• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Premier Motor company. Dartmouth Street-Aston Road.

Tony Beasley

proper brummie kid
My name is Tony Beasley, i started an apprenticeship their in 1957 for 5yrs. I made some friends also doing the same job. They were Derek Hardman, Roy Ansell, Bobby Kyte, Dave Kerr. and others i have forgotten. Does anyone out there remember?.

Hello Tony I worked with you at the Premier My name is Clive Palmer an apprentice younger than yourself,do you remember Gary Hill, Stepto,and Alf Martin the foreman
I was there untill the end and went to Patrick Motors Olton
Hope you are well,it would be nice to meet up

Hi Clive. What a surprise to have a reply from you. I left premier to go and work at George Masons the grocers on fleet maintenance in Birchall St, Digbeth for a few years with a Jim Williams who worked at Premier and left before i did to take up the post of service manager there. I remember Alf Martin who's job was taken over by Freddy Wakelin i think. I retired from being self employed in about 2000, and moved from Great Barr to Oswestry in shropshire. Yes i am well and keeping very busy with caravan holidays etc. I quite often get to brum to see family and friends, so perhaps to meet up would be good. Or if you are my way call in. Regards Tony.

Thank you Lyn for that info, i have removed my address.

hi tony better safe than sorry but i can still your email address ....its ok i will do it for you just send a private message to clive giving him your address

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn. I havn't heard from Clive, is it because i did not reply a private e-mail to him?. I am not sure about how to do this, could you advise please. Many thanks. Tony Beasley.

hi tony go to the top left of the main page and click on where it says private messages...

lyn

A couple of memory jerkers for you guys although the one could be a little before your time, but what wonderful cars on display in the showroom.

Attachments

• Aston Aston Rd Premier Cars.jpg
    Aston Aston Rd Premier Cars.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Aston Aston Rd .Premier Car Sales c1960.jpg
    Aston Aston Rd .Premier Car Sales c1960.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 72
Thank you Phil, i remember the photo on the right of the old Aston Rd corner with Dartmouth St. I served my apprenticeship there. Its all so very different now. Regards Tony Beasley.

Hello, Folks. I came across this forum whilst researching the history of a 650cc Panther motorcycle that I'm restoring. It was sold new by The Premier Motor Company in November 1961. If anyone has any pictures or memories of the motorcycle side of the business I'd love to know. The signature of the dealer on the old log book looks like either S P Russell or it could be S P Linwell - does that ring any bells out there?
The bike now lives up in East Yorkshire having been rescued from a dilapidated lock-up garage where the previous owner had abandoned it some 11 years ago.

Regards. Steve

Hi Phil,
I remember the Premier Motor showroom very well. I used to pass with my father when he went to the wood centre
opposite. When we passed the one time they had a Austin a40 somerset pedal car on show. I asked my Dad if I could
have one for christmas. Hope of Hope my one disappointment when on christmas day there was no Austin but a twin
pram with twin dolls. In later years my dream came true when the young man I was courting purchased one.Happy days.
From Shirley born and bred birmingham girl.

Hi
I came across this forum whilst looking into the history of my Austin A40 Farina Mark 1, which was sold by Premier Motor Co. Back in December 1959.
I’m trying to get the DVLA to allow me the original registration, however, as I don’t have the logbook (long gone), I’m struggling to work out how to prove the registration belongs to the car. I don’t suppose anyone knows whether the sales records were kept by anyone (a final shot in the dark!)?
I must say, I really enjoyed looking at all the photos of Birmingham from days gone by….

Peter

Hi,

I have a similar problem to Peter. I have a Velocette motorcycle that I am about to restore but I have lost the V5c - which was in my name and there are no number plates with the collection of bits that I have. DVLA cannot issue a replacement based on only a frame number without the registration number.

The bike was originally sold by Premier Motors (information from the Velocette factory records) in December 1965 to a Mr Childs and then first registered in January 1996.

Does anyone know if the records for Premier Motors from this time still exist? If so, where they are?

Thanks

Richard Johns

Hello Tony I worked with you at the Premier My name is Clive Palmer an apprentice younger than yourself,do you remember Gary Hill, Stepto,and Alf Martin the foreman
I was there untill the end and went to Patrick Motors Olton
Hope you are well,it would be nice to meet up
Hello Clive,i was going through some history on premier motors of aston in birmingham and wondering if the company was still there.and i come across your name in the letters you exchanged with previous work mates.
I started my apprenticeship at premier motors in 1965 and you was working there.I do remember people that worked there like, Dave Kerr,Alf (toucan hooter) Martin and the irish twins who i can't remember their names.
And then i followed you to Patrick Motors after that.Cut a long story short i got a job with a bus company in wash wood heath birmingham called Metro Camell Wayman in 1980.it meant working away from home every week day
(coming home weekends) and eventually my marriage broke up and i met my future wife in Watford.

The company went bust in 1989 and have been drifting from job to job since and doing hgv driving also.
I am doing some work for a parts company (eurocar parts in Watford) just to keep me busy for a while.
So if you get this message give me a shout, it would be nice to hear from you.

John Nixon.

Hello Clive,i was going through some history on premier motors of aston in birmingham and wondering if the company was still there.and i come across your name in the letters you exchanged with previous work mates.
I started my apprenticeship at premier motors in 1965 and you was working there.I do remember people that worked there like, Dave Kerr,Alf (toucan hooter) Martin and the irish twins who i can't remember their names.
And then i followed you to Patrick Motors after that.Cut a long story short i got a job with a bus company in wash wood heath birmingham called Metro Camell Wayman in 1980.it meant working away from home every week day
(coming home weekends) and eventually my marriage broke up and i met my future wife in Watford.

The company went bust in 1989 and have been drifting from job to job since and doing hgv driving also.
I am doing some work for a parts company (eurocar parts in Watford) just to keep me busy for a while.

John Nixoni

John Nixon.
My name is Allan Whyman, I worked at Premier, 1964 - 1965, I had a Raleigh Moped which I bought from next door bike shop. Fred Williams and Maurice were the mechanics I worked with. Mick Breeze, another name, I remember Steptoe, used to go out with our girlfriends for a drink, I remember Alf, and also the greaser named Alf. There was a lad named Pete, nicknamed Ginger, he worked for Colliers later in Erdington, where I also worked. I left and went to Colmore Depot in Cherrywood Road.

Back