• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Priory Road Uxb May 2017

It hasn't always been waste land. There was a factory on there called " Priory works" for years.
It was always houses on the site. One row on the road and another row behind. My mum used to live at number 83, 2 houses down from Vic’s Cafe. She said that it looked to be in the yard of the greengrocers shop with the double gates.

Hi! My mum said that her home (number 83) had received roof damage and 1/81 was damaged by an incendiary bomb. My grandad was an AFS volunteer and was caught in the blast but survived.
Just had a chat with mum and she said that the roof was already bomb damaged when they moved into 83 around mid 1940 but 1/81 was bombed in Oct 1942. They were the Dalziel family, for anyone curious. My mother was evacuated to Scotland for most of the war.

I lived at 3/55 Priory Road.My dad was in the ARP...he used to tell me a stick of three bombs were dropped,one was dropped on Salford Park,one on Queens Road,the third never found.assumed it fell in the river tame.Now it seems this third bomb was the one found in Priory Road!.
It would have been about 20 yards from where I lived..The gardens to the rear of 55 were all overgrown so this could be where the bomb was dropped and lay hidden all those years.
I was born in Priory Road in 1941 and left 1968,living all those years so close to a bomb!!!

patperks, attempted to send PM asking if you knew Edna Nicholls (my sister in law) or Hilda Tims but without success. Eric

I'm writing this on behalf of my husband John Perks who lived at 3/55.
Hilda Timms's mother was my aunt's sister.Hilda sadly passed away in April 2017.

Thanks Pat, I knew Hilda when she was a telephonist at Midland Counties Dairy, I was the PO Engineer who maintained their telephone system. Edna told me she had passed away. Eric

Back