• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Prefabs

For the record. This is the prefab originally built in Moat Lane in 1946 which now resides at the open air Avoncroft Museum, Bromsgrove. Viv.

View attachment 146324
I understood that Prefabs, built to help with people bombed out during the war. The Howells that lived next door to the one at Avoncroft, may have been just that, June Howell was my age, wonder if she is still alive and well? FIRST LOVE FOR ME!!

I lived in a prefab in Umberslade Rd Selly Oak, there were only ten built there. I often wondered if there was any way I could find out when they were built and what was on the land before they were erected. They were situated between a row of established brick houses. The number of the house prior to the prefabs was 72, the first prefab was 78 and the last prefab was 96. The brick houses then commenced with number with 102. Any help and suggestions would be much appreciated G.

Quite a lot of the land for Prefabs was leased form the parks department and subsequently handed back. Prefabs cost slightly more to build than conventional housing but were much quicker to erect. I cannot remember the exact number, but I think they had a planned ten-year life. Of course, most of them well exceeded this planned life cycle.

The prefabs did lay the foundations to system building and modular construction in a controlled environment.

hi grea...i take it humberslade road is a fairly new road ...when i put it in the scottish maps it comes up as on this part of the map but i cant see a road of that name so maybe the area on the map is where the prefabs were built...knowing the area maybe you can figure it out...link below

lyn

Lyn could it be that you are spelling it with a H and not a U. Umberslade Road is an old established Rd, probably 200 to 120 years old G
1956 map - I assume this shows the 10 prefabs
View attachment 146338

same area in 1937
View attachment 146339
1956 map - I assume this shows the 10 prefabs
View attachment 146338

same area in 1937
That’s brilliant,I wonder what the land was before the prefabs were built

grea i spelt it umberslade on the scottish maps but not on my post will edit..so the map i posted is correct

Not quite 120 years old. Below is a map of the area, with the centre of the prefabs marked by red marker, on a map c1905, probably surveyed about 1903

ScreenHunter 1590.jpg

just compered the 1888 to 1913 scottish maps to jans maps and the area where the prefabs were built is all open fields...just to the right of where the canal is marked..snap mike that is exactly where i put the prefabs

lyn

hi grea...i take it umberslade road is a fairly new road ...when i put it in the scottish maps it comes up as on this part of the map but i cant see a road of that name so maybe the area on the map is where the prefabs were built...knowing the area maybe you can figure it out...link below

lyn

Thank you Lyn, that map is brilliant. It just leaves the puzzle that when they built the houses in Umberslade Rd They started at No2 stopped at No72 then nothing then the houses started again
with No102. Just seems odd unless they anticipated putting more houses there later.

Not quite 120 years old. Below is a map of the area, with the centre of the prefabs marked by red marker, on a map c1905, probably surveyed about 1903

View attachment 146341
Thank you Mike, it just seems strange that not too long ago it was all fields. As I mentioned to Lyn the puzzle remains as to why a big gap was let when building the houses in Umberslade Rd.

No help into why, but an aid to how it was developed. Below is a map (with red marker again in area of prefabs) published 1916, probably surveyed around 1914.
map c 1916 showing where prefabs were in umberslade road.jpg

Quite a lot of the land for Prefabs was leased form the parks department and subsequently handed back. Prefabs cost slightly more to build than conventional housing but were much quicker to erect. I cannot remember the exact number, but I think they had a planned ten-year life. Of course, most of them well exceeded this planned life cycle.

The prefabs did lay the foundations to system building and modular construction in a controlled environment.
I never realised that the land for the prefabs on the Walsall road opposite Perry avenue was leased from the parks department, stands to reason though as it’s on the borders of Perry Barr park.

No help into why, but an aid to how it was developed. Below is a map (with red marker again in area of prefabs) published 1916, probably surveyed around 1914.
View attachment 146342
That’s a great map, thank you. The development does look odd but there must have been a reason.
Only a suggestion: to keep access to the canal open to bring in building supplies for the future (planned?) housing development ? Viv.
Only a suggestion: to keep access to the canal open to bring in building supplies for the future (planned?) housing development ? Viv.
I think you must be right as the Cadbury wharf was just about that location plus it was on the Umberslade road side of the canal, thank you G

For the record. This is the prefab originally built in Moat Lane in 1946 which now resides at the open air Avoncroft Museum, Bromsgrove. Viv.

View attachment 146324
I lived in one exactly the same as that in Selly Park.... 4 Selly Avenue to be eaxct...It just came to me my mom said ours was an Arcon type......she though Canadian but I looked online and found they were an American company....https://www.prefabmuseum.uk/content/history/one-arcon-story

Last edited:
I went out with a young lady who lived in one at 58 Partons Road Kings Heath, I wonder where she is now?

Many happy years growing up in one during the period from 1947 to 1964, moved to house from there with an outdoor loo and a Triplex grate fireplace bit of a cold backwood step and No frig and only three electric sockets.
I lived on the Maypole Kings Norton estate between Druids lane and Bells lane.

My Aunt and Uncle lived in one which was demolished in the 1970s (I think) due to the asbestos used in their construction. They were really sad as they loved this little home, but health comes first. The lived at the bottom of Shard End/Tile Cross.

Many happy years growing up in one during the period from 1947 to 1964, moved to house from there with an outdoor loo and a Triplex grate fireplace bit of a cold backwood step and No frig and only three electric sockets.
I lived on the Maypole Kings Norton estate between Druids lane and Bells lane.
Ah yes, my old paper round !

When and from which newsagents did you do your paper round maypolebaz.
I've worked out that I did the paper round in 1954 - 55, (you were'nt allowed until you were 13). Myself and another kid covered the two rounds on the estate, working from Westwoods, "up the Maypole".

Just wondered, my Mum and Dad ran the newsagents in Monyhull Hall Rd from 1970 to 1984. I think we had rounds serving parts of Druids Heath estate.
A bit after your time maypolebaz.

What a lovely photo. lived in Clements Rd, middle Rd bearing off to the left off Hob Moor Rd if approaching the Yew Tree.
I was born above the newsagents run by my Mum and Dad about half way down in 1949.I can make out the building.
The back garden backed on to the cricket club which can be seen top middle. What wonderful days as i could access the cricket field from a gate at at the bottom of the garden and play with my friends, Mick and John Rasen, are you out there. No kicking a ball in the street for me. How lucky i was but not aware at the time just like living in the countryside. i went to Hobmoor Rd infants school ,i can see it on the LH side of Hobmoor Rd as you approach the Yew Tree. I would have been 1 year old when photo taken. All those years ago, such happy days, where have all the years gone. Oh well makes me feel sad.
Yes I remember the pre fabs.

Back