• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Problem with Amazon

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
If anyone is considering purchasing computers or printing equipment through the amazon website, they should be careful to ensure that the details on the site are correct and not a lie. Before I would always want to see a product such as this, but at present that is not possible. My printer/scanner has been giving problems. Despite much tinkering it cannot print colour and B&W does not give a perfect product, though scanning is fine . The websites I might visit are either out of stock (John Lewis) or not delivering that product in my area (Currys and Argos- why the hell not). Amazon showed that it had 3x Canon Pixma G2501 in stock, plus others from their "associates".
Reasonable price, ink comes in big bottles , so a lot cheaper to use, WiFi connection . Try to order Amazon one and but nothing happens. Contact them through their "Chat"(!), and get told to try again. Order goes through to an "Associate". Delivers 2 days later (very good though lucky I was in as they told me it would be 4 days). However when I set it up there seems no way to get internet connection. Search online manual and no mention of that sort of connection. Contact associate and they were very helpful. Came back to me and told me Amazon had made an incorrect statement on the website (the page was put up by Amazon .not them). Suggested I contacted Canon to make sure there was nothing I could do, but immediately sent me a return label if I wanted to return product . Canon confirmed that it could not be connected by WiFi.
Decided in the end to keep it , as it is very economical on ink and cheaper than any other that had that facility, and seems to give a very good printed page. just need a rather longer lead for it to be convenient.
BUT. Buyer beware is definitely something that should apply to Amazon. YES - they will accept returns unconditionally, but that is not the point .

ScreenHunter 2274.jpg

If anyone is considering purchasing computers or printing equipment through the amazon website, they should be careful to ensure that the details on the site are correct and not a lie. Before I would always want to see a product such as this, but at present that is not possible. My printer/scanner has been giving problems. Despite much tinkering it cannot print colour and B&W does not give a perfect product, though scanning is fine . The websites I might visit are either out of stock (John Lewis) or not delivering that product in my area (Currys and Argos- why the hell not). Amazon showed that it had 3x Canon Pixma G2501 in stock, plus others from their "associates".
Reasonable price, ink comes in big bottles , so a lot cheaper to use, WiFi connection . Try to order Amazon one and but nothing happens. Contact them through their "Chat"(!), and get told to try again. Order goes through to an "Associate". Delivers 2 days later (very good though lucky I was in as they told me it would be 4 days). However when I set it up there seems no way to get internet connection. Search online manual and no mention of that sort of connection. Contact associate and they were very helpful. Came back to me and told me Amazon had made an incorrect statement on the website (the page was put up by Amazon .not them). Suggested I contacted Canon to make sure there was nothing I could do, but immediately sent me a return label if I wanted to return product . Canon confirmed that it could not be connected by WiFi.
Decided in the end to keep it , as it is very economical on ink and cheaper than any other that had that facility, and seems to give a very good printed page. just need a rather longer lead for it to be convenient.
BUT. Buyer beware is definitely something that should apply to Amazon. YES - they will accept returns unconditionally, but that is not the point .

View attachment 151723
i bought a cannon printer, off the jokers, payed p/p as well.i waited for it to arrive, it never come,so i got on to them,they said it was sold to me by a third person,i got in touch with this seller. and said were is my printer, his reply the del van could not find my house so it went back to the warehouse, you will have to give use better locations and pay p/p again.i said no stick it up your six. i will go to ebay you are a conman

Mike/Pete,
We tried to replace our Canon A3 Printer a few weeks ago and couldn't. The dealer even rang Canon Europe and they said they had no stock and no one could give them any idea when it would be available again. We had to buy the more expensise Epson and quite honestly it it tatty rubbish in comparison. No one has stocks of anything decent anywhere. We needed an A3 because we print posters for the local Foreign Residents Association.

