• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Prince of Wales Theatre Broad St

Kat7272

master brummie
I have searched the POW Theatre, but I cannot see a pic.

Perhaps there isn't a pic but if I have missed it, please could it be posted again.

I now have a map of where my relations lived and I am trying to piece together some details to get an insight on how they may have lived.

I have just looked on the internet and to my delight I have found a couple of pics.

But I would still like to see what the forum could provide if anyone would like to post.

I have been lucky enough to have someone from the forum supply pics before that I couldn't find on the internet, so perhaps I will be lucky again.

Thanks for the info all. These are the pics that I found, but there have been a couple of occasions now where I have had more info from the forum than I could locate on the internet. So I like to ask the forum as you are a clever bunch who know your stuff.

I have a programme for the theatre from 1932, I think I posted some stuff from it before on the forum, the front cover is the same as the one posted further up but priced at 4d, lots of adverts inside.

The offerings were 'Carmen' , 'Madam Butterfly' 'Faust' 'Cavalleria Rusticana' 'Pagliacci' 'While Parents Sleep' a comedy, 'Below the surface' a submarine play,

Post 20 of this thread shows a view of Broad Street from beneath the awning I believe.

Just looking at this thread again, it's really great to have had the map (thanks to the links from this forum) and to see these pics, I can sort of get a mental image now of how Broad Street (and surrounding area) was.

I had found out lots of info, but it was quite frustrating for me as I just could not picture the 'old' Birmingham. Thankfully that frustration has lifted and I am now going back over my findings and piecing it together as it would have been.

I do feel a 'great' sadness, as the pics and maps give me a sense of the 'atmosphere' of the 'old' Birmingham. I really feel for people that have had to witness the 'old' Brum being replaced. I wish I could have lived in Birmingham with my family and other families living only streets away from each other, it must have been fantastic.

I also feel a bit sorry for myself, as I moved to Redditch in 1974 when I was about 2 years old. I cannot remember growing up knowing places in Birmingham, for example Broad Street. I feel like I have missed out on a lot, but thankfully I can learn about Birmingham now. There is still so much to learn, but it does hurt looking back to my childhood thinking that I was growing up somewhere that was not my hometown. That said, Redditch was a great place to grow up as it was all new and modern, and it provided me with safety.

Back