• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Preserving BMDs & other docs

Millie

master brummie
Hi Chaps & chapesses,
Help please! I wonder if anybody's got any good ideas for storing/preserving printed docs. (besides putting them onto the hard drive, which I'll do as well - one day!)

I've got loads of BMDs and some original stuff that I inherited from my parents, & up to now I've kept these in those plastic wallets that can be put in a binder. They're the ordinary ones, coz the acid-free type are a bit too expensive for me - like I said, I've got loads of stuff - so I file them in between pieces of plain paper, to stop the print from sticking to the plastic. I like to ha ve things on paper as well, so that I can easily sit & compare this with that, or whagtever, but - ass you can imagine, it's a bit of a faff to take them out every time I want to look at something :( Also, I read somewhere that the print fades over time, so they're likely to just disappear into the print graveyard in the next few years - or, probably stick to the paper instead of the plastic :(:(

Anyway, I'm wondering whether it would be OK to laminate the certs (I've got a small do-it-yourself laminator but never dared to try it yet) Would this protect the print from fading? Has anybody done anything similar, or would I just ruin all my precious papers forever.

Any suggestions folks ??

Millie

Thanks for posting that Millie i have a lot of stuff as well so would be interested on what the members come up with

Just been on another site - and found the answer, MaggieUK

- seems that laminators are not a good idea for valuable / rare docs. There's a danger that the heat and chemicals in the laminating process could damage the originals. :(

So we come back to the acid-free pockets as the suggested storage, in a cool place away from direct sunlight. So there we go - back to raiding the piggy bank

Millie :)

Millie. I got mine from Arrowfile. They keep having special offers, I paid 1new penny for thr a4 leather album had to spend ( I think ) £10.00 on refills. another offer that comes regularly is post free thats worth saving you pennies to wait for.

Back