Maurice :cool:

Mike/Pete,
We tried to replace our Canon A3 Printer a few weeks ago and couldn't. The dealer even rang Canon Europe and they said they had no stock and no one could give them any idea when it would be available again. We had to buy the more expensise Epson and quite honestly it it tatty rubbish in comparison. No one has stocks of anything decent anywhere. We needed an A3 because we print posters for the local Foreign Residents Association.

our Maurice
i have now gone back to a hp make... my self i think they are more robust, the ink is more dosh to buy, but less probs.:(
i did buy a epson what a load of pants. there were more flashing lights on it than a Police car.:grinning:

Mike/Pete,

Maurice, we just replaced a 6 year old Edson, wanted another in part because we had over $125.00 of ink (I use for presentations for my consultancy) The new ones are tatty/junk, and by the way don’t use the same ink cartridges any more! We looked at Canon, the same. Spent more money on an HP. HP is like dealing with big brother. When I set it up for WiFi I put my address in and the printer told me not to bother with password because they had it, REALLY! They can also tell me by color how much ink I have. It would be really nice if they could just leave you alone.

Maurice, we just replaced a 6 year old Edson, wanted another in part because we had over $125.00 of ink (I use for presentations for my consultancy) The new ones are tatty/junk, and by the way don’t use the same ink cartridges any more! We looked at Canon, the same. Spent more money on an HP. HP is like dealing with big brother. When I set it up for WiFi I put my address in and the printer told me not to bother with password because they had it, REALLY! They can also tell me by color how much ink I have. It would be really nice if they could just leave you alone.
i have del that bumf on my hardrive. so when the ink runs out i go on fleebay.and buy some more cheaper

Richard.
I had an HP. They seemed to change the cartridge every time I had a new machine. That was why I liked the idea of tanks you filled up on the Canon. Definitely don't like the idea on all their cheaper machines now of them sending you (nd charging you) automatically. Its the same with microsoft.- you paying so much per month to use the newer Office programs. I still use Office 2004 for that reason

Richard.
I had an HP. They seemed to change the cartridge every time I had a new machine. That was why I liked the idea of tanks you filled up on the Canon. Definitely don't like the idea on all their cheaper machines now of them sending you (nd charging you) automatically. Its the same with microsoft.- you paying so much per month to use the newer Office programs. I still use Office 2004 for that reason
Mike, I think you are very right unfortunately. I'm concerned about HP but also about Microsoft , I have Office 2013 that I purchased though my employer at the time for a very good price. I really dislike being charged to rent their software, I too will not upgrade for the same reason!

The biggest problem in Colorado USA with AMAZON that we have had, is the constant fake emails we get, about some order we did not do, or the payment method we gave is no good, so we just spam them and delete, Most of the things we do buy are OK and we have had no real problems with. We did get an HP printer with no problems in fact pretty cheap also.

I've had good results from both HP and Epson printers so disagree a bit about the quality, as I've said in a previous post I currently have an HP Envy printer scanner copier and their instant ink contract.

https://instantink.hpconnected.com/uk/en/l/
To be clear, the Epson that I had was very good, the new ones seem to very very flimsy and the changed the cartridges. The HP does a good job and I have the instant ink program but I ran out of ink and had to go to a third party to get the file printed. I went to Amazon and purchased ink to make sure it does not happen again! My HP is an Office Pro printer scanner copier, but when you run out on a Saturday morning, you have a noon meeting AND HPs hours are Monday to Friday, it’s problematic! And yes they have been charging me each month.

The biggest problem in Colorado USA with AMAZON that we have had, is the constant fake emails we get, about some order we did not do, or the payment method we gave is no good, so we just spam them and delete, Most of the things we do buy are OK and we have had no real problems with. We did get an HP printer with no problems in fact pretty cheap also.
John, in TN we are getting calls to that effect, constantly.

Going back to the title of this thread, I do have a problem with Amazon but not the quality of anything I have bought via them in the past. The problem I have is that they seem to be taking over in a big and I don't like that. Each time I try to buy something on the internet it seems to be through Amazon even though it's not apparent at first. I also have reason to think that they screw some of their suppliers down quite tightly too. Personally, I'm trying to avoid this company.

