• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Prefabs

Drove past yesterday. One pair of prefabs have a large skip outside and "rubbish" appearing outside. Will try to go past on a working day to see if I can find out what is happening.
thanks jan...nice to have a member close to the action

lyn

Forgot to post these as I took them when the forum was down.
Not a lot to see but rubbish piling up outside one pair and a skip being filled. Also a load of security fencing is now piled up inside the present fencing - perhaps suggesting more prefabs are going tobefenced off.
Did drive past this week and men were working but there wasn't much change from when I took these pics.
It is easier to take pics on a Sunday as in the week the view is often obscured by builders vans.

Attachments

• rubbish.jpg
    rubbish.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Skip.jpg
    Skip.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 19
Drove past on Wednesday (May 31st) - not a lot of change visible except the long grass outside the prefabs (inside the security fence) was being strimmed.

These were the prefabs in Metchley Lane photographed by Phyllis Nicklin in 1966. The view is looking towards Metchley Abbey. The prefabs have long gone.

Viv.

View attachment 181079View attachment 181080
Such a start contrast in building style/structure! Also, when you consider the dire need for housing when prefabs were developed. Many will never know or understand the need.

Janice's link in post #532 listed the work to be done (extract below). Good to see they're replacing original doors and porch with 1940s replicas. Have to say I flinched when I read 'Crittall' windows will also be installed. My experience of these is cold, and frosty windows with rotting and rusting frames. Hopefully the new version is improved ! And they're adding secondary glazing, so that will be better. And nice that picket fences will again be installed. All sounds very promising. Viv

Screenshot_20230627_070516_Chrome.jpg

Wake Green Road update:
Last week all I saw was full skips being removed and replaced with empty ones. This week the empty skips are fillng up. I also saw two workmen carrying something I thought was destined for a skip but ...no. They carried through an open doorway past a no entry sign. Had to laugh as they manoevred it round so it would go in easily. A case of "to me, to you" :D

Attachments

• carrying.jpg
    carrying.jpg
    583.8 KB · Views: 17
  • destination.jpg
    destination.jpg
    545 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Wake Green Road update:
Last week all I saw was full skips being removed and replaced with empty ones. This week the empty skips are fillng up. I also saw two workmen carrying something I thought was destined fr a skip but ...no. They carried through an open doorway past a not entry sign. Had to laugh as they manoevred it round so it would go in easily. A case of "to me, to you" :D
thanks for the update jan...thing are on the move again

lyn

Re: Pics and Park

I seem to remember more than six prefabs though. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought they ran all along the side of the park adjacent to Chester Road? Could there have been as many as 12 or 15, or am I exaggerating again!

They also ran down the other side of the park.. Eachelhurst Rd, from the Bagot to the 'terminus' (by the Saab garage) which was the start of Sutton Coldfield... not part of Birmingham at that time..

Paul Higgins is right; there were around a dozen prefabs between the main entrance to Pype Hayes Park and around into Eachelhurst Road. I recall only two in Eachelhurst Road, but there may have been more at an earlier date. There is a photograph of the Chester Road prefabs in Marian Baxter & Peter Drake's compendium of Erdington photos page 92.

There was also a small estate of prefabs on the opposite side of the road next to the Congregational Church. I used to walk two sisters home there from Yenton School when I was very young.

A further line of prefabs fronted the HP Sauce Sports Ground in Grange Road. The front gardens were always immaculate. They survived until the late 1970s.

This week's update on Wake Green Road prefabs.
More actvity outside some of the prefabs. Skips have gone from some and a digger was seen piling up soil. At the next property there was a pile of soil, I also spotted one man strimming grass. I wonder if they are getting ready to put in new water pipes or electric cables?
Other properties still had skips outside in various states of fullness. (If that is proper English?) I mean some empty, some partially full and some ready for removal.

Attachments

• digger.jpg
    digger.jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 10
  • outside work.jpg
    outside work.jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Wake Green update:
more concrete at the end of last week. Pipe snaking its way in through the front door of one of the prefabs. When I went past this week the door was open to the same property and it looked as if it had a new concrete floor. (Didn't manage a picture because of the security fencing.) Not much else happening outside this week.

Attachments

• Mixer at prefabs.jpg
    Mixer at prefabs.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 6
Wake Green update:
more concrete at the end of last week. Pipe snaking its way in through the front door of one of the prefabs. When I went past this week the door was open to the same property and it looked as if it had a new concrete floor. (Didn't manage a picture because of the security fencing.) Not much else happening outside this week.
thanks jan...nice to see things are moving along nicely

lyn

On the history of prefabs in this country "The Housing (Temporary Accommodation) Act 1944 aimed to deliver 300,000 units within 10 years, within a budget of £150 million.

Through use of the wartime production facilities and creation of common standards developed by the Ministry of Works, the programme got off to a good start and, of 1.2 million new houses built between 1945 and 1951 when the programme officially ended, only 156,623 prefab houses were constructed.Source: Wikipaedia

This must have been an advert to promote and demonstrate the new 'temporary' housing in Birmingham . Viv

Screenshot_20230809_081456_Chrome.jpg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Last week (forgot to post o_O ) this wagon appeared to be delivering concrete but I am not sure where it was being put. Some of the front gardens appear to have been gravelled over.

Attachments

• 1PF.jpg
    1PF.jpg
    525 KB · Views: 21
  • 1PF2.jpg
    1PF2.jpg
    881.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 1PF3.jpg
    1PF3.jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 1pf4.jpg
    1pf4.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 17
  • 1pf5.jpg
    1pf5.jpg
    656.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 1pf6.jpg
    1pf6.jpg
    894 KB · Views: 15
  • 1pf7.jpg
    1pf7.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I lived in Stonehouse during WW2 and remember well the communal shelter which I often frequented with my family, my father was our local ARW, this later became Harry Webbs excellent brain child 'Stonehouse Gang'. I can also visualise the nissen huts and along with my mates having pudding helpings from the Army cook house. When the huts were finished with they became living quarters for returning soldiers to occupy with wives needing a home. My friends brother was the first to occupy, not long before others joined. I heard the sound of the ack ack gun quite local and the barrage balloons. The Anderson shelters were often wet, draughty and bitterly cold. Those were the days

Back