• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Premises History

JO HEALING

Brummie babby
My parents used to run the premise on the corner of Stretton Road and Rocky Lane in the early sixties.
It was a cafe called The Little Spoon.
From basic research I have gleaned that it was also a cafe owned by other owners,, a paper shop and other type of business,,maybe hardware,,not sure.
Both of my parents died suddenly and I have a small family so there is no-one I can ask about this.
Does ANYONE have any knowledge or history or memories of this business,,whether from the sixties or from later,,,or earlier.
I just want to be able to tell my children something about it.
Ultimately,,with some work,,I would love to somehow find a picture of it.
It was exactly opposite Tubes Limited.
Thanks so much for looking

My parents used to run the premise on the corner of Stretton Road and Rocky Lane in the early sixties.
It was a cafe called The Little Spoon.
From basic research I have gleaned that it was also a cafe owned by other owners,, a paper shop and other type of business,,maybe hardware,,not sure.
Both of my parents died suddenly and I have a small family so there is no-one I can ask about this.
Does ANYONE have any knowledge or history or memories of this business,,whether from the sixties or from later,,,or earlier.
I just want to be able to tell my children something about it.
Ultimately,,with some work,,I would love to somehow find a picture of it.
It was exactly opposite Tubes Limited.
Thanks so much for looking
Welcome Jo.
I lived in Stretton Road from my marriage in March 1950 until November 1954. Throughout that time it was a paper shop
Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

the cafe came later after the paper shop had ceased trading it must have been about two or three years late
fifty seven / fifty eight period we left lichfield road in 1958 it was then already a cafe by then
Astonian;;;;;;

In the 1970's I sold chemicals and additives to the metals industry, and made a couple of visits to Tubes Ltd. During one of these visits it was early morning and the chap I met asked me if I'd like a bacon buttie. Not 'arf! He sent someone over the road to 'the caff', who came back with a couple of lovely bacon doorsteps, which we ate outside in the sunshine. So I'm assuming that the butties came from the cafe on Stretton Road.

G

In the 1970's I sold chemicals and additives to the metals industry, and made a couple of visits to Tubes Ltd. During one of these visits it was early morning and the chap I met asked me if I'd like a bacon buttie. Not 'arf! He sent someone over the road to 'the caff', who came back with a couple of lovely bacon doorsteps, which we ate outside in the sunshine. So I'm assuming that the butties came from the cafe on Stretton Road.

G

never turn down a bacon buttie G:)

hi jo you can show your children this one....rocky lane running down...your parents shop is the one on the right corner looking down stretton road.. the lady walking is just approaching the shop....dated 1955..click to enlarge..all the best

lyn

Aston Rocky Lane 1955 (1).jpg

never turn down a bacon buttie G:)

Not likely! When I worked at Foseco on Long Acre there was a greasy-spoon on the other side of Long Acre known as Greg's Caff. He did a bacon-and-tomato sandwich to die for, far superior to Foseco's canteen! Most mornings at 'breakfast time' there'd be an exodus across the road to Greg's. He must have retired wealthy....

Hi yes Lynn
I Can recall that cafe on long acre across the road from foscos, used to go in there myself for brekkies
good food always
i used to go there many years ago andthe lady a the time was an irish lady at that time
and i used to have a regulardiscussion about ireland and she always went on about the now late
ian paisley and telling me his history especialy when he was on the daily news the night before
i used to clean windows for the old shilling
before they moved in fosco,s the building used to be a big block and old flights coaches
to owned itfor international business and travel
and there great , great grand father built the business up to muliti national
from victoria road from and old little work shop garage but prior to that he was an a rag and bone man
whom made afew bob and set up a car repair busines on victoria road aston and extented to berners street many many years later
for his coaches to be stored and serviced and washed and cleaned
best wishes Alan, Astonian;;;;;

Back