• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Williams Clive Private 57334 1/8 Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Hello,

I'm back again! Three years on from last time.

On Tuesday 30 October 2018, I travelled to Rouen and visited 57334 Private Clive Williams, 1/8 Royal Warwickshire Regiment's grave for the first time.

A truly humbling experience and one full of emotion.

I still long for the photograph!

Best wishes

Clive

I have a photograph of 1/8 Regiment taken sometime between 1915 and March 1917 - might this help in your search?

With the kind permission of member PatHayward, I post here a two-part photograph that Pat believes was taken sometime after 1915 of 1/8 Royal Warwickshire Regiment. This is a very generous offering by PatHayward and I am very grateful. Anyone know any names?image1.JPG

Attachments

• image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
Sorry Folks, I hate to be a wet blanket but there's a hell of a mixture of cap badges in this photo. Without doing my homework I'm wondering if this is, in fact, a picture of a Machine Gun course. (Possibly Divisional).

I am stunned. This photo belonged to my late father in law - he was sitting on the front row at the right hand end of the second part of the picture and he was in 1/8 Royal Warwicks. We inherited the photo when he passed away over 40 years ago and my husband and I bought it to the summer meet-up of the Forum in 2015.

However, isn't it wonderful that PatHayward has provided a photo, and one that features her late father-in-law, who was in the 1/8 Royal Warwickshire Regiment. He probably new 57334 Clive Williams. I know, I feel it, there is a photo out there somewhere. Someone else still honours his memory too... I just feel it!

While it's clear that the photo is not of 1/8 RWR, the Warwicks' cap badge is very much in evidence. I find it fascinating, identifying the various regiments. There are even two men from the Bedfordshire Yeomanry there, which really surprised me.

For display on the forum I have joined the two images which are in post#44. The original colours are retained but some tidy-up of the hedge and trees in the background.
WW1---Photo.jpg

I am looking forward to reading this book as part of my learning about Clive
IMG_20181106_130243.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181106_124347.jpg
    IMG_20181106_124347.jpg
    490.4 KB · Views: 10
I've no idea how to link a person's name on this forum but I would like to extend a very public thank you to Terry Carter for his kind help and information.

Like so many of us on this site and others like it, my only determination is to keep alive the spirit of those who died

As this amazing day of commemoration itself becomes a refrain carried in the wind, I must say that the BBC has done an excellent job today.

I wish to extend my grateful thanks to everyone on this site who has directed and assisted and advised me since I first came here in my search for Clive. You are all ever so kind.

To everyone who remembered someone today, either from the First World War, or any of the wars, conflicts, and terrorist attacks since, may God hold your loved ones close in gratitude for their sacrificial devotion to protecting decency, morals, beliefs, and democracy.

"And in dying that we are born to eternal peace"

Tomorrow, 20/11/18, is the 100th commemoration of the death of Clive.

I know that someone out there knows about Clive, has a photo, his medals, his memory. Please, I just want to see a photo of him.

I will, until my last day, continue to honour Clive's memory.

RIP

You had a few missing dates on your first post and I can't see that you found them.

Amplias Williams appears to be living alone in Atherstone in 1939 (register) and her death was registered Dec qtr 1941.

Arthur Swain Williams death was registered in Totnes district, Jun qtr 1954. With a name like Williams there's too many possible marriages to know if any of them are his (maybe Ada Marler) but there's a probate record which might list a family member.

Henrietta Amplias Swain Williams did indeed marry William Fenn and death is registered 1974 Sutton Coldfield district. Henrietta and William travelled to the US in 1939.

Last edited:
Ada seems to be his wife then (as above) and Dorothy his daughter. There were three Williams/Marler children registered. As well as Dorothy (reg 1921) there was a Joyce who is someone else's and a John E (reg 1934 Bham) who I also doubt is their child.

Dorothy marries Geoffrey (Philip ?) Dale, reg 1951 in Coventry and appears to remarry to Edwin G Fogwill, reg 1960 in Totnes.

Last edited:
There was a Dorothy Fogwill on the eroll for Paignton in 2004. Birth date 1921 to 1923. No death online (registers only to 2007).

{Possible death for Edwin in 1986.)

It appears that Dorothy didn't have children from either marriage which could mean that she was the last living descendant of Clive's parents.

Back