• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Prefabs

Lived in one spacious should start building them again.
Ted's had a fridge, washing machine and bathroom. He kept it cosy and had only to turn his electric fire on. By contrast we lived in a two up-two down terrace with coal fires, an outside toilet and a meat safe and a combined kitchen bathroom until 1970s. Of course 413 is made af asbestos cement, perfectly safe as long as you don'r cut holes in it. Insulation would be difficult preserving the integrity of the building, but perhaps could line the inside. Bringing a prefab up to current standards could be challenging. But many students design cheap contemporary housing, it is just that the land to build them on costs more than the build cost.

Yes, there are several types using different construction materials. Some owners did diy, but 413 was generally in its original state when my relative lived there.
Derek

A relative of my father Ted Francis, lived in 413 Wake Green Road Moseley. I visited him into the 1980s. His prefab was renovated and I understand a lady lived there subsequently. It is an unusual design with many original features. These prefabs are grade two listed (not that this will protect them) They were open to the public on heritage days in 2016. Are any of them lived in now? I was last there a couple of years ago, but the condition of unoccupied buildings change rapidly.
https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101022576-413-wake-green-road-springfield-ward

https://c20society.org.uk/c20-regions/event-birmingham-prefabs

The Prefab museum is on-line, but a fund of information.

You can go inside a prefab at Avoncroft Museum of Buildings near Bromsgrove.

I hope some at least in Wake Green can be saved. Ted's had a fitted kitchen and was all electric. He lived there for many years with his cat.

I see from the Feb Mail article that some are still lived in.
That is one that was on Moat Lane it is the next door one to the Howells that their daughter June was my first girlfriend

There was a small estate of prefabs on Hobmoor Road just up from Wash Lane they backed onto Oakland’s rec, the estate and the frontages were always immaculate.
My wife remembers the Wash Lane prefabs. Her family lived in Hobmoor Road. Nationally quite a few prefabs have survived, but I think only the Wake Green Road ones in Moseley are still in Birmingham - and these may be under threat.

My wife remembers the Wash Lane prefabs. Her family lived in Hobmoor Road. Nationally quite a few prefabs have survived, but I think only the Wake Green Road ones in Moseley are still in Birmingham - and these may be under threat.
The story of Prefabs has some irony to it, Prefabs came about as a result of the Burt report in 1942 to resolve both homes and shortage of skilled labour after WW2 , the intention being they would be a ‘short term’ solution to housing . Yet up-to the 80’ s there was still a good number about and still functional .

Fabulous photo of the Weoley Castle prefabs, takes me back to my youth. Square club, scouts on the square and schooled at Ilmington. Great photo

The story of Prefabs has some irony to it, Prefabs came about as a result of the Burt report in 1942 to resolve both homes and shortage of skilled labour after WW2 , the intention being they would be a ‘short term’ solution to housing . Yet up-to the 80’ s there was still a good number about and still functional .
My aunt lived in a Prefab in correct me if i am wrong but i think it was Lenton Croft just off Clay Lane Yardley.

Not sure what happening but 3 or 4 of the Wake Green Road prefabs which were looking very sad have had their gardens cleared and are surrounded by metal security fencing.
Others lived in and looking good but others looking in a sad state.
Will try to get photo when I am that way later this week.

Not sure what happening but 3 or 4 of the Wake Green Road prefabs which were looking very sad have had their gardens cleared and are surrounded by metal security fencing.
Others lived in and looking good but others looking in a sad state.
Will try to get photo when I am that way later this week.
oh dear jan...i do hope they are not going to be demolished

lyn

So do I. It was a surprise. Haven't been going that way as there are temporary traffic lights further up causing hold ups but will go for a look this week.

I know the Council and West Midlands Historic Building Trust had been looking at how these building can be preserved, but lack of funds and decision making seems to be getting in the way.

I did put a proposal in where all but two of the prefabs are renovated and then let to elderly or disabled. Then a concierge put in one, with the other being fully restored to its original condition and opened as a museum. The rent revenue would have covered the concierge and museum costs.

Back