• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Private Park in Moseley

Ken Butler

Brummie babby
There was a private park in Moseley with access off the Moseley Road in the village by a bookstore I thinkand from Salisbury road down the hill.
Anyone know any more about it?

There is a private park where you state, the keys are available to the residents of Moseley. I have only been in there a couple of times, there is a lake and tennis courts, and they hold the Moseley Jazz festival thee each year.

I understand that the park was created as part of the deal to build Salisbury Road.

just to point out that you do not have to be a resident of the area to join up and have access to the park..it really does look a lovely spot and the ice house looks very interesting...

lyn

HI MORT
Yes you are qiuite correct it falls betwen the back of the midland bank that use to be there and the estate agents there
that goes down behind it, infact the estate agents are still there but at my time it was a different estate agents my good old friend
whom as been since a kid was the manager there at the time and i used to reposse houses for them in the mosely area
he as married a tv celeb ; whom i will not named and i think it might be okay to say that also within that building was a guy by the name of
woods he was old and retired from the city of birmingham formany years he was the chiefe finnance officier for the whole of birmingham
whom hadled its birmingham finance for and through out our city of birminham ;he was a big noise in he city i am going back at least thirty years now
at the time of is reign it would have ben in the early 1900s is son set up another estate agents in harbourne but as said i wil not name the company
but getting back on track yes you had to get the key to get in andused the facilitys and yes it did go back salibury mort and they them themselves
are worth a fortune i have been inone or two of them way back intime and one well known MP of todays in the country which everybody
knows is name move into one of those housesback in the seventys whom house i had been and his pervuos address as well before going into
salibury rd house but getting back on track behind those shops of the book shop and the estate agents my friend greg
bought some proper rd marking paint and asked me to mark out the parking bays for the staff as people was driving down behind the bussines and
taking the space reserved for his staff ;so i went one sunday morning and marked out ten bays and put the sign up on the fencing
for no parking -;;;;;; staff only ; mort i have not forgotten that walk you know jhave you ; ? best wishes alan ; astonian;;;

A couple of views across the lake looking toward Chantry Rd of Chantry Rd Private Park Moseley. I believe the Estate Agents that have been mentioned on this thread was where you could buy a yearly pass for the park. I don't know if thats the way it is today.

Attachments

• Moseley Chantry Park.jpg
    Moseley Chantry Park.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Moseley Chantry Private Park.jpg
    Moseley Chantry Private Park.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 46
Hi all.
I worked at Moseley Park in the 1970s, because the vandals kept breaking into the sports pavilion and pushing the tennis court rollers into the lake at the bottom of the hill someone in authority decided to open up the Ice House and make a secure home for the rollers.
The job entailed opening up the old doorway and fitting a new secure door and several padlocks.
I started chopping the old brickwork out thinking of all that may be in there after the years it had been sealed, when I took down enough bricks to let in some daylight to my huge disappointment the first thing I saw was a modern Coca Cola tin and that was all I found except for about three foot of water in the bottom.
The place itself was like a Igloo in shape with lots of brick pliths around the bottom for the meat I presume and the workmanship was superb considering it was buried under the ground

regards Acklam19

I can remember Moseley Park from the early 80's when I was at Moseley Hall for my geriatric placement - and yes it was called geriatrics then, not care of the elderly, it's more pc name! - and we were allowed access to the park for relaxation, it was a lovely peaceful place got to see the ice house too, found it quite eerie insie.
Sue

Coincidently, I was in Moseley Park yesterday and stood in this spot. I have to say that it was looking stunningly beautiful

It is a lovely little park. You would never know it is there When I met my wife she was living in Moseley and had a key. We spent some happy times there, often with a picnic and a bottle of wine. I thought that I knew Birmingham pretty well but never knew that this special little place existed before we met.

HI MORT
Yes you are qiuite correct it falls betwen the back of the midland bank that use to be there and the estate agents there
that goes down behind it, infact the estate agents are still there but at my time it was a different estate agents my good old friend
whom as been since a kid was the manager there at the time and i used to reposse houses for them in the mosely area
he as married a tv celeb ; whom i will not named and i think it might be okay to say that also within that building was a guy by the name of
woods he was old and retired from the city of birmingham formany years he was the chiefe finnance officier for the whole of birmingham
whom hadled its birmingham finance for and through out our city of birminham ;he was a big noise in he city i am going back at least thirty years now
at the time of is reign it would have ben in the early 1900s is son set up another estate agents in harbourne but as said i wil not name the company
but getting back on track yes you had to get the key to get in andused the facilitys and yes it did go back salibury mort and they them themselves
are worth a fortune i have been inone or two of them way back intime and one well known MP of todays in the country which everybody
knows is name move into one of those housesback in the seventys whom house i had been and his pervuos address as well before going into
salibury rd house but getting back on track behind those shops of the book shop and the estate agents my friend greg
bought some proper rd marking paint and asked me to mark out the parking bays for the staff as people was driving down behind the bussines and
taking the space reserved for his staff ;so i went one sunday morning and marked out ten bays and put the sign up on the fencing
for no parking -;;;;;; staff only ; mort i have not forgotten that walk you know jhave you ; ? best wishes alan ; astonian;;;
Hi, bit off topic but:
The estate agency mentioned was Owen Woods in 1982 run by father & son. Owen Woods was for many years a BCC councillor, rather than an employee, if it's the same guy. Very good firm - sold our house for £6000 more than "a rather dodgy firm" in Kings Heath valued it at. A lot of money in 1982!

Last edited:
That's how I remember it, Mort, though I haven't been there since 1960. My mate lived at the top end of Salisbury Road, but now lives in Essex. Cheers.

Maurice :cool:

I've not visited since the 1980s when I knew several people living in Moseley. Anyone can rent a key these days. £60 per year plus £10 joining fee. 2022 prices. People who live in the surrounding roads can obtain keys to their own private entrance from their gardens. But if you live nearby and have the money then it continues to be an attractive park.

Back