• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Printer Ink

My missus does a lot on e-bay and prints off everything whether she needs to or not. Good idea about going down to the print-shop with a memory-stick full of photos. I might give that a go.

Big Gee

Donno about Epsom ones, but re fill inks pretty cheap. I been doing it myself for a while now. I got the ink from a supermarket in Portugal -3.99 for enough for 5 or 6 refills so far - but you see the kits on ebay cheap enough, then google the cartridge No. for instructions.

Only works if the old one hasnt been left empty and had time to dry up, and only works about 2 or 3 times with each cartridge though.

I am tryig to find printer ink for the ADVENT 10. They are expensive and run out very, very quickly. Miriam.

You can often tell the quality of printer inks by printing a black and white text document onto good quality paper speecifically made for inkjet printers.

If you look at the text under a magnifying glass, the edges of the letters should be crisp and clear, not smudged by the ink "creeping" along the surface of the paper. Good quality ink will dry the moment it hits the paper, poorer quality will stay moist for longer, thereby allowing it to drift along the surface.

In the case of coloured ink, this creeping effect tends to slightly blur the edges of objects where two contrasting colours adjoin, causing indistinct boundaries.

It is a matter of taste, and for most of us it is a trade off between price and acceptability of the finished product. For our general holiday snaps, perfection may not be so important but if you want a presentation document, you should use the top quality ink (which might not mean that you have to pay top-of-the-range price) - if it is important to you, you need to find the level and the ink (and the paper) that suits you.

If you read up on the subject you will find that, in the case of Epson, they claim that their own photo-quality glossy paper has a compound in the coating that, combined with another contained in the ink, accelerates the drying process even faster, thereby reducing the creeping effect even further.

I don't know whether that is sales hype or the truth but when I worked in a sales environment where presentation of documents was important, I became aware from testing several black inks printing text onto white paper that there were marked differences in the overall effect of the printed page when viewed as a whole.

Back