reporting a 6008 id which is an hardware error and hopefully it was the fan either not running at full speed or intermittently stopping. If it happens again I shall try Lyn's method of giving the case a kick.
Phil

I still get occasional random restarts so the problem of 'is it my computer hardware' or 'is it Windows'? remains. The computer is out of guarantee but health checks say everything is ok and I'm certain it is not cpu temperature.
I don't want a new computer and did not feel like kicking it so used the Windows 10 'dual boot' facility to install Linux Mint alongside Windows. I can now boot either Win 10 or Linux Mint and if Mint has no random restarts when running then it has to be a Windows problem, probably drivers.
The Mint Desktop
mint1.jpg
The BHF on Mint using Chrome which synced the view and bookmarks.
Mint BHF.jpg
BBC iPlayer works
screenshotiplayer.jpg
The only things I cannot run are IE and Edge but don't need AV.

Phil,

I haven't tried Mint, but I guess that most of the Linux versions are similar. If I do get around to changing the motherboard, I will add to the 1Tb main drive another 2TB (at least - 4Tb is only another £20 extra) and shove all bar C: drive onto the new drive. Like most jobs these days, it's a case of kicking myself hard enough to actually do it. :)

I can't see as I have a real need for an SSD at this stage.

Maurice

Hi Maurice,
I must admit the Windows random restarts are a problem, the computer can run for a week without a restart then suddenly I get one. I have Windows 10 in another computer running with no problems. I downloaded Mint on a 8Gb USB stick and initially ran it from there to test it but now have it on the hard drive. Not having used Linux for some time I had to go careful. I did not change the BIOS, I just held the shift key down on a Windows restart and it booted from the stick from which I installed Linux
Temperature outside here is presently 30 degrees.
Phil

Last edited:
Phil,

You're warmer than Crete! Here in Limnes (about 800ft a.s.l. and three or four miles inland) it's 26C and sunny with some cloud. I don't like sandy beaches anyway, let alone lying out there and baking in it! :)

I've been out of the Unix environment since 2001, and from running Suse & Ubuntu versions of Linux for a few weeks at a time, I haven't seen much difference in them. Some of the earlier versions like Fedora and Red Hat seem to have gone out of the limelight lately, and I guess what we're really looking for is stability and ability to run our usual programs. I'll certainly download Mint onto a stick and see how it performs. Thanks - have an ice cool beer and stay cool!

Maurice

Maurice,
Had a random restart with Linux on Tuesday which indicated it was the computer hardware/firmware. Drastic action needed, so on Tuesday I flashed an update into the BIOS/UEFI hoping no power cuts happened during the 3 minute process. The update went well and no random restarts since Tuesday in both Linux and Windows 10 ...:)
Phil

Phil,

Now that might be a solution. I had random restarts both yesterday and this morning. One problem is that Intel have stopped making motherboards and also updating drivers, etc., as well, but I will see what is available. Thanks for the tip.

Maurice

Back