• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Primrose Lane , Hall Green .

changinman1

master brummie
Ive had a quick look around here but cant find much or anything on the above street, iv just bought a property there and wanted to learn about its history of street and hopefully the house as its victorian built .

If you give the address, then we may be able to find some information for you

If you visit Hall Green library they have quite a few books about the history of Hall Green. I also think there is a local history society which meets there.

Primrose Lane was a quiet road back in the 1940' and 50's. It was an easier way (by bicycle) to reach Robin Hood Lane from Baldwins Lane. The adjacent Keddlestone Road was a little hilly although the 29A (later 90) bus used it. I recall buses using Primrose Lane on a couple of occasions but I believe it was road repairs rather than wartime causes.

Phil
The title of the photo says Robin Hood Lane at Primrose Lane. To me that would mean that the view is looking down Robin Hood Lane. Am I wrong?

In 1911 the houses had names not numbers so locating the exact property might prove tricky. I assume Sunnyside is nearest Baldwin's Lane. I also think there were 2 othe unnamed properties listed on a nother page. Do any of the houses still have names by any chance? At that time the property was in Yardley.

1583761482720.png

Last edited:
Mike

Sorry but I didn't bother looking too deeply into the exact location of the photo, but I now believe it is the junction of Robin Hood Lane at Primrose Lane and the houses are on the junction of Primrose Lane.

In 1911 the houses had names not numbers so locating the exact property might prove tricky. I assume Sunnyside is nearest Baldwin's Lane. I also think there were 2 othe unnamed properties listed on a nother page. Do any of the houses still have names by any chance? At that time the property was in Yardley.

View attachment 142711
its quite a long road isn't it ....I don't think any have the original names but as soon as I complete ill get the deeds looked at and see what I can find out ...

I drive down it quite often so perhaps I will go more slowly next time and see what I can spot. I have found via e rolls that the Vale Family lived there either side of WW2 but by then the house was numbered.

I drive down it quite often so perhaps I will go more slowly next time and see what I can spot. I have found via e rolls that the Vale Family lived there either side of WW2 but by then the house was numbered.
oooh what at NO38 ....?? what is erolls ?

id be really grastefull if you could suss out if you can see any house names that correlate to numbers ...thanks

Sorry erolls are the electoral rolls. None exist during the war years (WW1 or WW2) but you can only search by name so it makes it a bit tricky. Also only certain years are on Ancestry. All are available at the library in Birmingham and in the paper versions you can search by address.

Attachments

• 1935 eroll.JPG
    1935 eroll.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 1945 eroll.JPG
    1945 eroll.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 10
Some e-rolls are also available at http://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org/, though you need a sub or credits to view.
For 38 Primrose Lane:
1922 John Cotton
1925 John & Harriett Johnson & Richard Ernest Sadlier & Clara Sadlier
1930 Edith Alice & Herbert William Vale
1935, 1939,1945 and 1947 Edith Alice, Florence Edith & Herbert William Vale
1950 Edith Alice, Florence Edith, Alfred G.R. & Herbert William Vale
1952 Edith A Vale
1955 Edith Vale & Edna & Robert Browning
1957, 1962 & 1965 Edith A Vale

Back