• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Prefabs

Although prefabs were meant to be a quick fix to the 1940s housing need, there were problems in getting prefab sites ready. Birmingham Mail reported on the problems faced by contractors in finding labourers.

Didn't know prefabs were built on slabs - these were the only foundations ! Viv.

View attachment 123312

Viv a slab is a type of foundation. Slabs as we know them are flagstones. A slab foundation is basically a sold slab of concreter laid down after the ground has been stripped of to the formation layer, or the top soil have been removed. Slabs were normally reinforced and there would have been some method of tying down the prefab to the slab that had to be positioned as the slab was cast. Also the service pipes, soil, waste, water and gas would have to come up through the slab in the correct place. A 'formworker' would have to build the shuttering around the edge of the slab prior to pouring the concrete.

The ones I have marked in Blue were certainly still there in the early 60's (a friend lived in one for a while) although I have a feeling many of the others were demolished earlier. The buildings marked in Red were prefab shops fronting Lode Lane, Castle Lane & Faulkner Road. They were as far as I remember Nissen Huts with the front wall converted to a shop front. There was a chemist (Donnai), a hardware store, a greengrocers and several others. They were demolished long before the prefab houses when the Hobs Moat shops were built.

View attachment 116769

Have wonderful memories of the prefab shops at Hobs Moat, "Hall Green Hardware" had tin baths hanging outside, Chadwicks (not sure what they were now!), a sweet shop/tobacconist (Dillons?) a little post office. Had a friend who lived at 2 Candytuft Rd/Lane off Rodney Road - a blast from the past!

My grandparents lived in a prefab at 235.Reservoir Rd,Erdington.In the rear garden you could see the old Highcroft Hospital.They were there until they moved to a new property in Castle Vale in a complex for the elderly.

I don't know why they don't think up a similar idea to solve the housing shortage especially for young couples just starting out. (Is it me or does anybody else get grumpy when they see these property programmes and people have built up a 'large portfolio' of reasonably priced property, I quite like to watch them but don't like to see youngsters outbidded - back to the topic now).

I don't know why they don't think up a similar idea to solve the housing shortage especially for young couples just starting out. (Is it me or does anybody else get grumpy when they see these property programmes and people have built up a 'large portfolio' of reasonably priced property, I quite like to watch them but don't like to see youngsters outbidded - back to the topic now).
https://totallymodular.co.uk/
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/propert...od-revolution-design-your-own-space-age-fact/

Unfortunately ten house developers build most of the new houses in the UK, why should they build affordable homes when they can make vast profits and pay out shareholder dividends. Recently on CEO was going to be paid £110million as a bonus. John Prescott did try to get developers to build some affordable housing in Milton Keynes. The developers did build some houses for less than £100k, but then sold on for a vast profit. Perhaps we should look at building social housing again, just to get people going.

I think houses these days are status symbols and not really homes

On the topic of prefabs, I lived in one of the Valley prefabs on Billesley Common for 12 years. We loved living there, even though they were very cold in the winter.
Rita did you live at number 845 or 849 Yardley Wood Road? For a brief period around 1959/51 I lived at no 847 with my Mom and Dad and Grandma. Shortly after, mom and dad and I moved to a brand new house in Sheldon but my Gran lived there for many years until her death in 1966. My Aunt and cousin lived there for as long as I can remember and I was a very frequent visitor there at weekends and holidays. I seem to recall the name Hawkins as living next door to them and also the surname Halfpenny seems to ring a bell.
The picture shows my late mom and I at the front door of the prefab.

Attachments

• IMG_20170817_0004.jpg
    IMG_20170817_0004.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 44
Rita did you live at number 845 or 849 Yardley Wood Road? For a brief period around 1959/51 I lived at no 847 with my Mom and Dad and Grandma. Shortly after, mom and dad and I moved to a brand new house in Sheldon but my Gran lived there for many years until her death in 1966. My Aunt and cousin lived there for as long as I can remember and I was a very frequent visitor there at weekends and holidays. I seem to recall the name Hawkins as living next door to them and also the surname Halfpenny seems to ring a bell.
The picture shows my late mom and I at the front door of the prefab.

smashing photo:)

lyn

When I bought my business here in the Forest in 1965 it had only a small lean-to workshop, I was offered one of those prefabs as in the Moat Lane link for £40 if I could dismantle it and transport it away, I bought it and myself and my brother went over to Cheltenham took it down and shipped it back home.

I then got in touch with the council to get permission to set it up as a workshop behind my main building, the planning officer came from Gloucester to have a look and his words were "You won't get permission to put that up here in a hundred years."

It stood in a pile on my site for a few weeks then a farmer from across the road asked if he could buy it, I told him about the planning problems and he said "No bother, I'm a farmer, don't need permission."

He bought it and erected it in his field and it's there to this day.

Kitchen interior of one of the Slade Road, Erdington prefabs. This looks very modern to me for the times these were erected. Viv.

image.jpeg

There is a wealth of information here:
https://www.prefabmuseum.uk/
Inspired by a mid 1920's German idea and further based - hence the modernity in appearance - on American prefabricated buildings it was realized in mid WW2 that there would be a severe housing shortage once the war was over. There must have been some inspired thinking in the UK design, particularly given the shortage of raw materials after the war. I get the impression that few English towns never had any, just the quantity being commensurate with the population.

I remember people saying they boiled Christmas pud in the boiler Grea. Makes complete sense. Viv.

Back