• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Prefabs

I remember walking to my nan's house as a little girl and seeing the prefabs that ran along the edge of Witton Lakes Park (Perry Common Road). Not sure how long they have been gone, but a good number of years I would think

I remember those too, it was quite a large estate of prefabs that extended all the way along Maxted Road to College Road

Are there any tradesmen around who worked for Birmingham City Housing who remember the dilemmas of working on pre fabs or council house modernisations containing asbestos? I'm interested in the the 60' 70's and 80's. If you have asbestosis like my carpenter husband you may be able to help us.

Reading through these posts about Prefabs, makes me realize that they were loved homes, people cared for them with pride, and although old , never wanted to be moved out of them. I have stated before on this thread, that as a boy had many friends who lived in these, (wonderlands), for want of a better metaphor. Fridges, unheard of in this time period for working class, laid out fitted kitchens, also unheard of, bath and inside toilet, integrated heating and fire system, they were like little palaces, they came with an outside shed, and garden back and front, I was quite jealous as a kid they would be an answer for all the homeless ills we suffer from in today's society. Paul

Off on a bit of a tangent here with nothing to do with the technicalities of prefabs.. I went to school with a mate who lived in a prefab somewhere on the No 17 route (Hobs Moor Rd?) As I lived in a flat on the Coventry Rd in Small Heath, his detached home with beautiful gardens front and back seemed a real step up from where I was living.

Hi All,
Has anyone got a photo of the Queslett Road prefabs that were opposite the Trees pub?
There is a 'Prefabs' thread with 400 posts on the forum so if you moved your post to that thread someone with an interest in prefabs might respond.
I'm about to post an aerial view of possible prefabs opposite the Trees Pub in the Prefabs thread but have not seen a street level view of them.

Edit. Post now moved to this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading through these posts about Prefabs, makes me realize that they were loved homes, people cared for them with pride, and although old , never wanted to be moved out of them. I have stated before on this thread, that as a boy had many friends who lived in these, (wonderlands), for want of a better metaphor. Fridges, unheard of in this time period for working class, laid out fitted kitchens, also unheard of, bath and inside toilet, integrated heating and fire system, they were like little palaces, they came with an outside shed, and garden back and front, I was quite jealous as a kid they would be an answer for all the homeless ills we suffer from in today's society. Paul
That's all so true - the aunt I mentioned in another post was incredibly houseproud and I remember her and my uncle's Prefab as quite posh and modern, certainy compared to where we lived.

Hello all. Thrilled to find this thread, and particularly the photos of the prefab estate in Olton, Solihull bordered by Castle Lane, Highwood Avenue, Rodney Road and Faulkner Road.
I lived in Bluebell Lane, no 6 from memory, from 1946 till about 1953. I agree with all that's been written above - they were full of mod cons, fridge, cooker, indoor toilet, bathroom.
There was the fitted kitchen with either a fold down table or ironing board (can't remember which, but I'm sure one folded), living room with coal/coke fire, two bedrooms and the bath and toilet. There was a system of central heating fuelled by the fire in the living room, though I remember my father saying it didn't work too well and winters were cold both outdoors and indoors!
A small garden back and front with a shed at the end of a side entry completed the picture.
The estate was a childrens wonderland for play ideas, and across Castle Lane there were the woods and moat for wild games.
On a curve from just into Faulkner Road around and down Castle Lane and round again a short way along Lode Lane were the shops, Nissan style huts. There was Dillon's on Lode Lane, as someone above has noted, selling papers, sweets and cigs (a lady there was very generous with sweets for me giving more than our ration book allowed. Next door, from memory, was the greengrocers. Moving round into Castle Lane there was a chippie, a cake shop and another shop selling cigs - possibly the one selling toys and other things - because it was there I remember being sent to get 5 Woodies for my Mother. I don't remember any more, but around the corner into Faulkner Road there was a butchers, complete with sawdust, rabbits on hooks etc., a barbers, where I was sent for a medium cut (my Mother didn't like short back and sides), Cassidy the cobbler and lastly an ironmongers.
They were very happy days, and I remember the small pleasures, such as a walk across the fields to Elmdon for picnics. One regret was that although there are grainy photos from the time showing bits of the prefab, there wasn't one showing the complete thing. I've attached a few that give an impression.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 24
Hello all. Thrilled to find this thread, and particularly the photos of the prefab estate in Olton, Solihull bordered by Castle Lane, Highwood Avenue, Rodney Road and Faulkner Road.
I lived in Bluebell Lane, no 6 from memory, from 1946 till about 1953. I agree with all that's been written above - they were full of mod cons, fridge, cooker, indoor toilet, bathroom.
There was the fitted kitchen with either a fold down table or ironing board (can't remember which, but I'm sure one folded), living room with coal/coke fire, two bedrooms and the bath and toilet. There was a system of central heating fuelled by the fire in the living room, though I remember my father saying it didn't work too well and winters were cold both outdoors and indoors!
A small garden back and front with a shed at the end of a side entry completed the picture.
The estate was a childrens wonderland for play ideas, and across Castle Lane there were the woods and moat for wild games.
On a curve from just into Faulkner Road around and down Castle Lane and round again a short way along Lode Lane were the shops, Nissan style huts. There was Dillon's on Lode Lane, as someone above has noted, selling papers, sweets and cigs (a lady there was very generous with sweets for me giving more than our ration book allowed. Next door, from memory, was the greengrocers. Moving round into Castle Lane there was a chippie, a cake shop and another shop selling cigs - possibly the one selling toys and other things - because it was there I remember being sent to get 5 Woodies for my Mother. I don't remember any more, but around the corner into Faulkner Road there was a butchers, complete with sawdust, rabbits on hooks etc., a barbers, where I was sent for a medium cut (my Mother didn't like short back and sides), Cassidy the cobbler and lastly an ironmongers.
They were very happy days, and I remember the small pleasures, such as a walk across the fields to Elmdon for picnics. One regret was that although there are grainy photos from the time showing bits of the prefab, there wasn't one showing the complete thing. I've attached a few that give an impression.
Looking at the middle photo in your post I was interested in the rustic style trellis which your next door neighbour had built at the back of his garden and looked for it on the aerial view in post#218. I seemed to have found it and zooming in I can see that he had built only the framework by the time the aerial view was taken in 1946. So I think your prefab home is the one on the right at the start of Bluebell Lane in photo below. .... :)
No 6 Bluebell Lane.jpg

