• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Prescott Street All Saints

Dan, if you know where to look. you can see where Prescott St was
Dan, if you know where to look you can see where Prescott St was.
All the old houses have all gone but where Prescott was its is now Knighstone Av and Capstone Av.

I have shown a number people where Prescott St was. If you look up "Reel street, Cathy come home" you will find some then and now photos.

Hope this is helpful.

Nick S Phillips

Dan, if you know where to look you can see where Prescott St was.
All the old houses have all gone but where Prescott was its is now Knighstone Av and Capstone Av.

I have shown a number people where Prescott St was. If you look up "Reel street, Cathy come home" you will find some then and now photos.

Hope this is helpful.

Nick S Phillips
Thanks Nick. My relatives on my mother’s side The Jauncey’s lived on Prescott street around no. 91 in the late 1800s.

My Nan Doris May Owen lived on Prescott Street. At the time of her marriage to Joseph Harris her residence was stated as 3, Back 117, Prescott Street, Brookfields, Birmingham. They got married in 1935. I remember visiting the house before they were knocked down and Nan moved to Great Barr.

My Nan Doris May Owen lived on Prescott Street. At the time of her marriage to Joseph Harris her residence was stated as 3, Back 117, Prescott Street, Brookfields, Birmingham. They got married in 1935. I remember visiting the house before they were knocked down and Nan moved to Great Barr.

hi boatwoman have you looked at the photos i have posted on this thread closely as many contain people in them..who knows maybe you nan could be in one of them...

lyn

If you go to page one (1) you will find a few photos and a map of Prescott St, Part of Prescott still there but its now called Knightstone Ave and Capstone Ave.
If you look up "Reel Street" - Cathy come home, you can find a shot of Prescott St.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️ .

If you go to page one (1) you will find a few photos and a map of Prescott St, Part of Prescott still there but its now called Knightstone Ave and Capstone Ave.
If you look up "Reel Street" - Cathy come home, you can find a shot of Prescott St.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️ .
Hi Nick. The photos are amazing and it bought back memories of visiting my Nan and going up the entry to the back of her house. I remember the house, it was basically a two up to down, with the toilet at the bottom of the yard. Nan painted stones to line the path to the toilet, so we could see in the dark the line of the path. The old tin bath used to hang on the wall outside of the back door. It was a dark and damp old house, but she loved it there. They moved her to Richmond Croft, Great Barr, Birmingham, into a new house and she hated it there.

Hi Nick. The photos are amazing and it bought back memories of visiting my Nan and going up the entry to the back of her house. I remember the house, it was basically a two up to down, with the toilet at the bottom of the yard. Nan painted stones to line the path to the toilet, so we could see in the dark the line of the path. The old tin bath used to hang on the wall outside of the back door. It was a dark and damp old house, but she loved it there. They moved her to Richmond Croft, Great Barr, Birmingham, into a new house and she hated it there.
Hi ____, pleased the photos brought back some memories, I still occasionally go and check on the area. I think it was a great pity they knocked down all the old houses, with some modification they could have made some great accommodation.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️.

Hi ____, pleased the photos brought back some memories, I still occasionally go and check on the area. I think it was a great pity they knocked down all the old houses, with some modification they could have made some great accommodation.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️.
Hi Nick. Now I maybe remembering it wrong, but was the old Aston Villa Football ground nearby?

Hi Nick. Now I maybe remembering it wrong, but was the old Aston Villa Football ground nearby?
Hi_____, back then if you went to a football game you would pay cash at the gate, my brother ( five years older then I ) on Saturdays we would often go to a game, we did not mind if it was :- Aston Villa, West Brom or B'ham City, we were back street kids so walked using a bus was to expensive and you would never ever think of using a bus.
Aston Villa was around three (3) mile walk.

We went to Handsworth new road school, walking home after school with one Old penny in our pockets.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️.

Last edited:
Hi_____, back then if you went to a football game you would pay cash at the gate, my brother ( five years older then I ) on Saturdays we would often go to a game, we did not mind if it was :- Aston Villa, West Brom or B'ham City, we were back street kids so walked using a bus was to expensive and you would never even think of using a bus.
Aston Villa was around three (3) mile walk.

We went to Handsworth new road school, walking home after schoolwas a Old penny in our pockets.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️.
For some reason I got it into my head their ground was at the bottom of my Nan's road :). My mum went to Handsworth New Road Girls School.

For some reason I got it into my head their ground was at the bottom of my Nan's road :). My mum went to Handsworth New Road Girls School.
Aston Villa, have been at present area since 1874, they moved, (not sure where from) but a very short distance

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️ .

Last edited:
My grandparents had a house on Prescott Street, Fred and Edith Stokes. My nan got TB so my mum had to go and live with her cousin on Irving Street. My nan eventually spent time in the sanitorium at Romsley. Apparently my granddad fought hard to get a house 'in the country' which at that time was Shard End.

Back