• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Printer's Compositor

D

di allen

My grandfather was also a printer compositor. He was William Allen and in the 1901 census was living at 7, Court 2 Cheapside. Does any one know hwere the nearest place of work for compositors at that time? thanks, Di.

Hi Di,,possibly The Birmingham Post &/or Evening Mail re 1901,
Cheapside only 5 minute walk across to City Centre Print/Press Works :)

Well I have another 'printer's compositor' My Great Grandfather Thomas Gibson born 1837 is listed as such in the 1891 census.

Baskerville House was the home of printing in early Birmingham there are a few monuments of type cast outside of the building Baskerville House is now going through a redevelopment at the moment since Birmingham council moved out

I've just come across a mistake in one of th census records, instead of 'Printers' compositor my gt granddad is listed as a 'Painters' compositor. E.

James Upton was a printer in the central Birmingham area in the 19th century. I believe the premises were in Cambridge Street, and were called Baskerville Works.

I was a compositor at James Upton in the 1960s, by which time they were in Barford Street.

As I recall they'd taken over the Martin Billings business, the only remnant of which seemed to be producing beer bottle labels for Ansells or M&B.

Why are there so many jobs in the printing trade advertised in the Daily Mail its been like that for years? Is it because its a closed shop.

The Daily Mail was the recognised newspaper for printing job adverts. I seem to remember that there was one main day each week when adverts appeared.

The printing industry is (or was at least) quite high up in the list of numbers employed in British industries. Just think of all the unwanted rubbish that comes through the letterbox each day.

I enjoyed your article Dave and it got me wondering if you or anyone else ever had any knowledge of Randall Brothers at Aston Cross
I worked in their warehouse in the mid 60s and I remember their compositor telling me that he had served a seven year apprenticeship.

Hi Dave
Randall Brothers were a pretty large printers, or at least it seemed so to me but since they were the only printers I ever worked for I can't really make any comparisons
At the time that I worked there they used to print all the stationery for the BOAC Airline as it was then and every Saturday morning we used to fill a furniture sized van with stationery just for them.
Looking back I would guess they must have employed about 70 or 80 people and they were next to the library at Aston Cross

My great great grandad called William Rolfe was a printer compositer in the 1881 census. He lived at 50 cato st North, Aston.
I have just found this web site and I think it's brilliant
Julie Herrick

James Upton was a printer in the central Birmingham area in the 19th century. I believe the premises were in Cambridge Street, and were called Baskerville Works.

I was a compositor at James Upton in the 1960s, by which time they were in Barford Street.

As I recall they'd taken over the Martin Billings business, the only remnant of which seemed to be producing beer bottle labels for Ansells or M&B.
Hi my Grandfather Ernest Reader "Coco" was a printer at James Upton for many many years until his retirement I have a lovely picture of him standing next to what I believe was a large 6 colour printer looking at the print - it was of trains - do you remember him?

Hi my Grandfather Ernest Reader "Coco" was a printer at James Upton for many many years until his retirement I have a lovely picture of him standing next to what I believe was a large 6 colour printer looking at the print - it was of trains - do you remember him?
Hi Lorraine. I was a printer at James Upton starting in 1973 and worked for them until 2000. I remember the name "Ernie Reader". Would be great if you could post a copy of the picture you mention.

Back