• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Williams Clive Private 57334 1/8 Royal Warwickshire Regiment

OH MY WORD! I really do not know what to say, Wendy... this is simply amazing and by far the biggest lead I've experienced on my search. Thank golly you had lunch! Seriously, thank you very much. I telephoned the paper, but the reporter is away until Monday. However, I've already tracked down one of the other sisters, got her email and will email her the story this evening. I will be sure to keep you all informed. Thank you again, what a wonderful start to 2012! x

Wow Clive you certainly move fast! I am so pleased you have made contact. As you say what a great result someone must have been pointing me in this direction to help you. I have to say this is quite spooky and not the first time something like this has happened to me. All the very best and good luck with your search. Do keep us updated.

well how wonderful is this wend and clive..well done wend for spotting the artical and as said clive will you please keep us informed of developements...the power of this forum never ceases to amaze me...

lyn

As soon as I get information it's acted upon. I'm not one to sit back and wonder if I shoudl contact... aware of emotions in this situation, I've obviously been respectful. But one should always act quickly.

Wendy I really am grateful. I owe you a sandwich... now where's my Boots loyalty point hahaha

I will keep you all informed. x

Clive your Boots points are safe...lol I am just so pleased I bought the Herald today! I am glad I could help and remebered Dr McColl's name. I do hope it all turns out well.

Hello, hello. Just to update: there is no update. I hope the paper or family will reflect and come back in positive terms.

UPDATE

Further to all the enthusiasm above... I received the following email from Claire MacTavish, as mentioned in the article (g-daughter of Dr McColl). Back to the drawing board!

"Dear Clive

Thank you for your message. I am the person you are after, one of the grandchildren of Daniel McColl.

However I’m afraid I can’t help because there seems to be an error in one of the records you have found. In 1911 Daniel McColl married Elsie Chilwell and she was our grandmother, not Henrietta Williams.

I’m very sorry not to be able to help, but wish you good luck in your research.

Best wishes
Claire MacTavish"

Hi

Sorry to hear this. I can see where the confusion arose though as there are 2 possible marriages so if it isn't Daniel McColl the other person on the list is William Fenn.

Regards

Suzanne

Thanks! It's one of those things isn't it. A real shame as that contact and article made Clive touchable...

Although not sure how there could be two possible marriage connections when the person who actually married Dr Daniel was a completely different name!

But we dust ourselves off and try again, eh! We need another newspaper article!!!! lol

"Although not sure how there could be two possible marriage connections when the person who actually married Dr Daniel was a completely different name!"

When I mentioned 2 possible marriage connections I meant the registration details show 4 people, 2 men and 2 women, thereby only guesswork, without the actual certificate as to who married who. As you now know Daniel McColl married Elsie Chilwell, then the other femaile on the list, Henrietta most likely married the other male, William Fenn.

Suzanne

Margarets birth registration incorrectly transcribed as Margaret E McColgin 1918 Tamworth mother Chilwell although her brothers Hugh 1916 and Eric 1921 are correct as Mc Coll.

1/8 Royal Warwichshire Regiment my Grandfather was Fredrick Alden and I believe was a Colour Sergeant and was one of only 22 to come out of the battle of the Somme, he died when in his 90's.

Unfortunately these people don't say much all we have are old photographs, and I met an old teacher while at Boldmere High School for Boys in about 1961 he was one of the first world war soldiers that had been trained as teachers after the war. This teacher asked me if my Grandfather was Fredrick Alden I said yes and it turned out it was friends with my Grandfather and this teacher was in the Royal Flying Corp, and my Grandfather he said had flown with him also said my Grandfather was also a sniper which I did not know but this all was confirmed by his daughter, mothers half sister also my aunt named Olive.

I've been out of touch with this for a while. I often find when, on the verge of a research discovery, which then does not sit 'true', that it drains me emotionally and I walk away.

I know that someone out there knows Clive, has his medals and a photo. I know that to be true. I was told a number of years ago that that person wanted to remain private. I appreciate and understand their wishes, yet that person does not place a poppy cross in Westminster Abbey gardens, nor do they pay for a poppy wreath to be placed at Clive's grave in France. I do, so it frustrates me that this person will not share further their information.

I am sorry to hear that. The problem today I think is trust many people are very nervous of trusting others they don't know. I know what you mean though. You have no interest in owning these things just a photograph would be enough to add to your research. I have photo's of medals and it's better than nothing. If the person who has these items would send copies to me or contact me by IM I would be more than happy to help as a "go between" as it were. Clive you deserve at least a message for the kindness you have shown and the time you have spent bringing Clive's name back to "life". I do hope someone makes contact and this is only research done out of interest and kindness.

Thank you, Wendy. Kind and comforting words. You are a warming glow in an oft cold and lonely place!

Sadly, I no longer have the email of the person who had kindly written to me to tell me this major, but unhelpful, news. You know, if I could find a photograph of Clive, just so I can see his face, it would bring to a close my research. Yet this is the case for us all!

*hugs*

Clive

Morning! I wonder if the kindly faces are still here - Wendy?

It has been three years since I was last on here. Today, 18 May, in 1894, Clive was born. I was thinking, because of all the interest in WWI, that someone might just come forward with the one and only thing I would like - a photograph of Private Clive Williams.

Love all

Clive

Hello Clive I have searched and will always remember the name Clive Williams. I have asked locally with sadly no luck as yet. I will keep trying though. We won't give up! Nice to hear from you.

awww Wendy! Great to see you are still here "Legendary Brummie"! I know I haven't been on for a while, but the search continues :) Hope all is well and dandy with you? x

Back