• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Primrose Lane , Hall Green .

Some e-rolls are also available at http://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org/, though you need a sub or credits to view.
For 38 Primrose Lane:
1922 John Cotton
1925 John & Harriett Johnson & Richard Ernest Sadlier & Clara Sadlier
1930 Edith Alice & Herbert William Vale
1935, 1939,1945 and 1947 Edith Alice, Florence Edith & Herbert William Vale
1950 Edith Alice, Florence Edith, Alfred G.R. & Herbert William Vale
1952 Edith A Vale
1955 Edith Vale & Edna & Robert Browning
1957, 1962 & 1965 Edith A Vale
it looks like Herbert William passed away between 1950 and 1952 bless him

Drove down there this morning. Spotted the house in question - sold sign a bit of a giveaway. :) Unfortunately that set of houses don't seem to have any names on the walls. I was hoping they would have been in plasterwork high up but I couldn't spot any. We might have to try guesswork based on where in the group it comes.

In 1911 the houses had names not numbers so locating the exact property might prove tricky. I assume Sunnyside is nearest Baldwin's Lane. I also think there were 2 othe unnamed properties listed on a nother page. Do any of the houses still have names by any chance? At that time the property was in Yardley.

View attachment 142711
Hi ...I did a drive by today and two doors down they still have the name plaque on the house as Sunnyside, so that's two doors down coming in from the Robin Hood Lane end of the road ....

Drove down there this morning. Spotted the house in question - sold sign a bit of a giveaway. :) Unfortunately that set of houses don't seem to have any names on the walls. I was hoping they would have been in plasterwork high up but I couldn't spot any. We might have to try guesswork based on where in the group it comes.
Hi no as my post just said ...two doors down has a sunnyside plaque

You must have better eyesight than me :D . Probably because I was looking up.
Need to think about this as Sunnyside is the last listed house before Baldwins Lane in 1911 census.
Bingo - in post #19 Mike put 1922 John Cotton lived at number 38. In 1920 erolls John Cotton is listed at Winslow. Assuming he did not move house.
1583960231625.png

Last edited:
Is that because sunny side is the last of the Victorian houses and there was nothing else built then after that one before Baldwin’s lane and before the Edwardian era in 1911
1911 census - written by the occupant has the name of the house as Wimslow
pjmburns what a star you are thanks , were already building up a picture of life at the turnof the century , mmm winder who and when it was built

1913 Kelly's has Albert Stoppard at Wimslow:
View attachment 142826
The Rates Books indicate he rented it from a William Bickley.
View attachment 142826
View attachment 142826
i wonder whether it was Winslow or Wimslow as two clips have it spelt differently

Hi no as my post just said ...two doors down has a sunnyside plaque

Is that because sunny side is the last of the Victorian houses and there was nothing else built then after that one before Baldwin’s lane
I would think so.
Suspect name is Wimslow as that is how it was spelt in 1911 by the occupier.
Before then it is harder to trace as it wasn't part of Birmingham. I have had a quick look at 1901 census but difficult as there is no name to go on.

I would think so.
Suspect name is Wimslow as that is how it was spelt in 1911 by the occupier.
Before then it is harder to trace as it wasn't part of Birmingham. I have had a quick look at 1901 census but difficult as there is no name to go on.
im going to go with Wimslow ..thankyou for finding this out ....why wasn't it part of Bham and why do you think it didn't have a name in 1901 ?

Sorry - my fault for not making it clear - I meant name of an occupier. You can't easily search 1901 census by address only. It may be your house was built (like my own house) just after that census as on Mike's first map the red marker is in a space but the house appears on the 1904 map. I will try to look more. The house would be classed as Victorian if it was being built in 1901 (so missing the census) but finished later.
Parts of Moseley and Hall Green historically came under Worcestershire. I need to try to find out when it became part of Birmingham. I will be at Hall Green library tomorrow and will see if their local history section has any answers.

On the 1901 census it seems to be called Primrose Road and there is only one entry. Will investigate further

Last edited:
Alan
Yes - but no houses on it in 1884. In 1901 the only "primrose" in the hamlet of Robin Hood Solihull I can find at the moment is Primrose Road with one house listed. It follows houses in Robin Hood Lane so I am fairly certain it is the right place. Interesting the next road is Scribners Lane - wonder if that is mis-spelt or if correct when it became Scribers Lane? What do you think?
1584026182664.png

Interesting observation Janice.
As a youngster, leaving your area when sixteen, names either had a significance or were just something unfathomable and I cannot recall attempting to translate some of them , no matter how odd they sounded. That came with adulthood. :grinning:
I can accept the earlier - maybe original and correct name of Scribner - as it is a derivation of Norman French 'scrivenor', I gather. This, I feel, is supported by the existence of Colebrook Priory where Scribers Lane led. As you know, religious houses were often the places of education and its incumbents mostly literate.
There are I suppose numerous instances - often recorded here on BHF - where perceived names and spelling have resulted in changes.
Friends in America have some wonderful name changes applied by those clerks in immigration at Ellis Island. :oops:

Last edited:
Back