• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Problem solving for those who know Balsall Heath

I found this reference to Princess Place behind Nos. 15&16 but can't find any reference to Meya Villas unfortunately.

Attachments

• princess place.jpg
    princess place.jpg
    951.5 KB · Views: 7
I have found it impossible in a number of other cases to find any reference to the enscribed name of the place on electoral rolls and censuses, only back of or court no. But I am convinced of the identification as it goes with a route, going north up upper cox st, past nos 11,12 and the back of the school opposite, and then to corne rof Balsall heath road, along balsall heath road and then into Mary st. I will be putting these photos on the main 1969-73 thread with additional information as to buildings that I can find

I have found it impossible in a number of other cases to find any reference to the enscribed name of the place on electoral rolls and censuses, only back of or court no. But I am convinced of the identification as it goes with a route, going north up upper cox st, past nos 11,12 and the back of the school opposite, and then to corne rof Balsall heath road, along balsall heath road and then into Mary st. I will be putting these photos on the main 1969-73 thread with additional information as to buildings that I can find
Yes Mike, I'm totally convinced too. In my post #8 for some reason (tired brain perhaps) I thought the house numbers were even in which case the house next to the one I coloured blue would have been 28. It's only when I reread your post I realised it was 27, so in fact it all fits perfectly.
I can also understand why some people would put the name of 'Princess Place' on their census return, they must have felt quite special being in an exclusive club of only 4 properties. The title 'Meya Villas' on the other hand doesn't seem quite as prestigious.

Kieron
That would probably apply to many houses around Birmingham . Phil, who was involved in the demolition and , occasionally renovation, of many properties at that time, has often made the point that, although there was much sub-standard building, there were also many well built buildings of character that could have been retained
I remember - having lived in Balsall Heath between 1974 and 1977 - that there were two quite distinct sides to it. The Moseley side of Edward Road consisted of fairly well kept Edwardian terraces which - according to Google Maps - are still there though obviously most have had new windows and often doors. The City side consisted of very scrubby waste ground, derelict or heading-that-way streets/shops/deserted businesses, all of which were gradually being demolished; Maps shows airy streets of modern housing there now.

I converted some 1975 slides today showing quite a lot of the derelict B.Heath - anyone interested in seeing them?.

Last edited:
I remember - having lived in Balsall Heath between 1974 and 1977 - that there were two quite distinct sides to it. The Moseley side of Edward Road consisted of fairly well kept Edwardian terraces which - according to Google Maps - are still there though obviously most have had new windows and often doors. The City side consisted of very scrubby waste ground, derelict or heading-that-way streets/shops/deserted businesses, all of which were gradually being demolished; Maps shows airy streets of modern housing there now.

I converted some 1975 slides today showing quite a lot of the derelict B.Heath - anyone interested in seeing them?.
hi tidd...i am sure a lot of our members would love to see your slides...thank you

lyn

I would think here is perfectly acceptable

Last edited by a moderator:
Back