• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Priory Road Uxb May 2017

UXB discoverd in priory road aston
We had two unexploded bombs fall near our house. The first made a hole in the pavement at the bottom of the road and people in houses near it had to go to relatives. All the kids in the street still had to go to school and when we came home the bomb had gone leaving just a hole for us to look in.
The second bomb dropped in the road next to us and everyone in that road had to get out and stay in our school and we had the day off. With nothing to do we decided to creep through the back gardens to have a look at the German bomb. The road was deserted so we crept up to a large stack of sandbags on someone's front garden and saw the bomb through a gap partially embedded in a lawn.

What was at the location at which the bomb fell in the 1940s, anyone know? Now it is some sort of construction site, but where did it fall on the 1940s map? Residential or industrial area or waste ground?

Maurice

My sister in law Edna lived in Priory Rd when she married in 1959 for 15 years blissfully unaware of a UXB nearby (now lives near me in Chelmsley Wood). Eric

hi eric its amazing to think of what is beneath our feet...fancy your sister living so close to the UXB..do you know what number she lived at?

hi maurice i have posted links but according to where the red circle is on the mail site pinpointing the location of the bomb it looks to be between a row of houses and the priory works shown below,,according to reports the site has never been devoloped

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=52.5072&lon=-1.8710&layers=6&b=1

Hi astonb6, my office is just inside the cordoned-off area so I couldn't go to work today. It's a big b..... isn't it? 500lb I think. Who knows what else is down there that hasn't been unearthed. Were they aiming for the factories or the city centre do you think?

devonjim -sorry, I can never tell where I am on those aerial shots. All I know is it's down the Lichfield Road, coming from Spaghetti, to the King Edward VII, lovely pub they have just demolished, fork right, towards Aston Villa and it's down there. We travel on the train a lot and we've remarked on the amount of excavation that's been going on between Priory Road and the railway line.

looking at the map the viaduct is very close pen...so a day off for you today..bet thats upset you lol

lyn

Thanks, Lyn, that was a bit of luck, effectively waste ground. And I see according to your map there is a "Tank"guarding it! :) Sorry, couldn't help that! :) :) :)

Maurice

maurice i checked the barra site and no reports of injuries or deaths for priory road so yes a lot of luck

lyn

thanks froth see post 225 re priory works...ive been mulling this over and taking into account that there were houses in priory road i cant see how a bomb that size can land un noticed and be left there...i think erics sister in law and others were very fortunate that the bomb did not go off when they were living in priory road..

Last edited:
I missed post 225.
I thought that about the bomb, it would have made a big hole even if it didn't explode. It would have done considerable damage to them houses if it had exploded.

Apparently they're going to do a controlled explosion in situ so I'm waiting for the big bang.Would there be one? Last I heard they are building a cocoon of sand around it.

Back