• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Private Railways In Birmingham

thanks for that, i have a map of the old lines i have been looking.on cashmores. but cant find any details on no4.
no 11 dont look the same

Attachments

• branch line.png
    branch line.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
For information these are the know railway lines that existed in the north/east of Birmingham.
Purple - London & North Western Railway
Yellow - Midland Railway
Green - Great Western Railway
I suspect that many of the sidings were privately owned although show in the colours of the connecting railway.
1549986274334.png

Found this

Bagnall 0-4-0 Works No 2088, a 2 foot gauge locomotive is seen at Minworth Sewage Works on 4th March 1961. Built in 1918 this was one of two steam locomotives that had survived to the end of steam working and was saved for preservationBagnall 0-4-0 Works No 2088, a 2 foot gauge locomotive is seen at Minworth Sewage Works on 4th...jpg

Last edited:
Not a railway in Birmingham but a railway of Birmingham. This photo shows the Birmingham Corporation Waterworks Railway (BCWW on the wagons) during the laying of one of the foundations stones for the Elan Valley dams. The wagons, no doubt cleaned up for the occasion, carrying numerous dignitaries from Birmingham for the ceremony. Photo taken from Powys Digital History Project website. http://history.powys.org.uk/history/rhayader/ceremony.html

1584956847749.png

Hope this helps. The old railways overlaid on the modern Google Maps. Also shows the Corporation tramlines. I have centred the map on the approx N/S line of Nechells Place & Devon St.
Dark Blue - LNWR, Yellow - Midland Rlwy, Magenta - Corp Tramways
thanks David thats a great help.

The gasworks railways are shown to serve Windsor Street (left) Nechells (centre) and Saltley

All made town gas using retorts that were modified and improved over time. Saltley also had a coke oven- see my chapter in Workshop of the World p 55- 77, Sutton Publishing 2006.

Adderley Street gasworks lacked a rail connection

Hi,

David Grain's excellent picture of the railway systems around Saltley prompted me
to take a look at an old linen blueprint I have of the Birmingham properties of
Metropolitan Cammell . Unfortunately it is not dated, but must be 1960's or before.

Fortunately it shows all the private railway systems for both the Saltley Works, the
Midland Works, and the links between, so I thought It might be of interest to
someone on here. It's difficult to copy the relevant bits of a large blueprint with
an A4 copier/scanner, but it seems to be all there, with enough reference points
to put them all together.

If anybody has any interest in any other parts of the Met properties of the era which
seem to be houses and an outline of the sports ground at Ward End, please let me know.

I suppose I should really find a safe repository for this Blueprint, as I'm sure it will
be binned when I'm gone.

Kind regards
Dave

Attachments

• Scan_0001.jpg
    Scan_0001.jpg
    698 KB · Views: 17
  • Scan_0002.jpg
    Scan_0002.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Scan_0003.jpg
    Scan_0003.jpg
    966 KB · Views: 17
It would also be of use to note the numerical sequence. (1) would be the original Works and (9) the later works of the company. The word M ..... RAILWAY might indicate Midland Railway or (L) M (S) and that also could help with the date.

My guess is the M________AND RAILWAY would mean Midland Railway which is the company which owned that line pre 1923. Subsequently it would have been the London Midland and Scottish Railway although the Midland Railway name would have continued to be used for many years.

Hi,

The picture in post 73 does show the railway as L M and S.

I have finally scanned the other properties on the drawing,
and they are attached below.

Kind regards
Dave

Attachments

• Scan_0005.jpg
    Scan_0005.jpg
    501.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Scan_0006.jpg
    Scan_0006.jpg
    598.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Scan_0007.jpg
    Scan_0007.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Scan_0008.jpg
    Scan_0008.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Scan_0009.jpg
    Scan_0009.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Scan_0010.jpg
    Scan_0010.jpg
    692.5 KB · Views: 14
The M & B Brewery at Cape Hill was the only one of the Birmingham Breweries to have a rail link. All others relied on road transport. Butler's Springfield Brewery at Wolverhampton (later M & B) had a siding that linked with the GWR north of Low Level Station. The Lichfield Brewery Co had a siding that was near City Station, whilst Evans and Co had rail served Maltings near Trent Valley Station
Two pictures of the Cape Hill M & B Loco's

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 14
  • M & B Cape Hill Loco.JPG
    M & B Cape Hill Loco.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 14
The cutting from the Harborne Railway to the M&B brewery has been filled in so is difficult to see from the footpath that runs along the trackbed of the Harborne Railway. However the City Road Bridge can still be seen.

Not sure of the purpose of this for Morris motors. It was listed on eBay some time ago as a ‘railway plan’. Not dated but might be of general interest. Viv.B908D176-49E7-4BB9-B44F-142BE0D720BB.jpeg

Not sure of the purpose of this for Morris motors. It was listed on eBay some time ago as a ‘railway plan’. Not dated but might be of general interest. Viv.
As the line out of the works is marked "To BR" this must be after the nationalisation of the railways in 1948.

Yes the exit crossed the footpath to join up with Bromford sidings. The car works were developed by Morris Motors with their offices facing Drews Lane. In later years the factory became LDV.

Back