Looking at the middle photo in your post I was interested in the rustic style trellis which your next door neighbour had built at the back of his garden and looked for it on the aerial view in post#218. I seemed to have found it and zooming in I can see that he had built only the framework by the time the aerial view was taken in 1946. So I think your prefab home is the one on the right at the start of Bluebell Lane in photo below. .... :)
View attachment 153147
Thank you for your reply and the photograph. It's amazing how detailed the photo is as a close up from a much bigger area and I'm really grateful that you took the trouble to post it. Mind, I don't think my mother would have appreciated the aerial photographer taking pics of her washing! And my father would have been horrified with the state of the garden, which in my memory was nicely laid out with flower beds and a lawn. But then in 1946 we must have just moved in because my father was only demobbed in May 1946, so we can cut him some slack :) The lanes look really bare compared to how I remember them, but these were early days.

Thamk you again

They’re an interesting building company, so I’ve started a separate thread about Dares (link below). They also built in London.

Viv.

Brings back a few memories oldMokawk! I was brought up in Knightsbridge Road, off Highwood Avenue, just off the top right corner of your picture. Each walkway through the prefabs was named after a flower or shrub and were in alphabetical order starting, if I remember correctly, with Azalea Lane (I think it was Lane!) the only other one I can remember is Nepeta (Lane). I wonder if there's a map or list of the other names. I remember that on a still day, for some reason the smoke from the chimneys didn't go up into the air but ran down along the roof and into the footpaths or gardens. I don't know if that was the same with all prefabs.
A great memory - I lived in Kimberley Road and my best friend lived in these prefabs at 2 Candytuft Road - I thought they were magical!

A great memory - I lived in Kimberley Road and my best friend lived in these prefabs at 2 Candytuft Road - I thought they were magical!

Brings back a few memories oldMokawk! I was brought up in Knightsbridge Road, off Highwood Avenue, just off the top right corner of your picture. Each walkway through the prefabs was named after a flower or shrub and were in alphabetical order starting, if I remember correctly, with Azalea Lane (I think it was Lane!) the only other one I can remember is Nepeta (Lane). I wonder if there's a map or list of the other names. I remember that on a still day, for some reason the smoke from the chimneys didn't go up into the air but ran down along the roof and into the footpaths or gardens. I don't know if that was the same with all prefabs.
I remember a few of the lanes around Bluebell lane, where I lived up until age 6. In order, from memory -
Azalea Lane
Bluebell Lane
Candytuft Lane
Dianthus Lane
Erica Lane
Foxglove Lane
Gardenia Lane (I think)
Hyacinth Lane
Ivy Lane (Fairly certain)
Jasmine Lane .....that's my memory exhausted!

After we moved from the prefabs, to Kimberley Road, I used to walk past the prefabs down Castle Lane to go to school (Lode Heath, before finally getting a place at Ulverley which was much nearer). I remember going onto the estate at a later date, probably aged 13ish when they were being gradually demolished. I think they were probably gone by about 1960.

Interestingly, as half of my family originated from Scotland, I used to visit quite often and it was like home from home when I stayed with one Aunt and Uncle in Hawick in the Scottish borders because they also lived in a prefab almost identical to ours, as can be seen from the attached photo (not our photo, the children are not related).

Attachments

• Silverbuthall Prefabs.PNG
    Silverbuthall Prefabs.PNG
    435.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Hawick prefabs.PNG
    Hawick prefabs.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
I remember a few of the lanes around Bluebell lane, where I lived up until age 6. In order, from memory -
Well remembered Janet. I've just found a map with them all on:
Your list was all correct except H was Honeysuckle. The rest were
Kingcup
Laburnum
Marigold
Nepeta
Oleander
Primrose
Quince
Rosemary
Snowdrop
Thistle