• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Prince of Wales Angelina street

Bidford lass

Brummie babby
Looking through stuff of my late mum's found a coin/token of
In the centre front it had Prince of Wales around outer front edge Angelina Street on back it had old 3d the 3 is quite ornate in style.
Any ideas was it legal currency of the or just for the area/Prince of Wales which I am presuming was/is a Public House

There is something about pub tokens at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pub_token
Frederick Webb is listed in directories for 1878 - 1892 but was not there in the 1876 edition. In 1895 the pub was run by Mrs Catherine Webb and in 1899 by Harry Webb, who is listed there till 1915, but had gone in 1921. The dates are publication dates and probably refer to the year before

The Prince of Wales was at 39 Angelina St till 1878 and then street was renumbered and it became.no 91. the site is now in the grounds of a school and is marked in red on the c1955 map below

map c 1955 showing Prince of Wales  91 Angelina st.jpg

Thanks mikejee for this information I can now pass this information on to my 11yr old granddaughter who is fascinated by history especially family history. We are visiting NT Inge Street soon as found out a relative lived in 14 the Court Inge St. Would Angelina St be in same vicinity or not?

The Inge street houses are close to the centre of Brum Angelina st is probably about just over half a mile further out in approximately the same direction from the centre

Do you mean court 14 Inge st, This was next to the NT court, which was court 15. The NT court is in purple on the c1889 map, and court 14 is in red on the map below

map c 1889 showing courts 14  and 15 Inge St.jpg

The Prince of Wales pictured here in 1957 it closed for demolition in 1960 and as Mike says the site is now part of a school academy.

Prince of Wales Angelina Street - Stanhope Street.jpg

Hi mikejee the marriage certificate we found last week read 14 Court Inge Street so we assumed it was next to the NT 15 Court or opposite after we'd Googled Inge St , it followed on from daughter telling her daughter ( the 11yr old) about a family story of a glass rolling pin we'd just come across it in attic about an ancestor who was a glass blower who'd made this rolling pin as a wedding present for his daughter 2 days later granddaughter found the wedding certificate with the glass blower as the father!

Well you know where it was now, Court 14 disappeared (according to maps) between about 1905 and 1915. Dont know when the glasssblower was around, but the 1901 census of court 14 (called back of no 47 in census) shows no glassblower then

For anyone else researching this pub or its publicans: My great grandfather was Harry Webb who died at the pub in 1917. His father was Frederick Webb. His wife, Catherine, continued to run the pub after Fred died.

Attachments

• Frederick Webb b1840.JPG
    Frederick Webb b1840.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Harry Webb.jpg
    Harry Webb.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 2
Back