• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Preparations for war in Birmingham

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
During discussions on the air raid shelter thread it was mentioned that preparations for war were made well before war started in 1939. However, this newspaper clipping has really taken me by surprise. Air raid plans were under consideration over 4 years before the start of WW2. Viv.

3B5D7D9D-53F2-41FC-A0D1-E89C915F7C82.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

An interesting document Mike. It covers a lot of information about the different ARP structures. I shall add a link to the air raid shelter thread.

Early on in the document it tells us this :53F55B17-401A-47D0-A100-8973741AC15A.jpeg

But it took the passing of the Air Raid Precautions Act in January 1938 for more serious, universal action to be taken by making local authorities legally responsible for air raid services in their areas. I suppose some of the more perceptive local authorities would have got ahead of the game by bringing in structural precautions early, while others dragged their feet until there was a compulsory requirement.

Viv.

Back