• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

printing problem

I have a problem with my HP ENVY 3700 - the price of the ink. It must be laced with gold for what they cost. Has anyone out there a cheap alternative?

I have a problem with my HP ENVY 3700 - the price of the ink. It must be laced with gold for what they cost. Has anyone out there a cheap alternative?
true. i have envy. as well. i dont use it due to the ink cost.and there is not much ink in a new cartridges.
i am not very lucky with hp printers, i have order'd a epson 2105 now. the ink is cheaper. £21 for 10.

Might want to try amazon...........In the US their ink prices are quite good, also have third party ink suppliers.

true. i have envy. as well. i dont use it due to the ink cost.and there is not much ink in a new cartridges.
i am not very lucky with hp printers, i have order'd a epson 2105 now. the ink is cheaper. £21 for 10.
Pete, good luck with your Epson, mine was pretty good for sometime. Then support got expensive and they blocked the use of third party inks then changed the ink fountain on a trade in machine :)

i tryed to refill hp ink.but had no luck. they would not work....... i have 10 hp 5524 new ink cartridges free to ever wants them. if they pay the p&p

Last edited:
These days I rarely print colour photos because I look at them on tablets or computers. I do print black and white documents so only need the black cartridge. I have Epson and Canon printers which refuse to print from a full black cartridge if a colour cartridge is empty. I can trick the Canon printer into thinking the colour cartridges contain ink but never managed it with an Epson.

My Epson printer sips ink even when it is doing nothing ... :rolleyes:

If you're not printing colour you'd be better off with a laser printer. I have an HP 1020 (no longer available!) which is fast, prints well and cheap to run - a compatible cartridge at around £10 to 15 lasts me over 12 months. Current HP wireless lasers are around £90.

With both my old HP and Epson printers I used compatible cartridges, the story that Epson blocked the use of third party cartridges is wrong there was a way around it, I never paid the full whack for genuine ones.

For my current HP Envy 5646 I have an 'Instant ink' supply contract, costs me £1.99 per month for 50 pages, the printer tells HP when ink is needed and it arrives in the post in good time to change, also has a prepaid envelope to send the empties back.

There are a range of price options if you need more pages and if you only occasionally need to go over 50 you can add ten more for £1.00
https://instantink.hpconnected.com/uk/en/l/

If you're not printing colour you'd be better off with a laser printer. I have an HP 1020 (no longer available!) which is fast, prints well and cheap to run - a compatible cartridge at around £10 to 15 lasts me over 12 months. Current HP wireless lasers are around £90.
Thanks ... I agree that a laser printer is best for documents but I already have two printers.

I've had an Epson XP332 wifi printer for about 4 years and I'm very satisfied with it apart from it's appetite for ink. I do occasionally use it's colour to print personalised birthday cards for the grandkids etc. When any one of the four cartridges is empty it refuses to print.

Someone then bought me a very nice Canon TS5000 wifi printer which has 5 cartridges which are expensive to replace. In addition to the usual cartridges, the 5th cartridge is an extra large black just for printing docs and this is the only one I replace. I can usually fool the printer into thinking the colour cartridges are full but not always ... :)

These days I rarely print colour photos because I look at them on tablets or computers. I do print black and white documents so only need the black cartridge. I have Epson and Canon printers which refuse to print from a full black cartridge if a colour cartridge is empty. I can trick the Canon printer into thinking the colour cartridges contain ink but never managed it with an Epson.

My Epson printer sips ink even when it is doing nothing ... :rolleyes:
OldMohawk, had the same problem with my Edson and they would not run with anything But Eason ink! Then the head drive servo went crazy and I had to keep tricking it to HOME.

I have only had two printers, one was part of an HP bundle (tower, printer and monitor with Windows XP)) when purchased in 2003. It was a PSC = printer, scanner, copier. My second - which I still use - is an HP Envy all-in-one. I never have had any issues with either but do find inks expensive. It seems they always have been. At one time some of the cheaper ones gave you the printer - it paid for itself in ink costs I guess. Only once did I buy for the PSC printer a 'compatible' ink. Not good- it had a tendency to fade. So I always stick to HP ink.
Fortunately I do not need to print a lot so ink costs are not a big factor for me.

i tryed to refill hp ink.but had no luck. they would not work....... i have 10 hp 5524 new ink cartridges free to ever wants them. if they pay the p&p
Apparently the reason it does not work is that there is some software in the cartridges that counts the number of copies that it does and then switches it off so the refilling does not do anything. Unless you can find a way to rewind the software to zero nothing will happen. This seems to be almost anti-competitive behaviour to me.

This pales into insignificance compared to John Deere tractor owners in America because when you buy one the company keeps control of the software so when they need to be repaired only an authorised dealer who has the diagnostic equipment can do the job. There is an ongoing court case in US to resolve this to force the company to release the diagnostic equipment to other repairers to break the monopoly.
Sorry for the rant.

Regards from Redruth

Arnold

Apparently the reason it does not work is that there is some software in the cartridges that counts the number of copies that it does and then switches it off so the refilling does not do anything. Unless you can find a way to rewind the software to zero nothing will happen. This seems to be almost anti-competitive behaviour to me.

This pales into insignificance compared to John Deere tractor owners in America because when you buy one the company keeps control of the software so when they need to be repaired only an authorised dealer who has the diagnostic equipment can do the job. There is an ongoing court case in US to resolve this to force the company to release the diagnostic equipment to other repairers to break the monopoly.
Sorry for the rant.

Regards from Redruth

Arnold
Arnold, most vehicle manufacturers in the US and elsewhere control their software to their dealers or authorized agents. For safety and emissions reasons (that's the story). I know that BMW & MB, Honda & Toyota do the same or they make the diagnostic equipment so expensive to buy that most small shops cannot afford to. there are some third party software's that can do some of the analysis.

What Epson does on their ink is have a chip imbedded and if the printer cant read it is will not run. i tried that and had Epson support on the phone and they were able to tell which color cartridge was not genuine Epson.

With both my old HP and Epson printers I used compatible cartridges, the story that Epson blocked the use of third party cartridges is wrong there was a way around it, I never paid the full whack for genuine ones.

For my current HP Envy 5646 I have an 'Instant ink' supply contract, costs me £1.99 per month for 50 pages, the printer tells HP when ink is needed and it arrives in the post in good time to change, also has a prepaid envelope to send the empties back.

There are a range of price options if you need more pages and if you only occasionally need to go over 50 you can add ten more for £1.00
https://instantink.hpconnected.com/uk/en/l/

thats sounds good to me

Arnold
you can but a tool to rewrite the chip, but they are mega wonga

Back