We buy a LOT from Amazon and I mean a lot. We have Prime membership which is very useful but most things are more expensive which I expect covers the postage. What does annoy me is the battle you have when receiving faulty or incorrect goods and they need returning, unfortunately I am unable to get out of the house and my Wife won’t risk exposure to Covid as I am classified extremely vulnerable thanks to the big C.

For example last week I ordered a Bolster from a market place seller and they sent me two pink cushion covers with pom poms on, not quite what I expected. Long story short, every time I contacted the seller they insisted I take the incorrect items to the Post office and they would issue a refund upon receipt, I pointed out giving the reasons above that if they wanted their incorrect goods then they would need to collect them from my home. Eventually Amazon stepped in and issued the refund telling me to keep the pink pom pom cushion covers.

I've finally binned my inkjet printer, because we don't use it regularly the print head dries up, my wife uses it mostly for her WI meetings agenda etc but with Covid the meetings have been via zoom so no printing required. I know you get told to fire up the printer and print a test page every week to avoid it drying up but it gets forgotten.

Epsom were by far the worst for this so we got a HP inkjet as they have the print head actually on the ink cartridge. So in theory a new cartridge should fix a dried up print head and it worked the first time but once again it had failed.
So via Amazon we bought a Xerox B215 multi function mono laser and as the 'ink' is actually powder it cannot dry up from lack of use. Really pleased with it so far, it's really fast, can print both side of the paper and the included toner is enough for 1500 pages

Last edited:
To be clear, the Epson that I had was very good, the new ones seem to very very flimsy and the changed the cartridges. The HP does a good job and I have the instant ink program but I ran out of ink and had to go to a third party to get the file printed. I went to Amazon and purchased ink to make sure it does not happen again! My HP is an Office Pro printer scanner copier, but when you run out on a Saturday morning, you have a noon meeting AND HPs hours are Monday to Friday, it’s problematic! And yes they have been charging me each month.

You seem to have been unlucky with that Richard my replacement cartridges arrive well in advance of me running out and there's always one sitting in the drawer ready when I do.

A couple of years ago, when visiting the local Cartridge World, I asked about the most economical brand of printer and was told Brother (and another which I can't recall) and that they can supply printers.

I know it is now lockdown but, there is invariably a note on the door with a mobile phone number.

I certainly wouldn't go to a major outlet for any future printer.

You seem to have been unlucky with that Richard my replacement cartridges arrive well in advance of me running out and there's always one sitting in the drawer ready when I do.
Eric, I had a long conversation with HP on Tuesday, hopefully it’s just a start up thing! We like the printer/scanner/copier but just wish they were a little more customer centric! When I was working full time if I did not do my job that was a problem. Fingers crossed!

The problem with HP, and it is fairly well known and I have written about it before, is that HP does not carry spares. The minute your one-year warranty runs out, unless you have paid for extended warranty, they will refuse to replace or service any fault you may have. If you have extended warranty or you are within the the initial one year period, they merely replace the printer with a new one, even if the model is a newer one.

Re, HP printers.
I have had HP Printers for more than 20 years, I found that any faults will occur in the first few months, whilst under guarantee, I recently bought an A3 Epson printer, the only comment I can make is WOW! Stunning colours, phenomenal definition and UNBELIEVABLY VERY economical on ink. Would not go back to HP now.

Re, HP printers.
I have had HP Printers for more than 20 years, I found that any faults will occur in the first few months, whilst under guarantee, I recently bought an A3 Epson printer, the only comment I can make is WOW! Stunning colours, phenomenal definition and UNBELIEVABLY VERY economical on ink. Would not go back to HP now.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I came to the opposite conclusion a few years back, The Epson was prone to jet clogging unless you used the printer more or less on a daily basis. The printer failed after a few months & I contacted Epson support who said that if I use the printer only for occasional use I should print a test page every day to keep the print head from drying up :rolleyes: They would not honour the warranty because I had 'misused it' by not using it! o_O

I was advised elsewhere to buy a HP printer as the print head was on the actual cartridge so if it failed you only needed to replace the ink cartridge if it dried up. That was o.k but now I have Xerox mono laser printer which can print both sides and can never dry up as the 'ink' is actually powder

Back