• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pretoria Road, Bordesley Green

You're welcome, geofred, and at least that's two more transcription errors on the census that will get sorted - BATES was transcribed as BETES in 1901. :)

Maurice :cool:

I realise that you posted this request some time ago but have just come across this photograph taken in Pretoria Road. Looking at the decorations and the fact that my Uncle is there, aged about 10 years, I think it may have been the 1936 Coronation of King George VI. My family (Daniels) lived there before moving to Ralph Road. Sue.

Attachments

• Pretoria Road B'ham.jpg
    Pretoria Road B'ham.jpg
    816.2 KB · Views: 49
I was born in 116 Pretoria Rd 1942, Some of the houses (about 4) on the other side of the road were bombed in 1941, and as a young child me and my sister and other children used to play in the bombed buildings. The houses were rebuilt 1949-50 and now standout like a sore thumb from the original Edwardian terraced houses, they are towards the Bordesley Rd end.

My husband was born(1944) at 153 Pretoria Road about four doors up from where the houses were bombed. He had several friends on your side of the road...We also had friends at 145, one of the rebuilt houses, and you're right, the Edwardian houses were far more attractive.

When I was a youngster late 50's , I was in St John's Ambulance Brigade , our CO lived on Pretoria Rd . We were invited for tea on some Sunday's where his Mother used to lay on some great afternnon teas

Sunday afternoon tea, for many homes, was grand occasion which was usually a total contrast to Sunday Lunch(eon).
A cold collation of meat(s) or cheeses with green salad, tomatoes; cucumber and beetroot - frequently steeped in vinegar. Fruit followed usually, with cream or tinned milk and lastly the best of all, cakes.
Sunday was a very special day for many, nowadays all days seem to be considered the same particularly with shops open most of the day.

Sunday afternoon tea, for many homes, was grand occasion which was usually a total contrast to Sunday Lunch(eon).
A cold collation of meat(s) or cheeses with green salad, tomatoes; cucumber and beetroot - frequently steeped in vinegar. Fruit followed usually, with cream or tinned milk and lastly the best of all, cakes.
Sunday was a very special day for many, nowadays all days seem to be considered the same particularly with shops open most of the day.

I agree with everything you say Rr

My first true love lived in Pretoria rd. ,just past the off licence about halfway down the road, we swore our undying love,
after about 5 weeks she dumped me for a guy from the rosary school.
Hey oh, that's what happens when you are a romantic 11 year old. :sob:

My first true love lived in Pretoria rd. ,just past the off licence about halfway down the road, we swore our undying love,
after about 5 weeks she dumped me for a guy from the rosary school.
Hey oh, that's what happens when you are a romantic 11 year old. :sob:

ahh bless:heart_eyes:

lyn

Hi all, Just found this. Interesting that the photo says it's Saltley, when I was growing up it was definitely Bordesley Green! I did a search for Pretoria Rd in the 1911 census and found the house I lived in when very young. (No 72) Again interestingly under place of birth it gives the exact street!

Welcome to the Forum, VinceBrum. I'm sure you will find lots to interest you on here.

Vince,

That's because you have only posted 4 messages in that time. Those status messages are dependant upon the number of posts you make, though you can alter them in your profile as mine is Ex-Pat Brummie. It's no real problem. It just enables other member to note how active you are and if you might require help with some of the Forum functions.

Back