• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Price, WW1 photo - Help?!

illumina3

knowlegable brummie
If anyone could help with this I'd be incredibly grateful.

This is my great-grandfather, Harry Price, in his uniform, taken in France in about 1915 or 1916 (so I'm told). The back of the postcard confirms it was French, but there's no stamp or postmark. It was sent to his sister in Rugby.

He was living at 55 William Street, Aston Manor in 1911 and 1912, and was married with 3 children before the war (another one came afterwards).

I can't find his service records on Ancestry at all, so can anyone identify the regiment he served in, or tell me anything about what the uniform might signify? Family tales say that he worked with the horses, as he didn't want to kill.

TIA
Joss

Not many recrds survived and I can only see the service papers of two soldiers called Harry Price, one born 1895 and the other 1885 who gave his address as 52 Phillip Street, Aston Birmingham in the ASC

Yep, that's exactly the problem. There are quite a few medal roll cards that could apply to him, but without even knowing what regiment he was in...

Could be the cap badge of the Royal Army Medical Corp.That would also fit in with his reluctance to kill,I believe they were treated badly,so medals may not have been issued.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I've already had a look at the Great War forum - I've been posting this photo all over the place in attempts to get some info! The shape of his cap badge does look like the RAMC one... but I've found it also looks like the Army Veterinary Corps one, which would fit in with the horse story (and the spurs, thanks John Houghton, hadn't noticed those!) - shown here: https://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36542

Chances are it's one of those I think... I just wonder if there's any way to find out now.

Just found a Henry Price at 55 William Street Lozells 1918 25993, Pte, AVC

Suzanne

And this 1919 55 back of 59 William Street - Henry Price - 25993, Pfcs., 23 Vet. Hos., A.V.C.

That must be him!! He was always down as Harry, even on birth and marriage certs, but maybe the Army assumed it was a nickname! Wow, thanks Suzanne - do you know if the records are on Ancestry... where did you find that?!

Hi
Yes I thought it might be him:)
Found them on the eletoral rolls online. www.midlandshistoricaldata.org
Had a quick look on Ancestry under just reg number but no luck I'm afraid:( Maybe a more concerted effort through the army records may throw something up?

Suzanne

His Medal Card is on Ancestry. Harry Price A.V.C Pte SE25993
Victory Medal & British Medal RAVC/101.B.13 page 676
Afraid I can't copy it onto here though someone else may be able to:)

Suzanne

Yes, deffo worked with horses, or mules ... he's carrying a mule 'switch' and not a swagger-stick.

RAVC used to be stationed at "Ambrosden" in oxfordshire in the 70's I am sure the army war dogs for Ireland came from there but may be wrong as the old memorie is a bit rusty now but they may well be able to tell his unit, as JohnO says he is holding a Mule/Carragehorse switch which may mean he was deployed with some transport corps.
paul

Back