• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Presents for the teacher

farmerdave

master brummie
Saw this sign today outside a shop in Surrey, advertising presents for school teachers. I have to admit that when I left Camp Hill GS in 1961 that I did buy book tokens for the Maths, Physics and Chemistry teachers. They had guided me successfully through "A" levels and I wanted to show my appreciation. Not sure that I would recommend it every year but perhaps OK for school leavers? Dave.

P1020420 (2).JPG

Have to say it's something that would never have occurred to me or my peers leaving school in the 1970s. Today it's quite different of course. I think our seeming indifference to giving gifts to teachers at the end of term had more to do with the general fear of teachers and a perception that they were, on the whole, pretty unapproachable creatures. I'm talking about a girls' grammar school. Wonder, though, if it was different in different schools. Viv.

I left school in 1968 and I didn't buy presents. I did pluck up courage to ask for a few autographs and that seemed to "break the ice"!!!
I didn't buy any for my son's teachers either.
rosie.

Hi All.

It is fair enough to contribute towards a present for a teacher who is retiring but giving a gift to a teacher on your leaving school is a NO NO NO in my opinion..

Old Boy

I certainly never would have thought of giving presents to teachers, and would be a bit suspicious of the idea as being an american import, a bit like the awful prom idea. however, in 1968 I shared a flat with welsh teacher who was on his first real job in a school, somewhere in Aston (can't remember which), and one of the parents presented him with a half bottle of whiskey at the end of the year

Kober, Fryer & Budd?
You've got 2 out of 3. "Froggy" Fryer for Physics, "Charlie" Budd for Chemistry and the third was "Dan" Matthews for Maths. The latter was a new teacher who only joined in 1959. I did have "Spud" Kober,"Polly" Bates and "Pop" Epsley for Maths in earlier years. Dave

Back