• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Private Edward John Ray (46267) - 2nd and later 3rd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment

Highness

RAY FAMILY ABOUT 1915.jpg

Private Edward John Ray (46267) with his family - 2nd and later 3rd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment. He is my great granddad.

Left to right are: Private Edward John Ray, Jack Ray (son), Albert Ray (son), Edward John Ray (son), Ellen Ray (wife; nee Grainger) and in mid center front Lilly Ray (daughter).
Photo was taken round October 1915. Residence at that time was 2 Back, 42, Whitmore St., Hockley, Birmingham. My mother, Jean May Ray (granddaughter of Edward John and Ellen) used to live there too until the house was bombed during the WWII Blitz (November 1940?).

He served both in 2nd Bn Worcestershire Regiment and later transferred to 3rd Bn Worcestershire Regiment . Edward John was posted to 2nd Bn Worcestershire Regiment in France / Flanders after training and subsequently joined 3rd Bn Worcestershire Regiment (possibly as a result of being evacuated sick or wounded).
I cannot find when he enlisted nor when he was transferred from 2nd to 3rd Bn. He enlisted in Birmingham. I also learned from The Mercian Regiment Museum that he did not go overseas until after 1915. This is concluded from the medal index card which does not show that he was awarded the 1915 Star. EJ Ray was awarded the Victory medal and British medal. Ellen Ray (nee Grainger) would also have received the WWI Memorial Plaque.

He died of multiple shell wounds on both legs and thighs in Canadian Casualty Clearing Station CCS No. 3, which was located where Lijssenthoek Cemetery is located now, just south of Poperinge. Lijssenthoek Cemetery is locally also known as “Remy Cemetery” because it was located behind Remy Quaghebeur Farm which served as a field hospital (Canadian CCS No. 3) which was called “Remy Sidings”.

Private Ray died 4th September 1917 and is buried on Lijssenthoek Military Cemetary in Poperinge, Belgium.

I doubt I will find more information because many war records were lost during the WWII Blitz over London. But I will not give up.

Any additional information is very much welcomed. I am also curious if anyone can tell more about Pte. EJ Ray or the Hockley area, in particular around 42 Whitmore Street.

Re: Private Edward John Ray (46267) - 2nd and later 3rd Battalion Worcestershire Regi

HI
Private Edward John Ray,s Will is available on' Find a soldiers will-Gov.uk' they don,t give much information,
but are written in their own hand and a nice addition to family history. Michael

Back