• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Prepared.

Ray Barrett

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN R.I.P.
Having a mooch down my dad's house I came across these old,booklets and leaflets.Felt sure they would be of interest to some of the history buffs.
They prove to me that Neville Chamberlin,didn't waste his last year in office,he organised this plus evacuation and rationing.
To me Neville Chamberlin...was a great Brummy.

Blimey, it scares me reading them now. It must have been very worrying for the population.

Last edited:
wonderful collection of booklets ray....as froth says it must have been so frighening....those of us who didnt live through the wars dont know the half of it....

cheers

lyn:)

Not a lot seems to have changed Ray other than the fact we no longer carry gas masks and the fact that the government actually gave you money back then and they got a pension and they were able to control their children and you were treated in hospital and the police would help you. Such a shame there were air raids, it all looked so idillic.

wonderful collection of booklets ray....as froth says it must have been so frighening....those of us who didnt live through the wars dont know the half of it....

cheers

lyn:)

If you want a taste Lyn watch the repeat of Blitz: The Bombing Of Coventry, it even opened my eyes an I lived through the Blitz in Brum.

I mentioned it when it was on a few weeks ago

I was nine years old when the war started, I dont remember folk being
worried about the bombs, my Dad had spent four years fighting in France in the Great War, and was wounded three times, in the leg, arm and chest.
He was one the first to join the LDV, which later became the Home Guard,
one of my older brothers upset him when he "Whats that stand for Dad, Look Duck and Vanish. We did have a air raid shelter in the back garden, but
it soon filled with water and was never used. The early 1940s were about
the worst, as I already said on this forum the Coventry raid was a bad one, and it looked as if the whole sky was on fire.
It is good in a way that people are able to tell what it was like on forums
like this, otherwise it would be forgotten, like so much of 20th c: history
cheers Bernard Quote; Tough Times dont last Tough People do. Gregory
Peck 1916/ 2003.

They prove to me that Neville Chamberlin,didn't waste his last year in office,he organised this plus evacuation and rationing.
To me Neville Chamberlin...was a great Brummy.
I agree Ray and there is a school of thought that what Chamberlain did was to buy Britain time to get the war effort under way.

A nice piece of history Ray. Thanks for sharing your collection with us.:)

This reminds me of when I last did a car boot for forum funds, a man showed me a old ration book he had just bought for 50p, it was for a
address in Horninglow Burton on Trent, one I had delivered to many times.
this seems to be where old wartime stuff finishises up, at that sort of price.. I agree about Neville Chamberlain, but he was not cut out to be a wartime leader like Winston, the whole family did a great deal for Brum, but he must already have been a sick man because he didnt last long after. cheers Bernard

Many years ago, not long after we moved to Derby we went to a "40s
Night Dance with Anne Shelton and the Stapleford Big Band. Enid
said,"There are lots of old ARP uniforms in our basement at work, why dont you go as a Air Raid Warden.Everyone in uniform had to
go up on the stage. Anyway I won second prize which was a Radio
Derby tie and a big sloppy kiss off Anne!While we were sorting thru
ARP stuff we found a sleeve badge with I.C.D.S., anyone know what the letters stood for? Bernardlong service dinner634.jpg

Tinymac's post has reminded us of the existence of this thread. (Welcome to the Forum, tinymac).

Any chance, Ray Barrett, of reposting the images of your booklets which were lost during the hacking disaster some time ago, please? I'm sure that they will be of interest to many members and it is a great pity that they have disappeared.

Chris

Back