• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Princethorpe Road School Weoley Castle

dmillward13

Derek Millward
Hi folks, just thought I'd mention that as well as being a pupil at Ilmington, my first school was Princethorpe Road Junior and Infants from 1949 to 1955 and I have many fond memories of that school as it was a much nicer place than Ilmo. I'm uploading a couple of photos taken at Princthorpe, the first one is a group photo of my class in 1950 so I'm hoping that some of you will recognize yourselves, I am second row down and 5th from the left. The second photo is me taken just before Christmas 1953. It would be great if any of you have old photos from Princethorpe to share with us.

Attachments

• Princethorpe Road Infants School  about 1951.jpg
    Princethorpe Road Infants School about 1951.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Derek Millward at Princethorpe Rd Junior School1953.JPG
    Derek Millward at Princethorpe Rd Junior School1953.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 5
Hi folks, just thought I'd mention that before I went to Ilmington, my first school was Princethorpe Road Junior and Infants and I have many fond memories of my time there and I'm sure that many of you do too. I'm uploading a couple of photos taken at Princethorpe, the first one is a group photo of my class taken in 1950 or 51 and I am in the second row down and 5th from the left. The lady on the left is Miss Smallwood and the lady on the right I think is Miss Grundy but I'm not sure so if any of you know for sure then please let me know. The second photo is me now in the Juniors at Christmas 1953.

Good Photo's, My sisters went to Princethorpe Road, I went to Our Lady of St Rose Gregory Avenue, we are younger than you. My first job at "Fatty's", on a Saturday Morning after putting out the meat was to take a note to the "Offie", which was at the bottom of the Square facing John Favours. With a note and 10/-, for 2 small bottles of whiskey, which I put under the box's out back, so his wife did't see them, I heard he changed later in life became quite a dark character, but he was always kind to me. Paul

Good Photo's, My sisters went to Princethorpe Road, I went to Our Lady of St Rose Gregory Avenue, we are younger than you. My first job at "Fatty's", on a Saturday Morning after putting out the meat was to take a note to the "Offie", which was at the bottom of the Square facing John Favours. With a note and 10/-, for 2 small bottles of whiskey, which I put under the box's out back, so his wife did't see them, I heard he changed later in life became quite a dark character, but he was always kind to me. Paul
Thanks for that Paul, very interesting, I remember the Offie and me and my friend Peter Sutton went there 2 or 3 times a week to get 2 pints of draft mild beer for his Dad. I never really knew old Barnfield much but he was always polite if you met him out walking, he would tip his hat and say hello. He seemed a nice person but the amount of booze he drank would have a bad effect on anyone. Do you remember Coleman's the pork butchers? I worked there from 1960 to 63 as cutter out the back and helped making the sausage and cooked meats. The boss John Coleman was a really nice bloke and like a friend to me.

Hi Paul, yes I did Know Colin Cave, he is the same age as me (76) and he was in my class at Princethorpe and I think that might be him top row first on the left in the school photo I posted. I think he lived in Quarry Road a few doors from the school gates. Not sure about Mick Whitehouse but the name rings a bell. In 1964 I moved away from Weoley Castle but did visit quite often as my Mom lived there in Ackleton Grove until she passed away in 1984 and my sister still lives in the area. Like you said that you lived in Milcote Road and new the people in the immediate area, most of the people I know lived either in Ackleton Grove or Ilmington Road.

Hi. I’ve just come across this thread and was hoping that someone may have memories of my parents who went to both Princethorpe Rd and Ilmington Road schools in the 40s/50s. My Mum was Sylvia Eden, from Copston Grove, born 1937, and had a younger sister Christine. My Dad was Anthony Nightingale from Jervoise Road, again born 1937. Both have now sadly passed but if anyone can remember them I’d love to hear about it!
Many Thanks

Back